Me in the media - apparently.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by BuyersAgent, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Haha - nice!

It's a good write up - you've done well.

I've had a few broker mags contact me for a quick chat. I then find out the next day that I've suddenly become some sort of authoritative figure on a topic in their magazine - which we spent 18 seconds discussing on the phone.

Cheers

Jamie

733 and BuyersAgent like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

how do you not know of an article published written by you???

4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It happens.

Busy day - get a call from a journo. They ask a few quick questions - you provide a few responses. Get on with the rest of the day - open a mag a couple of weeks later and there you are.

Cheers

Jamie

Jacque, BuyersAgent and TMNT like this.
  5. BuyersAgent

^^^^^ What @Jamie Moore said, exactly, as I didn't write anything just answered quick q's on the phone. I guess journos work on deadlines too so unless you are in their ear asking for updates they just move on, no biggie. Thanks for the tips and encouragement Jamie.

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Be happy it was pretty accurate :)

I chatted with a journo a little while ago and forgot about it.

Someone emailed me the article a while after it was published. It had been edited so significantly I was wondering how much of it I actually said.

733, wombat777 and BuyersAgent like this.
  7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

That's the interesting thing. You say 'authoritative figure on the topic', which you may well be. But imagine all the interviews that are conducted with 'professionals' who aren't really at the top of their field and their views get published as 'the word' in magazines and other media. Then readers act on these views because it was in a magazine. Tells us alot about the quality of info we read sometimes doesn't it?

8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Right @BuyersAgent. A few positive stories about the area please. Finished buying and would love another lift in prices.

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Congratulations Matt
    It's a great feeling to be recognised as an authority.
    Keep up the excellent work
    X

10. BuyersAgent

Don't worry Chilli every piece of evidence I find tells me we are only getting started. I tried to get an 11 villa site for a client recently (DA approved) but the owner in the mean time had another DA done for 5 lot subdiv, while we were doing DD he took deposits on all 5 lots at asking price in less than 2 weeks and we lost it. I think a short pause with APRA and bank negativity in Wgong, but then another run, and certainly down further we haven't even noticed the slowdown.

You are too kind Xenia, I don't think I like the word authority too much it makes me feel old and mean, but if someone wants to listen I guess that is a good sign!

Xenia likes this.
  11. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Matt,
    as a pointer , understand that the journalist has an agenda.. Selling Newspapers (ok print) Perhaps I suggest that if you are interviewed, you ask for a copy for authorisation to publish, before it is published? If they have anything to hide, they wont be happy to show you!
    I hope this helps

12. retire@45

retire@45 Well-Known Member

I work for a media company, in short unless you state up front "this is off the record" a Journo will do whatever they see fit with what you say. I found out the hard out way myself.

Xenia likes this.
  13. BuyersAgent

Great wisdom thanks @SeafordSunshine

Hmm, that sounds like a story @retire@45 ? Care to tell us??? (it can be off the record if you like)

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Hehe careful this doesn't happen

BuyersAgent likes this.
  15. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

There was an article done about 2 yrs ago by a Property Investor Magazine about what we as BAs thought about some new land estates on the outskirts of Newcastle.

We were phone interviewed for it. We were negative on the growth prospects – no character, nothing nearby apart from the M1/F3 freeway, too much supply Vs demand, no services, etc. This will probably soften prices in the area.

When I saw the finished article I was flabbergasted. They cut our mainly negative comments, and took the 2 positive ones we made completely out of context, and combined them with other vested interests. Total spin doctoring job, in my opinion. Oh....... and then placed an advert for the estate's developers right on the next page!

16. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

They'll adjust your numbers :p

17. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Nice one Matt! I'm excited for our little corner of paradise.

18. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

Good article mat!

19. sammmeee

sammmeee Well-Known Member

I'm a now former media "expert"..
    I hate to say it. I would call the people that I know are going to give me what I want not necessarily the ones that are at the top of the tree.
    Depending on the medium:
    For Articles : I want a great quote I can work a story around or a quote that backs the story up..
    For tv: well groomed and can put two words together.
    For radio: a good voice that can keep listeners interested and can get a message across quickly.

If I could get controversy or break a story that could start a frenzy..bring it on (had some crackers)

Don't care if they are not the leaders in their field as I have found that many were not media appropriate. Often too guarded and couldn't simplify their topics to the masses.

Anyways my two cents worth. Good job and hopefully the start of more for you!

Edited to point out I'm not saying that the journo that called you went by these rules..

20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I was quoted verbatim after explicitly stating "I don't want this published, but..."

And that was the last time I ever talked to the media.

chindonly likes this.