Melbourne exodus real or not?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by DueDiligence, 27th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vine Street

Vine Street Active Member

I WFH and am moving to Queensland - already sold

1 starts a new job in regional victoria next week

1 can WFH in regional Victoria

4 have already moved to Sydney - all have work in Sydney / transferred to Sydney

1 in Darwin - has work in Darwin

5 out of the 7 work in hospitality.

Speaking to a mate recently who runs a restaurant in Melbourne, he says it's very hard to get staff at the moment - people have gone home overseas and can't get back, others have moved interstate for work opportunities, others have decided to leave the industry itself with the uncertainty of how long lockdowns would last.

Robbo80 likes this.
  2. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

Every second car in Brisbane has a Vic numberplate.

3. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Exaggeration much?!

4. DueDiligence

every third then lol

5. Vine Street

Vine Street Active Member

Talking to a mate who is a Real Estate Agent in Melbourne - he's said their agency has 3 times as many places available for rent than usual - though the area does include a university

Talking to some agents in SEQ - there are less places available for rent than usual

6. DueDiligence

Some suburbs of the Gold Coast have vacancy rates of 0.1 %. I didn’t even think that was a thing, 1 house in every 1000 for rent.

7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Same on many parts of the Sunshine Coast too right now.. very hard to get a rental.

It's still I think bit too early to tell, but definitely early 2000's or so Vic and NSW numberplates in Qld become a big thing..house prices rising 20% a year also became a thing too.

I don't think anybody is simply just going to pack up straight after Covid.. but in 6-12 months if the job situation doesn't look like much better, maybe they will.

They're all choosing the wrong time to visit here yet again though. Tuesday borders open. Wednesday expected to be a record December heatwave with temps in the mid 30's. Big bush fires on world heritage Fraser

I know many are saying "I don't know hardly anybody leaving Melbourne" but it's a demographics thing.. the biggest groups leaving are apparently 25-35 or so. Only my hunch but I'm guessing not so many on that age group on here.

Last edited: 29th Nov, 2020