VIC Melbourne IP 400k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Investaa, 25th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Michael Nguyen likes this.
  2. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Is this a better investment as compared to some new4 bedroom houses on a bigger block in places like Wollert?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You won't get 4 BR in Wollert for that price.

Equivalent would be 3br towny:
    1 Banjo Close, Wollert, Vic 3750 - Property Details

The Y-man

4. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Sorry i didn't mean the same price.

So would you prefer the old unit in essendon or a new house in Wollert if the price is similar?

Just asking as someone (one of my friend's friend) in Melbourne suggested me to buy 97 Allumba Way, Wollert, Vic 3750 - View Sold History & Research Property Values - realestate.com.au

But i have no idea about Melbourne as i live in Brisbane. The agent said that this one will sell around $525k

5. The Y-man

Personally I prefer Mernda to Wollert.
    I might be wrong, and things may have changed - but last time I looked Wollert was rather devoid of any public transport options. Mernda on the other hand is getting a new train station.
    As a comparison, I guess Wollert might be like Redbank Plains - an outer sub with loads of farms around it.

For that money, I'd personally be looking at Mill Park or Epping (old part).

The Y-man

6. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

5 Henry Court Epping Vic 3076 - House for Sale #125157210 - realestate.com.au

this was the other one i was suggested as this is with the same agent. Near to Epping train station. Agent indicated will sell for around $540k

7. The Y-man

uh dude/dudette... there's a train running behind it.... and from memory the rails aren't below ground level in that stretch .....don't touch.

The Y-man

8. Pash81

Pash81 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Thanks Man..i didn't even notice that.

9. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Noble Park is going into the mid to high 700ks now for a decent block and bedroom house. IMHO a bit too far out to the CBD for my liking and I think it suffers the same issues that Heidelberg West has. Don't get me wrong, its gentrifying and quite quite quickly too.

10. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Well-Known Member

What do you reckon that Essendon property would rent for Y-Man?

11. The Y-man

$290-300 pw unreno-ed (other than painted)
    2/6 Lincoln Road Essendon Vic 3040 - Flat for Rent #413612387 - realestate.com.au
    1/11 Stanley Street Essendon Vic 3040 - Unit for Rent #420817058 - realestate.com.au

Fascinating - current owner let it out for 295 pw in 2011
    But more importantly paid 331k for it in 2010.
    They aren't going to be making much money out of this sale even if they get the full $379k being asked.... like allowing for stamp duty and sales costs, I'd say they'll barely break even ... let alone holding costs.... anomally here.... we're talking yet another prop effectively for sale for the purchase price of 7 years ago...

The Y-man

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2017
    Luca likes this.
  12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Just how bad are buying properties next to railway lines? How loud are the suburban metro trains in Melbourne? I always wondered whether it is worth buying those as they are close to train stations ....

13. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Buying Next to Railway

14. The Y-man

While the south morang line is not too bad (there's no level crossings past epping staiotn, so they don't have to use horns), I can't remember from my last ride on a train there if the rails were continuous weld ~ I suspect they are as the epping s.morang extension is one of the latest to be built in Melb. So compared to places like say Camberwell or Box Hill where a train seems to lose half its wheel in the expansion gap, it's not too bad

Some might joke it is extremely quiet because all the trains get cancelled ha ha - but let's not go there

The other exception is the vline freight line - eg anything going through Packenham for example - these have the giant freight trains with dual diesel locos - and super extra loud horns for country crossings - and in order not to clog the line, they conveniently run in the middle of the night!

The Y-man