Media Bias and Accuracy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree
    But it also highlights not to believe everything you read

Was Lancet error an oversight or their bias??
    political????Its not the first time and it wont be the last

“The Lancet” on Health and Climate Change: A Tale of Editorial Bias

Opinion | Political Bias, the Lancet and Coronavirus

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2020
    twisted strategies likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That goes for everyone.

twisted strategies and MTR like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thank you

that has been my point for a long time

4. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Neither do I. Happy to issue a mea culpa where it's warranted and it is on the second linked video with Eric Weinstein (I was actually supposed to link an identical looking second video of his which didn't have the conspiratorial nonsense).There's nothing conspiratorial in the first or third though.

Some of this does make mainstream publications (Coleman Hughes writes for The Spectator, The New York Times, Wall Street journal etc) and all of this is available on the mainstream web (just look at the following intellectual dark web member Sam Harris has).

This doesn't detract from the fact that the most proximate forms of mainstream media in America and their opinionated columnists are intellectually dishonest in how they are framing the current issues in America. This is not due to some imagined conspiratorial agenda but rather a business model that derives monetary benefit from a product consistent on partisanship and confirmation bias (Fox News, CNN). It's also an environment that much of the honesty on sensitive issues such as race is discouraged because the ensuing outrage is bad for business and possibly career ending.

Lizzie, MTR, TAJ and 2 others like this.
  5. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

now i am fairly old , and the meds have me a little fuzzy , but i remember science as being 'the pursuit of truth ' , not the arbiter and sole custodian of the truth , sadly history has repeatedly proven that concept wrong in practice

since Youtube has openly declared a policy of removing controversial content , no matter how credentialed the content provider , those searching for answers are looking deeper and further and distrusting ALL medical announcements on popular information outlets

i don't care if an opinion is half-baked as long as you can explain it lucidly so i can think on the opinion IF and where it has valid points and flaws .. half-right is still better than completely wrong

what refutes science .. i suggest better data , and research a dash of creative questioning is often an essential ingredient

i remember floating a theory to an Astrophysicist and because i have no degrees it was dismissed out of hand .. so the cosmos is still a confusing mess despite what some are being paid , maybe science needs LESS funding to achieve better results

MTR and TAJ like this.
  6. George Smiley

No honest scientist will claim peer review is perfect, ie Richard Dawkins has pointed out its limitations and problems on more than one occasion. The problem is all of us amateurs on the web using this charge of imperfection to greatly exaggerate the extent of these problems, using it to cast doubt on whole disciplines of science and decades of acquired knowledge. It's often done by those with a political agenda and want reality to fit the prism of their own ideological beliefs. Look at the number of people who are happy to question decades of vigorously tested peer review science and in the next breathe unashamedly accept the conclusions of a crackpot (who never puts his/her conclusions out there for scrutiny or supports theories that have been shown to be wrong on numerous occassions).

shorty, Lizzie, wylie and 7 others like this.
  7. twisted strategies

'crack-pot' in whose opinion .. does the theory have merit , does it explain unanswered questions

just because you disagree with consensus doesn't automatically make you wrong

the Wright Brothers made powered flight possible with one simple tweak to the existing science , so who was the crack-pot the experts who couldn't or the amateurs that could

MTR likes this.
  8. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Seeing that Science is derived through observation and experiment it will always be open to scrutiny. This in turn lends itself to bias and peoples perceived notions of accuracy.
    Personally, I view this as a good thing. Being able to formulate our own opinions is a positive of being human, and being able to respectfully disagree with the consensus at times has heralded great advancements in the evolution of the species.

Lizzie, geoffw and The Y-man like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But yet They continue to use a flawed method which could impact on people’s lives

10. George Smiley

And the best people to scrutinise it, and the best do constantly, are those who armed with above average intelligence, years of PHD study and decades of empirical observations to draw upon. That's a lot more than your clueless armchair expert surfing the web seeking out sources to confirm his/her own bias. We live in a curious world where one's political beliefs determines ones belief on scientific reality which is absurd because there's zero connection between the two. Not accepting that the moons gravitational pull effects the worlds tides because you don't believe in gay marriage or government welfare programs is absurd, yet this is exactly what millions of people do consistently in other scientific areas (even Prime Ministers and Presidents...sigh)

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The misinformation spun about scientific issues can not only be misleading but can have serious consequences.

For the average Joe or Jill .....There is no way of checking the accuracy of a paper release, a journal etc unless you are an expert in the field

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

From the link you posted earlier which I quoted, .2% of the 1.4m articles submitted annually are retracted.

1. This means that there is a process by experts in the field to review published papers, and those found wanting retracted - or perhaps corrected. The average Joe or Jill doesn't need to review them, experts are doing this - and those papers with a potentially big impact will be examined even more closely.

2. 99.8% are accurate from the start. It seems you want to reject anything scientific because of the .2% which have had problems - yet you quote from publications which have a low degree of factual reporting.

13. twisted strategies

reject NO , analyze further YES ,
    after all a correct paper might be the next important stepping stone in real progress , was it Newton who declared that he only stood on the shoulders of giants ..

the flawed papers MIGHT cost human lives , and to me each human live could be important
    i have learned much from sick and old men and women , i hope to learn more from others

MTR likes this.
  14. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Can you stop being so reasonable?

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Dont you love the media

so selective on what they like to report to create most impact and it works well.

This morning there has been ongoing outrage over the woman who refused to wear a mask at Bunnings.

We even have media outlets asking people to phone in with comments, further enraging the mob. Not sure how this will help

On the flip side very little coverage on the scheduled Black Live Matters protest, which looks like will go ahead regardless of verdict. Imagine the impact of this when our country has chosen lockdown

Hard to take certain media platforms seriously

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2020
    Serveman likes this.
  16. wylie

There must be coverage on the BLM protest as you've read about it.

I don't think any protest should be going ahead right now. But if it does, it will most definitely be reported on by all media.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Read what I said??

This issue pales into insignificance compared to the mask issue. its no wonder people become so cynical

That’s right there should be no protest, but its going under the radar.

I dont see media placing much attention to this topic.

Same as last time there was the BLM protest, government also turned a blind eye

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2020
  18. wylie

I would assume the number of people in Victoria who are wearing masks would pale into insignificance when compared to the number of protestors.

But the risk is still there. The protest should not happen. Not now. Not with the numbers rising daily.

And we all read about the BLM protest. I didn't notice anyone not reporting it or turning a blind eye.

Illegal BLM protest slammed as 'the most dangerous thing you can do in a pandemic'

George Smiley likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Disagree - the video images showing numerous entitled stoopid twits refusing to wear a masks produces a significant opportunity to point about how childish and pathetic these people are ... and gives an opportunity to explain what one's real rights are re refusal of entry and mask wearing fines - cripes - imagine threatening to sue the police, pretty sure they have a better understanding of the law than the silly looking finger shaker.

BLM protests haven't happened yet - and may not happen - so atm no real news there. But if you google "BLM protest may go ahead" you get pages of news articles from the FinReview up to Sky. Maybe you need to adjust where you're seeking your news.

Wear your damn mask

wylie likes this.
  20. wylie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.