Maximum Height of Hedging Plants for Backyard

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ian fitzgerald, 25th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ian fitzgerald

Ian fitzgerald Member

I want to put Hedging Plants close to my colorbond fence in Blacktown Council (NSW) area for privacy screening from my immediate neighbor. Generally speaking, is there any restriction on how tall my hedge can grow? (I want to grow my hedging plants to at least 3 meters.)

Also, is there any restriction on whether hedging plants that are within 1 meter from the fence cannot be too tall, but plants that are more than 1 meter distance from the fence can still be as tall as I want them to be? (In case of restriction from the backyard fence, if I put my hedging plants in a pot/planter box, I'm hoping they should grow between 2-3 meters tall. Would that be better approach than putting the plants in the ground, because I can move the plant pots back and forth, and distance from my backyard fence will be more than 1 meters.)

Thank you for your time!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I know enough about plants to know that you will not be able to get enough root development for a plant to grow to 3 meters, in a pot or planter box. They'll need to be planted in the ground.

There is a Trees Act in NSW and you would be well advised to read here:
    Trees Disputes Between Neighbours in NSW | Matthews Folbigg Lawyers

3. Ian fitzgerald

Ian fitzgerald Member

Thank you! Would you know whether there is a general restriction on how tall plants can be grown from the backyard colorbond fence? (Can I grow 3 meters tall plant within 1 meters from fence, do they have to be more than 1 meters from fence, so I am allowed to grow plant that's more than 3 meters tall)

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Hi @Ian fitzgerald ,
    I don't know specifically in regard to how close etc.

Suffice to say that if your hedging plants' roots go under the fence, as they surely will, you may be up for repair if they cause damage to your neighbour's property.

"Where a high hedge is blocking sunlight or views the Land and Environment Court can make orders to:
    • prune or remove the hedge;
    • maintain the hedge at a specific height or width; or
    • order to remove the trees in the hedge to be removed and replaced with a different species."

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What type of plants?

6. Ian fitzgerald

Ian fitzgerald Member

Lilly Pilly - For hedging/privacy screening in my backyard. I hate it but my neighbour's granny flat window faces my backyard. I want to put some hedges to protect my privacy. How tall can I grow hedging plants without getting any objection?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just call Council and ask.

It is highly unlikely that there is an actual rule.

However, make sure you get a naturally hedging lillipully as there are some varieties that become huge trees.

You may still need to trim them a bit to encourage thick, bushy growth and make sure you plant them far enough away from the fence that they don’t damage it.

You need to work out how thick the hedge will be when fully grown to allow room to grow.

For example, if your hedge will be 1 metre wide when fully grown, plant the plants 70cm from the fence (50 cm plus an extra 20 cm to be safe & for air flow).

8. Ian fitzgerald

Ian fitzgerald Member

Yeah, I have the same opinion that there shouldn't be an actual rule. I've already asked council, but I wanted to have opinion from others. I want to plant them a bit far away from the backyard fence, but what I do not want is to take the risk of planting the hedges only to learn later that it is Not allowed, so I wanted to check with others in this forum. Many Thanks for sharing your inputs on this!

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What did Council say?

10. Ian fitzgerald

Ian fitzgerald Member

I've just asked them today over email. I'll let you know what they say.