VIC Melbourne 2022 - Post a Bargain

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Properwin, 21st Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

I noticed there are “Post a Bargain” threads for Sydney, Brisbane, Perth but not for Melbourne?

Does this mean there aren’t any bargains in Melbourne?

I’ll start off with a property that initially looks like a bargain - $600k for 6400m2 land in Cranbourne - but it’s really likely not due to all the caveats on the land.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-vic-cranbourne+west-203265659

C60E8093-0030-4A87-B163-E5817996F850.jpeg

Please post some real Melbourne bargains here if you find any! :)

rnadella likes this.
  2. 10khours

10khours Well-Known Member

Dmash and Properwin like this.
  3. Properwin

4. Dmash

Dmash Well-Known Member

I have been monitoring the market quite closely in inner east/north. I’m not seeing bargains yet but I am seeing a lot (I mean a lot) of properties being passed in and not getting their expected ranges.

1/9 Lonsdale Street, Bulleen, Vic 3105
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-bulleen-138449447

This home initially had a range of $1.28-1.35m. Went to auction and had no bids, now sitting on market for $1.28m. Vendor obviously expected $1.4m based off their range but the market just isn’t willing to pay that…maybe 12m ago it may have been different but things have changed. This is just one of many examples.

Properwin likes this.
  5. Angelina

Angelina Well-Known Member

This one went for $1.25m has bigger land and is much nicer too , even though it's backed to auto warehouses. https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-huntingdale-137662246

That whole pocket is full of industrial traffic.

Properwin likes this.
  6. Properwin

I agree this looks nice inside but $1.4m probably too high expectations for the vendor. The market does look like it’s softening.

I agree it’s nicer. But not too sure about backing onto auto warehouses. Noise and pollution.

Angelina and Dmash like this.
  7. kopite21

kopite21 Member

8. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

What a difference 12 months makes. Was at this auction last weekend, very few attendees, mostly neighbors (real ones, not from the show:)), passed in without any bid (vendor bid at $1.22m).

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-vermont+south-138818659

House next door sold around a year ago - festive atmosphere, big crowd, news crew, sold for $1.6m.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-vermont+south-135843238

Obviously TV series Neighbors finishing (these houses are part of the fictional Ramsay Street) and the chatter of heritage control had an impact but market has definitely slowed.

In saying that I have noticed few surprisingly strong results as well - my hypothesis is that really good, well presented properties are still achieving good prices but everything else is struggling to meet vendors' expectations.

9. Zyzz

Zyzz Well-Known Member

You can already feel the hot market has coolled hard. It usually takes a while for people to realise but you can clearly see it now. I'm really hoping we get a nice 10-15% retraction so I can buy more and honestly a nice property crash would be the best but knowing melbourne and sydney I dont see it ever happening.

10. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

House looks ok, but there's probably not much natural light in the afternoon. Inspections will probably be in the mornings :)

Considering the size of the block, it looks like a lot of wasted space with not much room to play in the backyard.

House was last sold in March 2017, they got tenants in Sept 2017 & then tried to sell in 2019. This might not be an issue with the house, but sounds strange.

I would want to find out more about the charity next door. i.e. Do they have lots of visitors, what hours/days are they open, etc?

11. Vish.Altruistic

Vish.Altruistic New Member

12. Zyzz

Zyzz Well-Known Member

craigc likes this.
  13. Vish.Altruistic

I am looking at this too and have been for the inspection. It needs around 80-100k worth of reno. But not sure on the street, as its on the main/busy road. Any thoughts/views on this would be appreciated..thanks.

14. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

Thoughts are you've just gained yourself some competition unfortunately mate ;-)
    But there are plenty of other properties to come up and options coming up are likely.

Vish.Altruistic likes this.
  15. Zyzz

Zyzz Well-Known Member

The location is absolutly horrid. North road literally has constant traffic flowing throughout the day. I looked at an appartment on the corner of north and warrigul road and when standing on the balcony got a gulp of diesel smoke to the mouth.

Also road proximity has been associated with incidence of non-Alzheimer's dementia, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease and multiple sclerosis so I would only look at this for invesment.

I do all my renovations myself but yeah looking at this could be 30-100k.

Depending how desperate the seller is might be a nice lowball property for easy flip with minor reno.

EDIT: It was listed 28 Feb Been on the market 59 days. Propvalue says it should be circa 900-1m. Could be an easy win, would defs get a hardcore building inspection though and also check the rear property to make sure no riff raff live there.

jbv and Vish.Altruistic like this.
  16. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

17. Vish.Altruistic

Its under NRZ planning zone, max fence length is 2m. I agree, mature plants will help.

18. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

19. Canyon

Canyon Well-Known Member

OnTheMarket and The Y-man like this.
  20. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

I meant suburb-wise, but I can see your point.
    I'm not familiar with the Showgrounds, wouldn't that road only be busy during events, which I think wouldn't be too frequent? Maybe a few times a year? I'm starting to look into the surrounding suburbs and would appreciate all thoughts.