Melbourne Cup..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 5th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I folded my bet 2 mins into the race after watching the start. There's been a protest between 4th and 2nd so Sportsbet haven't settled yet.

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

So Ka Ching!!! buying another property with the prize money?

3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I had it each way in the end. Few different bets made throughout the day and finished up so happy days

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Now all you need is this to finish it off. :D

giphy (2).gif

Brady likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nah wont be part of this.... horse whipping no thanks

Serveman and EK01 like this.
  6. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Indulge me in a skite, I bought $50 worth of those package things for just the Cup, we thought we had the winner on one and should be worth about $11 x 3. TAB closed every time I went past, finally got in there and putting tickets through, I noticed they didn’t sing any more, no that they ever sang much on my annual flutter day, now they say “unsuccessful unsuccessful unsuccessful “ then a figure showed on the screen and I am squinting at it coz I didn’t bother to bring my glasses in, I think, it must be a prompt to put bets on the next race. I see the guy getting some rolls of $50 notes and I think, why isn’t he serving me?
    then he says “That’s $2,988” I feel my jaw literally drop and say, how? He says, “Became of the protest, lots of people came in with tickets with the original winners but the protest changed that”.
    My faithful friend and I are off to Bali in February!

Dan Donoghue, Brady and willair like this.
  7. IrishDigger

IrishDigger Well-Known Member

Melbourne Cup - 2020

I've got number 3 for a win and numbers 6 4 3 as a Boxed Trifecta

My wife has number 12 for a win.

Melbourne Cup

8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I agreed with most of what you said, but pigs are smarter than any of these animals, yet killing them doesn't raise an eyebrow for most people.

[​IMG]

Bon_E, EK01, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

There's a race on today?

spludgey likes this.
  10. IrishDigger

1st - Twilight Payment (Ire)
    2nd - Tiger Moth (Ire)
    3rd - Prince of Arran (GB)
    4th - The Chosen One (NZ)

Well done Ireland.

David_SYD likes this.
  11. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Yep unfortunately another horse went down, Anthony Van Dyck and has been euthanised.

spludgey likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

What a brutal sport.........
    If 7 people in 7 years had died at the main event, im sure something would have changed

EK01, Propagate and spludgey like this.
  13. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately a horse dies every week in the sport in Aus racing

They posted a video of this horse playing around in the sand yesterday happy as Larry and loving life, 24hrs later it’s gone all for our own gambling pleasure. Very sad.

I’ve never really had a strong opinion on it and have attended Melbourne cup functions and enjoyed the day, but I think that just changed.

EK01, Momentum, Propagate and 4 others like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

can never understand this and grey hound racing. No pleasure in this.

remember we once had circus’ with performing animals, we have come a long way, this is not acceptable. People wont pay to watch animals suffer

Eventually, same will happen with race horsing

Who thinks whipping a horse is OK?

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2020
    EK01, Propagate, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  15. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Horses dying every week, jockeys also getting killed or injured.

Not my idea of 'sport'

Lizzie likes this.
  16. random

random Well-Known Member

Down Melbourne yesterday going to the airport at 2 , just before cup time itself. Was really strange , not only was there very little traffic shame it's not always like that , but there was nothing Cup anywhere really. No vibe or excitement either as there usually is. To be expected under the circumstances l suppose but eh , at least they still ran the cup.

17. IrishDigger

To me a horse is a noble animal and has been used and abused by humans over the centuries; I cringed when I saw the horses being whipped during the race and I see that the jockey who rode Tiger Moth has been fined $50,000 and banned from a number of races for excessive use of the whip.

There is big money invested in the horse racing industry with influence from those in high places, ranging from the British Royal Family to the Oil Sheiks of Arabia.

I would support the banning of whipping of horses and given that I have a bet once a year, the end of the racing industry wouldn't bother me in the least.

MTR and Lizzie like this.
  18. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

What rubbish this "sport" still exists, along with bull fighting get rid of it.

19. Bon_E

Bon_E Well-Known Member

I'm finding myself more and more torn about this topic lately. I compete in Show Jumping, and at a fundamental level I can't see why racing horses is any more cruel than competing them in jumping. I am 100% sure that if you looked at professional horse riders in Show Jumping/Dressage some of their methods would arguably be considered as cruel (if not more cruel) than those used in racing. It comes down to bad apples in every discipline... this is the same in every animal industry. Greyhounds, dog breeders etc...

I really don't understand why people get so torn up about horses being sent to the slaughterhouse when they will happily eat animals that have been slaughtered through the same process. I love horses, but I don't fundamentally understand why their lives are worth more than cows/pigs etc.

RE the use of the whip - I don't believe horses have a similar pain threshold to us (you should see how brutal they can be to each other out in a paddock play fighting) but it would probably be nice to see a a further tightening up on what whip usage is allowed. That said when I am at a competition I always go into the jump ring with a whip... they're not used to hurt the horse and definitely not to "beat them into submission" (that would never work anyway) but a quick tap if needed can help remind the horse that it has a job to do. Sometimes it can be very necessary if they're having a moment of star gazing or naughtiness, and it can actually make things safer for horse and rider. Whip & spur use is heavily regulated in equestrian sports now which is good.

20. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

No fan of horse racing or greyhounds.