Media Bias and Accuracy

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 11th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Interesting that 9 out of the 10 stories are anti-Democrat in some form

As for the last one ... well ... not entirely fake as he did make his fortune running a restaurant and brothel in Canada although he wasn't a pimp as such ... "In May 1898, Trump and Levin moved to Bennett, British Columbia,[16] a town known for prospectors building boats in order to travel to Dawson. In Bennett, Trump and Levin opened the Arctic Restaurant and Hotel, which offered fine dining, lodging and sex in a sea of tents.[3]:85 The Arctic was also originally housed in a tent, but demand for the hotel and restaurant grew until it occupied a two-story building.[3] A letter to the Yukon Sun newspaper described the Arctic:

For single men the Arctic has excellent accommodations as well as the best restaurant in Bennett, but I would not advise respectable women to go there to sleep as they are liable to hear that which would be repugnant to their feelings – and uttered, too, by the depraved of their own sex."
    Frederick Trump - Wikipedia

... and his father was arrested for participating in KKK riots in 1927 but that he was some sort of power broker in the KKK is false.
    PolitiFact - Here's what's known about Fred Trump's arrest after a KKK clash

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Business Insider - Media Bias/Fact Check

Interesting this media platform is moderate left, probably calling a spade a shovel...

according to fact check.... business insider rates high on facts

this article pretty much tells me what I already know. Sources you are quoting may not be right?? I dont have time to review these

This is going to become bigger than ben hur:)

Last edited: 12th May, 2020
    Serveman likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Scientists can be academics, but academics are not necessarily scientists. Science is not subject to "points of view" and debate.

The steps of the scientific method go something like this:
    1. Make an observation or observations.
    2. Ask questions about the observations and gather information.
    3. Form a hypothesis — a tentative description of what's been observed, and make predictions based on that hypothesis.
    4. Test the hypothesis and predictions in an experiment that can be reproduced.
    5. Analyse the data and draw conclusions; accept or reject the original hypothesis. Modify to a secondary hypothesis if necessary.
    6. Reproduce the experiment until there are no discrepancies between observations and theory.
    7. Accept the results regardless of original hypothesis
    The great thing about science is that it's true, whether you believe in it or not

Propagate, wylie and geoffw like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

True in most cases if we take natural sciences etc where there is a positivist/realist view. In other word, reality is objective and exists no matter who views it.

However in my field of social sciences, there are aspects which are deeply interpretivist - that is, reality is defined by the viewer. For example, if you take the example of a "company", it can be objectively defined in terms of ACNs, org structure, and various "artefacts", but it does not explain the way people feel about companies, where the psychological boundaries of a company exist eg The org structure is merely representative of the reality, and the true meaning of it is embedded in the way each individual interprets it.

This was the basis for my quip about "fake news" above.

Firstly - does it exist? This is a pun on the terminology, as if it is fake, does it exist? What if the sources talking about fake news is fake too? As one famous Roman dude allegedly said "Indeed, what is truth?"

Secondly, if the fake is believed and becomes entrenched as "truth", then in the minds of those believing it, it has become "their reality". Thus is born urban legends and myths - BUT how much of our own history is built on fake news? We haven't got time machines - even in recent history we can only conjecture on the accuracy of various potentially subjective observations. Each individual focuses on different things - the characteristics of reflexivity.

In the world of investing, we constantly work with the intepretivist realities - we see it all time:
    - Mindset - You can do it! Self belief, confidence
    - The glass is half full
    - How to define wealth
    - You make your own luck

(You can tell I am working on the philosophical aspects in the methodology section of my thesis....:rolleyes:)

The Y-man

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

sounds logical but not necessarily always works

I love this blog
    What It Means When Scientists Disagree

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Dont mean to be rude but Can you summarise this

conclusion

7. The Y-man

It poses the question: "Is reality subjective or objective?" :)

The Y-man

8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know it's called social sciences nowadays ... but is the field true science or more simply a new name for what we used to call social studies?

9. The Y-man

There is an interesting difference in the definition of "science"

For example:
    SCIENCE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
    Definition of SCIENCE

Your understanding would be that defined in the cambridge dicitonary.
    Merriam Webster takes a wider perspective.

Social Sciences covers aspects of society that today includes business, management, law, economics, history, politics..... areas that are very closely related to investing!

An old but interesting piece of work by Lewin:
    http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2013_07.dir/pdfeF83xvxgaM.pdf

The Y-man

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - I'm rather old school and would define science more in the closed resultant fields of biology, physics, chemistry and math rather than the "airy fairy" open ended subjects.

Doesn't make the wider perspective any less demanding and interesting

Shazz@ likes this.
  11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I agree. In fact, I hate having to define what type of science I did at uni. When ‘basic or fundamental’ science is the most purest form. Then I get the whole, ‘there’s nothing basic about science”. *Shaking my head*
    I am okay with ‘applied sciences’ which cover sport science, occupational health etc, but social science?

Lizzie likes this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So applied sciences are ones maintaining social distancing?

13. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Please clarify, not sure what you mean.
    Don’t want to derail the thread. Feel free to delete my post.

14. geoffw

Sorry, an attempt at humour which went flat.

If 'Applied Science' is to exclude social science, it should keep a distance, hence social distance, a common phrase these days.

Shazz@ likes this.
  15. The Y-man

...too deep...... :D:D:D:D

The Y-man

16. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

That’s hilarious :D

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2020
    TMNT likes this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It is on every News platform. It ain’t fake!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 12th May, 2020
  19. geoffw

What I've posted in the thread about media bias and accuracy were my comments as a private citizen, not as a mod.

I was called out initially for quoting from CNN - fair enough.
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-08-02-39-31.jpg

But then a number of articles from the Daily Mail were posted, one in particular which pointed to Germany's big increases in infection rates. The source was rated by mediabiasfactcheck as being quite inaccurate and very right leaning.
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-08-03-11-82.jpg

The facts in the article were strictly correct, but based on an increase due probably more from a weekly cycle than an overall increase. (Subsequent reports from other sources stated that there was an increase in other towns, which had then decided to close down again). Much smaller numbers overall overemphasized percentage increases caused by the lower weekend reporting. While the numbers in the story were strictly accurate, the interpretation given by selective use of statistics was not. (Remember "lies, damned lies and statistics").

Other more reputable agencies have been reporting an increase, but at least, some of them state that results are subject to error, and that care should be taken in interpreting statistics
    Infection rate rises in Germany as lockdown eases

I'm going to be careful to try not to quote from CNN in future. I may well, as a private citizen and not as a mod, choose to call out dubious sources, especially where they report on matters of opinion or facts subject to bias.

kierank likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for explanation

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.