MBRC Secondary Dwelling from Existing Structure

Discussion in 'Development' started by Art Vandelay, 17th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

Has anyone had experience in getting council approval to concert an existing structure into a granny flat (secondary dwelling)?

One of our properties in the Moreton Bay region has a workshop hat was constructed prior to the main house some time in the 60s. Apparently it was built by the old man to live in whilst he built the house. It is generally in accordance with the secondary dwelling requirements of MBRC, however it was constructed prior to any approvals were required by council.
    We would like to renovate for use as a secondary dwelling so need to get everything above board for council. Does any have experience with the type of approvals that we will require? It should be a self assessable application to council, so don't think we will need development approval - but possibly a 'concurrence agency response'. Is building approval required for modifications to an existing structure?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

In NSW I done 2 similar. one converting section of the house into a granny flat. the other converting a shed into a granny flat. both engaged a Private Certifier. The PC need to satisfied the all aspect in their checklist such as structure, concrete slab/piers, insulation, energy/lighting, storm water, wet area certificate for bathroom etc..
    Sometimes it's difficult to provide these if they are prebuilt such as wet area certificate if bathroom is there and other plumbers would not certify it since they didn't do the work. I believe a call to MBRC council then a few Private Certifer could get you some answers.

Propertunity likes this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Thanks @RetireRich101 .
    I had spoken to Council who agreed in principle to the conversion and said to speak with a private building certifier. The certifier has asked for drawings to provide comment and a price for the certification. When you went through the certifier in Sydney did you provide drawings? If so, we're they just done by a drafty or did you engage an architect or someone else?

4. RetireRich101

yes, the drawing was done by a drafter. I think about $1200
    The private certifier was about $1700

Art Vandelay likes this.
  5. Art Vandelay

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

6. RetireRich101

do you know what max size you can have the granny flat in MBRC?

7. Art Vandelay

It will be a Secondary Dwelling, so 55m2 as the street frontage is greater than 15m. The existing building is approximately 42m2, with a carport approx 32m2 under the same roof but not enclosed.. Hence not included in the area.

MBRC Planning Scheme - Secondary dwelling

My only concern is the requirement to obtain access via the existing driveway to the main house on the property, as the secondary dwelling has its own crossover and driveway already. Don't think it will be too much of an issue though.

8. RetireRich101

Not sure why the QLD has this legislation that the secondary dwelling needs to access the same driveway as the main dwelling.. NSW doesn't have this rule.
    I think it's best to just have 1 access lane in your plan/drawing, but I don't think the private certifier will be too fussy when they inspect. If they are, just put a few stumps and chicken wire on the granny flat access:D and once you got your certificate, remove them

Art Vandelay likes this.