Melbourne Flats

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Mitch15, 13th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I am just curious that's all not looking to do any more of these. each OC is different and there are rules to follow (majority require approval) and is normally clearly stated in the owners corporation certificate. Unless in your case there wasn't any defined rules on specifc items. To remove walls require owners corp approval mainly (from risk perspective) if the builder who does the job is not properly qualified or insured and removes a load bearing wall (which needs to be checked prior to the work occurring). for example if you are building a bathroom or removing and need access to shut off the gas etc for the whole floor to get it done - this needs to be coordinated. Same with fire sprinklers - you need to the fire engineer in to move the sprinkler (to move one cost like $1000 dollars for like a meter) I have removed walls in more than 20 apartments in Melbourne from the high rise to the 3 storey units.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Correct - the templates on the consumer vic site are "models" and provide a (good) basis. Each OC will have different rules in place as they have evolved.

The Y-man

Model rules for owners corporations

If your owners corporation does not make a rule covering any item in the model rules, then the model rule applies.

To make its own rules, your owners corporation should use the headings in the model rules (see Schedule 1 of the Regulations) with a clear statement about whether the model rule applies.

melbournian likes this.
  3. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

I was wondering, how come Sydney has a ton of old apartments on the market in the suburbs like punchbowl etc.., but Melbourne still has nothing but new developments? In sunshine, there's still only 3 old apartments listed from last year and that's it. Will we see more stock anytime soon, similar to Sydney? Footscray is just littered with old apartments yet you only see 3 listed at a time.

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

one of the reason is rezoning (like the fisherman bend) - a lot of devs are occuring around the area and also the ability of the developers to finance and build the deals.

The biggest apartment developer in Melbourne is central equity (which basically build southbank to what it is today) from the 3 storey apartments to the high rise skyscraper. they are pretty cashed up and are still doing devs now. they would have done close to 100 towers now in Melbourne. and also do new land estates in pt cook and Tarneit. They mainly focussed in CBD, south bank, west Melbourne etc. (proximinty to CBD, free transport etc. i mean - they wouldn't be keen to develop in say Maidstone or Dandenong for e.g.

Also a lot of Asian developers (esp SE asia) dominate the high rises in Melbourne CBD and surroundings which is their target base.

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

6. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

7. MichaelGarland

MichaelGarland Well-Known Member

Hello I inspected a 2 bedroom today

I noticed the whole place stinks inside and a lot of big cracks in the internal walls. The price is very good so do you think worth getting a building inspection or it’s a structural issue ? Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Nov, 2019
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

<*got property details behind the scenes*>

Holy moly - looks like major water issues - either rising or falling along with movement issues...... if it were me I 'd get an inspection, but first check the AGM minutes for the OC if anything major is flagged for a big building engineer quote or something ~~ coz there may be other units affected on the ground floor....

The Y-man

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia