VIC Melbourne: Are these good suburbs for investment?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rasheda, 3rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

All are good. I like Sunshine most

Rasheda likes this.
  2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Rasheda

I think you're asking the wrong question. You need to more clearly define what you are trying to achieve. Too many suburbs in Melbourne with different things going for them. You'll give yourself a headache trying to choose a suburb unless you have a clearly defined outcome and a clearly defined set of resources you have available to you to get you there.

3. Jackie768

Jackie768 Member

Hi Air_Bender, why would you cross out Thomastown and Lalor? I have them on my list although to investigate so would be keen to hear your thoughts. Jackie

4. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Hi Jackie,

Personally I don't believe it's safe enough to purchase a PPOR in these suburbs. Although they're slowly gentrifying crime is a little too high for my liking. Look up some of the stats from crimewatch.

Just before the new year I was walking up the stairs at Thomastown station when I was almost knocked down by a man running in the opposite direction. Once I got to the top I saw a few people huddled around a girl in school uniform who was clearly in a distressed state. Apparently the guy knocked her to the ground and stole her phone in broad daylight. What astounded me even more was the number of people standing around who didn't bother running after the man.

If I were looking to buy an investment property here however, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd jump in if I had the opportunity. It won't be long before we see the effects of Reservoir's rising prices ripple through to Thomo and Lalor.

Good luck.

Jackie768, Pixie and ellejay like this.
  5. Jackie768

Jackie768 Member

Thanks Air Bender. Yes I think that Thomastown and Lalor will receive a trickle down effect from Reservoir. I will go and have a look at these suburbs as I am not very familiar with them at all. That is one of my concerns and I want to ensure that the tenants will be OK if I buy a property in this areas.

6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

"Safe enough"? What are you talking about honestly!!!!
    More likely to have a home invasion in Sandringham than Lalor or Thomastown, with APEX Gang and what have you..

Your post made me scrunch my face up. Think you should look at the growth stats for Thomastown of late. As for Reservior, there are different segments of it, Regents Park area, but I'd rather be living in "unsafe" Thomastown than the commission Park of Res...

7. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Okay first of all, relax! There's no need to get riled up about my post.

You can 'scrunch' your face all you like but this was purely my personal opinion.

There was absolutely no mention of growth stats of the suburb nor did I make a comparison to Reservoir. And I never said there was no crime in other areas. I have no idea where you're getting this from.

Jackie asked why I wouldn't want to live here and I simply gave her MY honest and personal opinion. I have no issues with you expressing your opinion and why you think I'm dead wrong but I don't appreciate the attack. Last I checked this was an open forum.

FYI- I actually do agree with you that there's good growth in Thomastown, hence why I encourage anyone looking in the area for an investment to jump if they have the funds.

Ta

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We have properties in Lalor (on the T-town end) and Epping (on the S-Morang end) and both have been ok as far as tenants go. Having more issues with late payments from tenants in Prahran and Clayton in recent times!

The Y-man

codeninja, Air_Bender and JacM like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

10. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the troll. He has posted nasty personal attacks about me purely because of where I live. I wouldn't put too much stock in his opinions.

Air_Bender likes this.
  11. G-Dubz

G-Dubz Active Member

What's the best way to go about accessing proposed RGZ areas? I've been googling it and found a few councils which have maps on their site, I can't seem to find it on the Whittlesea council website though - is there a central resource that might have this information?

I never realised that this existed and is the reason why St Albans has sky rocketed. Looks like the rationale for RGZ is to allow for apartments & multi-unit/shared townhouses -do councils ever switch back from an RGZ to a GRZ/NRZ when enough building has occurred?

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

The only places that have reverted is like upper end areas, kew, mt Waverley, balwyn, deepdene mont albert to reduce the amount of density in the area and to retain the values. There was a guy who had an apartment permit some where in armadale or Windsor etc I believe but didn't renew the permit when the new zones came in hence what a 20-30 apartment permit became 2-3 townhouses only.

Changes are done with planning admendment with approval form the minister
    Changing the planning scheme

got a friend who bought in mt Waverley and it become NRZ and he's been trying hard to get it changes with no success (and it is very unlikely to succeed)

u can access it through the planning schemes

just had a look pretty average in whittlesea

upload_2017-3-6_10-39-33.png

13. melbournian

milobear likes this.
  14. G-Dubz

G-Dubz Active Member

Thanks. That's really helpful.

It's just that some real estate agents are now speculating in the property ads about Thomastown becoming RGZ - not much evidence of it so perhaps a bit misleading?

15. melbournian

this was all rezoned last year I believe seems like just to high street (after the thomastown primary school) and following up the markets in lalor
    upload_2017-3-6_13-22-46.png

upload_2017-3-6_13-21-23.png

16. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

It's probably a two year Council process to change a General Residential Zone to a Residential Growth Zone. Keep an eye on Council websites and what they are doing public consultation about. They'll always develop a Structure Plan before any major rezone, and the Structure Plan will indicate what big changes the future might hold. But you have to be careful because the State Govt has to approve the rezone, and they may tinker with boundaries or refuse the whole thing.

17. melbournian

Rasheda likes this.
  18. G-Dubz

G-Dubz Active Member

wow that's great thanks, I must have missed that!

melbournian likes this.
  19. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

@Melbournian where is the link to the first table in your post just above? I clicked on the link you had, but only took me to a 144page document.

Thanks.

20. Rockstar911

Rockstar911 New Member

Hi

Have you thought about Werribee and sourrounding area, Properties are booming in these suburbs