VIC Melbourne Airport New Runway

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by mytwocents, 14th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mytwocents

mytwocents Well-Known Member

Today, Melbourne Airport announced that it is adamant that the North-South direction is the more sustainable direction for its flight path given crosswinds would hamper flights due to crosswinds if it was to build east to west.

As a result, the proposed runway plans from north to south will be built on the west side of the Airport that will see more traffic noise over Keilor & Altona. I am unsure if anyone knows if other suburbs will be affected?

Also, Essendon Airport plan to build another runway in the near future and I was wondering if they will now go North to South as a result of Melbournes findings?

I'm sure this will impact a lot of investors who plan a strategy to invest in the North West..

Thoughts?

2. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

I wonder how many suburbs this will affect, would st albans and kealba be affected?

3. mytwocents

mytwocents Well-Known Member

And Sunshine house prices

4. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

It will also affect houses much further afield. Where I am in Richmond we have planes flying directly over the house when they are using the n-s runway so I am looking forward to more noise from the increased capacity.

Tools

5. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

No way, exactly how noisy is it from Richmond? That is quite worrying

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

How about a train line to go with it?

7. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

IMO, a train line to the airport running through St Slbans and Sunshine is a terrible idea, but there aren't too many options either :(

8. Kriv

Kriv Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="mytwocents, post: 755983, member:

Also, Essendon Airport plan to build another runway in the near future and I was wondering if they will now go North to South as a result of Melbournes findings?

[/QUOTE]

Do you have a source on this particular point? Unless you’ve got insider knowledge I can’t see this advertised publicly. If anything they have announced they are narrowing their runways to build more commercial buildings on their precincts instead.

Generally speaking their master plan did say that whatever MEL does they would have to follow suit so they will have to increase usage of their N/S runway in a few years. Not sure what it means for their EW runway and associates flight path.

In general I’d be cautious of investing in the suburbs affected especially before they showcase new flight paths.

9. hdb

hdb Active Member

10. tedjamvor

tedjamvor Well-Known Member

With the 2nd N-S runway being built for dual ops, it's expected that the E-W runway would be used 1% of the time (3 to 4 days per year), basically only when crosswinds dictate as such.

Those living in broadmeadows and surrounds should see a noticeable reduction in noise generated by aircraft.

11. Moses

Moses Active Member

Will it make any difference in property prices in broadmeadows?

12. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

For all of you that own properties that can be subdivided, get your applications in now before your zoning changes to something potentially more restrictive. I wonder how this proposed new runway impacts on the holding pattern that planes are put into.

13. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

what areas would be impacted?

14. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know at this stage. Flight paths and holding patterns would need to be determined and then councils "may" very well make some changes to accommodate this.

15. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

why would it be terrible?

16. TangibleGoodwill

TangibleGoodwill Well-Known Member

Perfect just bought in Keilor Village.

I currently live on a main road and was looking forward to a quiet relocation.