Melbourne August 2021 lockdown

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by kierank, 5th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not yet.

The plan is to "learn to live with COVID" only once we reach sufficiently high double-dose vaccination rates to provide good protection to the majority of the population.

We're a long way from that target - especially in Victoria - so until then, case numbers really do matter.

We're seeing a death rate of over 0.5% of cases in NSW since June 16th (Delta outbreak: 266 deaths from 50,123 cases). That's more than 5 deaths per thousand people infected. (source: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) statistics - News)

The majority of those people dying are not vaccinated or only partially vaccinated.

As of 11th September there had been 5604 COVID hospitalisations in NSW from the current outbreak (source: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infec...nts/covid-19-surveillance-report-20210924.pdf) from 37,807 cases. That's a hospitalisation rate of 14.8% - which means that more than one out of every 6 people contracting COVID have ended up in hospital!

Here is the breakdown of hospitalisations since 16th of June (as of 11th September) in NSW - by age group:

upload_2021-9-24_17-35-0.png

Even kids under the age of 20, we're seeing 5% of infections end up in hospital.

10% of 20 year olds and 15% of 30 year olds end up in hospital too - so those construction workers are not immune to the effects of COVID.

So yes, numbers really do matter at this point in time - until we get more of the population vaccinated.

wylie, gman65 and Stoffo like this.
  2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Fair enough. It will be interesting to see if the government does hold up their end of the bargain once Australia reaches a suitable vaccination level. I just want to go overseas and visit family!

Stoffo likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

We all want similar. Trust me on that one.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Always makes me wonder how they come up with these sorts of figures :rolleyes:

You don't see the same being said about hairdressers or beauty salons :p

Considering the construction industry has run pretty much uninterrupted (Vic) so far a 2 week holiday is NOTHING ;)

I used to do some work in/on construction sites, earnt good money (well above average) and yet many that do don't have a plan, they live week to week and spend like it's never going to end :confused:

Truly Exotic, 2FAST4U and gman65 like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hearing you, as haven't seen my elderly mother for nearly 3 years (although - tell her I said "elderly" and my life will not be worth living) ... but ... honestly believe that we should only properly open once everyone who wants a vaccine, has the opportunity to have them.

ATM the major cities seem to forget there is a whole heck of a country that simply has not had access to anything ... and that's why the rural vaccine levels are so low

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Boat - caravan - big house - 2 brute 4WDs ... everything mortgaged to the hilt. Reminds me of a lot of miners I knew - big money - bigger toys appetite

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Unlikely. Just look at how other Zero Covid nations have managed increased cases even among populations vaccinated above 80%. One hour ago, Singapore reinstated significant restrictions starting Monday.

8. 2FAST4U

In South Australia you can walk into any pharmacy and get a Moderna jab. It might be different in other states but supply here isn't an issue.

I really feel for the people that live in Melbourne and south west Sydney. Australia has suffered very few deaths compared to most other countries throughout the world. However, that has come at a significant cost financially, emotionally, civil liberties etc.

I vent through forums and have never attended any anti-lockdown protests. However, once Australia does have 80% of the population vaccinated I expect these lockdowns to end. If they do not end I'll be happy to get fined 5k and I will be out marching with all the anti-vaxxers and disgruntled citizens because enough is enough!

9. 2FAST4U

I'm not putting up with that and I know dozens of others that won't either. None of us have protested or marched but it is getting to that stage. 5k fine? I'll contest it in court. Our living standards are going to go back decades if this continues.

Edit- One of my ex-teammates relocated to Melbourne a couple of years ago. He's a steel fixer. He's never protested about covid as it hasn't impacted him financially. However, on Monday and Tuesday he was livestreaming on facebook his attendance at the CMFEU protest and the Westgate bridge. Today he was posting facebook stories of him drinking with all his mates. I'll do exactly the same if states still decide to have lockdowns once 80% of the population is vaccinated.

10. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

People won't. It's why ordinary people are being politically radicalised and the government are blind to what is happening.

2FAST4U likes this.
  11. 2FAST4U

There was always going be a large pushback in construction to a vaccine mandate. Then Dan Andrews shuts the whole industry down. So you have the majority of construction workers sitting at home ****** off, and this is no doubt swelling the protests. So for this entire week, you would have had the vaccine hesitant interacting with those who have already had it. Sure there are some hardcore anti vax conspiracy minded people who would never have been swayed. But there are also others who are just hesitant. Now these hesitant people are out marching in the streets together with hardcore anti vaxers.

12. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

That's actually very simple.
    The industry got ample of warnings that it's coming, not much changed, large number of the current cases are big constructions sites - hence the shutdown.

It serves 2 purposes:
    1. Shut the centres where transmitting happening, exactly the same way they close Coles, KFC and schools.
    2. Make sure the bosses are aware that the fun and games are gone. Do the right thing, or otherwise.
      Those brave anti-vaxxers are not gonna be so brave when the boss, out of pure financial interest will tell them to go f themselves.
      No one will give them jobs. All bosses will be in the same position.
      It's not like they can go and start doing IT jobs... It's jab or Centrelink. Up to them.
    Yeah... Yeah... Big promises.
    I'm sure the court will find that you did good.

And then, you're coming with another "great" source of journalism - "Rebel News"
    A totally balanced source of information. One that runs mainly by someone who is convicted wife beater.

You said your sources of information are broad, but you seems to bring clips from the ones who are known to be leaning strongly to the right. Far right.

Great friends.
    He and the rest of the Neo Nazis?
    It's good affiliation. I always wanted to protest about whatever alongside with Nazis. Good people.

Truly Exotic and Lizzie like this.
  13. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

That's actually great.
    A majority said their piece: you can be anti-vaxx till your heart content.
    You are more then welcome to stay home and not mix with the rest of us.

I will not let anyone who's not vaxxed to work for me or in any of my sites, I will not go into establishments that are allowing non-vaxxed to enter and I will put as much pressure I can for any social activity (such as sports and stuff) to not allow parents and kids that are not vaxxed to participate.

You wanna be hardcore anti-vaxxed? Pay the price that comes with it.

14. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

would absolutely laugh my head off, if the company these guys were working for went broke/hired someone else because of these protests, and these guys lost their jobs.

Dan Andrews made me protest, dan andrews made my company go bankrupt, dan andrews made me unemployed, dan andrews made my lifestyle worse because unemployment benefits arent $100k per year, its dan andrews fault that apple didnt realease the new iphone

Lizzie likes this.
  15. Truly Exotic

+1 well said

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's quite interesting - I've been reading up on "when Nationalism becomes Fascism" recently (for a project)

Both are a right/far right conservative attitude - however Nationalism is "aren't we great, look how well we're doing" and basic pride in the achievements of a group/country/community etc. It falls into Fascism when the rhetoric changes to "we would do great if it wasn't for **insert race, religion, other country, other (anything)**" ... so basically when blaming someone else for your own choices resulting in your own situation.

Make America great again - Nationalism
    It's China's/Mexican's/Black peoples fault that we aren't great again - Fascism

Truly Exotic likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

It seems like a significant percentage of the Melbourne population have decided not to bother with COVID restrictions? :(

Live: More than 500 cases linked to grand final weekend gatherings, COVID commander says

More than 500 cases linked to grand final weekend gatherings, COVID commander says

"The contact tracers tell us that there have been significant numbers of social gatherings on Friday and Saturday, over a long weekend. Grand final parties. Other social gatherings, barbecues, backyard visits. This has generated a significant case load," he says.

"A third of our cases are due directly to those different types of social gatherings, as people have dropped their guard, and decided now it's the grand final weekend, it's the long weekend, we deserve a bit of a payback, we deserve a nicer time. And that has now translated into additional 500 cases from when we expected to see today."​

18. Truly Exotic

A bit unfair to label eveyrone with the same paintbrush but you really don't need much brains to be in that industry
    And it's no surprise that there are so many non believers
    Or can't comprehend that next week will come in a week's time

19. Truly Exotic

Bizarre how a long weekend gathering rule breaking = 500 odd new cases whilst all those tradie protests resulted in 1-2 cases

craigc and Optimus like this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Outdoor vs indoor

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia