Health & Family Medication and Pets

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 8th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Has anyone used human medication for your pets?

A couple of years ago my dog had an eye infection and my vet told me to buy certain eye drop product from pharmacy used for humans and that it was perfectly safe. I saved around 70% on the cost.

My West Highland Terrier suffers from allergies, common with this breed, I use Benedryl 25 gm, works well and once again safe. If I purchased this medication from a vet they would possibly charge double.

I am not advocating that you should necessarily do this in all cases as it is dependent on dog, symptoms etc.

However it is interesting what medication you can use for your pets to save money just google, including dosage, product etc.

MTR:)

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I do use some human products (food) just not meds - probiotic, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil etc.
    I am not comfortable using human meds because I would have no idea what to do if something goes wrong.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was once in a vet's house for a period of time. His family took horse vitamins. He said they were the same thing, but the quantities were different.

Dosages would be quite different.

And while some medications may work, others would not. That's why they still have to test on humans.

4. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

You could also use Betadine on dogs for the same purpose.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My previous dog had bad skin allergies which would lead to fungal outbreaks (went with the breed, not hygiene) so - instead of buying the expensive doggy anti-fungal shampoo - he suggested I use Selsun blue at a fraction of the cost

EN710 likes this.
  6. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it medication, but I have used superglue on the flap of my dogs ear before.. Vet advised me to do so..
    Worked a treat to close to puncture..
    "Don't do this at home kids"!!!

MTR likes this.
  7. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

For us it's usually just a case of paying for whatever they need. We don't have children yet so we are not juggling baby and fur baby costs..

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Cats don't handle aspirin (not in human doses at least)

9. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

Dogs can use human antihistamines (dosage is always a bit more difficult to determine though). I would always double check with your vet first. My MIL is a registered vet so we often take her advice on these things. We usually just keep animal antibiotics in the cupboard for when situations happen.

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

My parents dog has arthritis. Among other things, they give her (vet recommended) a human fish oil capsule a day. Have to pierce it and squirt over dog food.

I have to look after the dog on my parents many SKIng trips. It's so much work I'm thinking of hiring a nurse next time they go away.

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes, all the time. And I use the dogs (once I found it it was literally the human medication anyway).

MTR and EN710 like this.
  12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

you can use camomille tea bags (after diluted in hot water let them cool off and then slowly) use it to wipe the eye. Or standard sterile eye wash which are used for people who use contact lens.

Westies suffers from a lot of allergies even grass.

MTR likes this.