Melbourne Airport Rail

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by ATANG, 12th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

It's coming! Which route do you prefer? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

How fast can the fastest route be? And how much will the tickets price be? The current Skybus is around 25 min to 1 hr depends on traffic.
    The Graigieburn route is a joke, the travel time will well exceed 1 hour if make stops in all stations, hence defeats the purpose of having an Airport rail.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the Craigieburn route (yes, it's slower & longer but vastly more superior.

It utilises the existing track/smaller extension of rail network, fully integrated, less site acquisition. Who says the trains will/have to stop at every station?

Direct route - lots of tunnels = $$$, will only benefit a few select areas along the route ie higher margins for developers and does nothing for housing affordability.

Flemington route - again favours developer @ knifepoint etc

Albion route - will possibly be downgraded to match the metro & sold off.

Is speed the concern or convenience? A train will kill the traffic issue. However If there's a platform access charge like Sydney airport, the cost becomes prohibitive once your group exceeds few people and the alternatives are cheaper.

Toon likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yup, that's the biggest mistake they made with the Sydney Airport train link - it is simply uneconomical when travelling with more than 2 people due to the high cost per person - especially when the inconvenience of it is taken into account when compared to the alternatives.

Train link to the airport needs to be convenient and it needs to be significantly cheaper to travel on than the alternative options.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Same with skybus - $20-something per person means taxi is cheaper if there is 2 or more pax.

The Y-man

6. The Y-man

Craigie plan is pretty much what is there already except right now you transfer to 901 bus at Broady station.

The Y-man

Greyghost likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

How does that compare with the adult/2 kids online return fare of $35 (iirc) - I thought that would be hard to beat.

8. Scott No Mates

Brisbane seems to have got it right with the sky train - pity it runs on restricted hours.

9. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

the Albion East option is the best considering cost, regional connectivity, construction complexity etc.

10. The Y-man

I just checked fairs and looks like there are discounted online fares and they are now looking a bit more competitive.

SkyBus - Melbourne City Express fares

The Y-man

11. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

It seems the Brisbane airport train has improved, it's every 15 mins rather than 1 hour that it was. It still ends at 8pm. It's a public service type service.

$18.50 per passenger. How embarrassing. Why is travelling to the airport more expensive than travelling to woodridge?

The cost of getting myself and a bag to the airport is about the same for a cab or a train. If there's two of us then a cab is definitely cheaper. Rail fail! - but improving.

12. willfong

willfong Active Member

Direct or Flemington but I am biased as we have a couple of properties near Highpoint.

13. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Don’t you mean knifepoint? ;)

14. willfong

willfong Active Member

No I mean Highpoint. That nickname is very outdated, How many donkey years ago was the last time someone got knifed in Highpoint? I can recall many more recent knifing news in other Melbourne shopping centres but they don't get a nickname for it.

noobinator and tee like this.
  15. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

I am going to go out on a limb here and recommend choosing the "Craigieburn" route from the above choices which will seem to benefit the large amount of people that work and reside in this corridor and world be very beneficial for those that work at the airport and live in the suounding suburbs.

I would also then consider the option of an elevated type light rail that goes above the Tullamarine Freeway and somehow get this light rail operating between the airport and Southern Cross station with no stops whatsoever and by doing this you can get people into Southern cross without any stops and in a timely manner. From this point they can disperse onto any other train line or venture into the cbd.

But this all has to be an affordable and attractive so those with cars or currently use taxis/hire cars/uber will prefer to use the new public system as it will actually save them money in doing so.

Am I ignorant in thinking our major airport would benefit from 2 types of rail systems and the freeways would become less congested?

Regards,

alicudi

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Craigieburn route because it’s cheapest to build.

17. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Flemington - not as expensive as direct tunnel, second most direct, but will be good to have a station in Victoria Uni

Least like - Craigieburn - unless they have express to and from Southern Cross, how about capacity? Is it going to negatively affect the current train service?

18. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Actually i think melb needs more an inner circle and outer circle lines more than an airport rail to be honest. The main issue with the congestion is everybody needs to come to city to get to anywhere.

19. Scott No Mates

Sounds like Sydney

Stoffo likes this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I think they should just move the airport closer :D

Preferably in front of my doorstep

Westie likes this.