McKenzie Bond have closed shop and disappeared...

Discussion in 'NRAS & NDIS SDA' started by euro73, 16th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Anyone with McKenzie Bond...feel free to contact me and I can give you some guidance on what to do next.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Registered Office address after an ASIC search ?
    The company isnt struck off or deregistered or indicating insolvent reporting.

3. euro73

Fair Trading froze their accounts this week , Allegedly.

1.5 Mil of state incentives not paid to investors , allegedly.

They were allegedly still taking direct debit rentals as late as Monday though , before their trust account was allegedly frozen ...

Shakes head ..... allegedly

4. TB1

TB1 New Member

Hi euro73, I am with with McKenzie Bond and am in shock at the moment. How do i contact you to discuss what to do? Thanking you in advance

5. euro73

PM me

6. Laneyvb

Laneyvb New Member

Hi TB1,
    Just trying to compare situations with others also with McKenzie bond. Did you get paid the state component for last fin year ?
    I did not.

Thanks

7. euro73

Every owner with a McKenzie Bond NRAS incentive should be receiving notification today or tomorrow that its been placed into administration...

You need to switch to an alternative NRAS provider and get a new tenancy manager . I would suggest contacting a new provider urgently to get the ball rolling...

8. Laneyvb

Laneyvb New Member

They actually just manage the NRAS part of mine it is rented out by somewhere else so that part is ok.
    From what dss has said a new NRAS provider can't initiate a transfer rather there is a DSS form to fill in to request transfer. The department then have to approve if they think a transfer is warranted and they send you a few new providers to choose from.
    Also of the company gets dissolved we all get auto transferred by the department but that doesn't happen if they exit administration with a deal.

If there are any Vic based providers you would recommend I am keen to know so I can see if they are on the list if my transfer request gets processed.

9. euro73

doesnt need to be VIC based. Go with AMC or AAHSL.

10. Tanya Crawford

Tanya Crawford New Member

I know this thread is a few months old,sorry I came here after searching "McKenzie Bind Bankrupt, after my landlord visited me today and told me they were bankrupt.

This property is now on it's third real estate agency. The landlord said the original agent never even got him to sign the lease... That's scares the hell out of me

I am on a disability pension and we've been here almost 6 years. The landlord has been refusing to do maintenance (and it now appears that's because McKB were not passing on maintenance requests). So the whole thing has ended up at VCAT and has got very messy.

The Landlord missed the date specified on the VCAT order and is doing everything he can to avoid spending any money on maintenance.

I have no idea what to do any I'm panicking that we are going to be homeless. The pension is not very good, and we are here only because the property is on NRAS.

The landlord said McKB did not pay him the rent for a month, and McKB increased our rent. The Landlord said he did not ask the rent to be increased, so McKB probably did it to stave off the inevitable. But McKB appear to have done the wrong thing by a lot of people here.

Of course McKB did not pass anything on to the new agent, who therefore say they have no copy of the lease. The original agent is not responding to my requests for a copy of the original lease.

How could 3 agents mess up so badly? Or might someone be telling some untruths?

Would appreciate some advice.

thanks
    tanya

11. euro73

These issues are not NRAS related. - NRAS or no NRAS, a cheapskate landlord is a cheapskate landlord, unfortunately NRAS is a tax credit. It has nothing to do with the maintenance of the property... and whether McKenzie Bond dudded the landlord for a month of rent or not, that's not your issue or your fault. It's still the landlords responsibility to attend to maintenance requests as long as they are reasonable.

From what you are saying, you are still in the property and it is still participating in the NRAS, so you must be getting your 20% rental discount. ... so that side of things appears to be in order . As long as you have a lease agreement in place they cant just punt you without notice.

But if you are worried...or just fed up with the lack of maintenance, perhaps contact one of the other NRAS providers in Melbourne and see whether there's an alternative NRAS dwelling available for you, elsewhere?

If you can find something - you can then decide whether to give your notice and move. If you were to do so, this leaves the landlord having to find a new tenant, which will mean having to complete the maintenance , and also pay a new listing fee etc.... and you can go to a properly maintained rental elsewhere and continue to access the 20% discount .
    In other words, take your business elsewhere.

Here are the names of the VIC NRAS providers. Obviously McKenzie Bond should be ignored. I'd start with the first 2 names on the list and go from there

Actually, let me go one better..... I know FOR A FACT that there are 3 brand new apartments available to rent in this building in Moonee Ponds right now... because I moved the NRAS there :) Hall St in Mason Sq - Moonee Ponds | Caydon
    AAHSL ( see below ) are the NRAS provider for these ... so if you want to move somewhere shiny and new with NRAS - maybe call them and see whether you can make a move.

AMC - Accounting Services, Taxation Services and Planning, Business Support, HMW Group, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Affordible Housing

AAHSL - Home | Australian Affordable Housing Securities

Screenshot 2019-11-08 18.49.27.png

Last edited: 8th Nov, 2019
  12. Tanya Crawford

Tanya Crawford New Member

Yes, I am getting my 20% discount.

But with the owner now saying he never signed the lease in the first place can't he say "no lease, bye bye"?

13. Peter Carpenter

Peter Carpenter New Member

Hi Tanya,

I understand how you are feeling – I am in a similar position other than that we own the property and rent it out (landlords) and have things managed through a real estate agent – they have always managed the lease and any other issues professionally.

It is a disgrace of course that McKB have disappeared on all their clients.

We have always done the right thing by our tenants – if there is any issue it gets fixed ( I am confident the vast majority of landlords are the same)

Basically however for us it is about finding a replacement for McKB – there is some paperwork to be filled out and sent into the relevant government department for approval.

In our case we have been cleared to get another participant as they term it – the department apparently arranges this – I have not heard back for two weeks so I guess I will have to follow up on Monday as to how things are progressing. The owner of your property needs to follow this process as well.

If McKB was collecting rent as well as issuing certificates it must be painful knowing the rental money may have disappeared. However this is a problem for the landlord and not you. You are paying your rent as a responsible and ethical person that you are. It is a pity that maintenance is not being taken care of.

Surely your current agent should be able to do something – but it appears not.

The advice on the thread is very useful from a range of people.

My best wishes in this matter goes to you and trust it works out well for you In the end.

Regards

Peter