Maximising Rental Income on a Semi

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by kirags, 18th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kirags

kirags Active Member

Hi all, My partner and I have been talking about this and it sounds too good to be true, so it would be great to get a realistic view on this.
    We own a semi-detached home in Mascot, close to the station and airport. So the location is fantastic.
    We plan on moving next year to a new home but are planning some renovation to maximise the rental on what will become an investment property.

Here is what we want to do and all indicate the council would approve:
    Current property is a 2 bedroom semi (only 90SQ built) on a 350SQ. The rental estimate is 700pw.
    We would add a second level, with 2bed 2bath kitchen and lounge plus a balcony for about 200K = This small investment would generate another rental income of $600pw
    The backyard is VERY long, so at the far end we would build a small, pre-fabricated studio with a kitchenette for $60K = rental income would be 400pw.

I have spoken to a real estate agent and rental figures are correct. My question is, does this sounds too good to be true?
    Basically, we would have renovation expenses of around 300K, to then achieve an extra $1000pw rental. Thoughts?
    Any considerations we need to be aware of?

Still unsure how all 3 rentals would be structured and who would get use of backyard and one car space.

Also, would reno costs/bank loan for reno be deductible if we renovate after moving out?

Thank you for your comments.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes

You will not be able to get 3 rentals (legally) from one resi property. The max is 2 - house and studio (if council approved as a secondary dwelling).

The interest component - yes.

Archaon likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It does sound too good to be true. Its hard to believe the current property's rental estimate wouldn't be reduced by the fact they have someone living above them and in the backyard.

And how would parking work?

Also, you're forgetting that you are unlikely to even get 1:1 return in terms of cost:equity growth - so you might literally be spending money to pay yourself....

Lots of issues here potentially imo.

4. kirags

kirags Active Member

Thank you all for your replies.
    Ok, I thought the second level would be a stretch.
    But potentially a studio at the back should be doable, no?

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As per @Propertunity above:
    IF your council allows it.

The Y-man

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It might not necessarily be worth it. I doubt it would only cost $60k either.

There's lots of threads on the forums about granny flats - maybe have a look at some of them and some of the considerations and pitfalls other people have been through.

I've done a pair of them myself, and generally I would caution people considering it - I think it only is worth it for quite specific properties and setups, and not something that is generally worth it for the average place.

The Y-man likes this.
  7. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

The only place you shpuld be checking is ypur council.
    There might be few tweaks here and there to get a floor.
    What people don't take into consoderation is that it is mascot and 2 bed rents for 700 to 800 easily.
    Not sure on pre fabricated granny. Have you asked the vendor or approached council to see the usage and what are putting in.
    Rentwise, the numbers were correct. :)

Regards

8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I think the spend costs are on the low side, having done upper storey extensions on terraces I think $200k would be a challenge, esp with DA associated costs.

I have also seen great granny flats for about $130k in Sydney (PM if you want more details) but not sure how far $60k would get you.

If you can get the DA approval, I think an upper storey extension would be a good idea (minus the extra kitchen) so you can rent out a 4/3/1 large home for maybe $1100pw. The studio could then potentially be approved separately under complying development.

Archaon and The Y-man like this.
  9. kirags

kirags Active Member

Thanks all for your replies.

10. kirags

kirags Active Member

T
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely look into it.

11. kirags

kirags Active Member

Thanks for your reply. We already own the property and looking at adding one of those pre-fabricated 20sqm studios which do not require council approval (about $25K finished) - We would then add a kitchenette and bathroom - so max 60K for worst-case scenario.
    A real estate agent also suggested to add a tiny house and rent it out - but that is a whole other story...

12. kirags

kirags Active Member

Not really a granny flat - looking at adding one of those pre-fabricated 20sqm studios which do not require council approval (about $25K finished) - We would then add a kitchenette and bathroom - so max 60K for the worst-case scenario.

13. kirags

kirags Active Member

Thank you for you reply

14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Who wants to live in 20 m2? my bedroom is 5x5 m so 25m2

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

@kirags, a quick PC tip. Use the "+ Quote" option when you want to respond to many comments for things that can be addressed together. Especially helpful for when you just want to respond to say little things like thank-you to multiple posters etc.
    Just click that on each reply you want to respond to and once you are ready, click on "Insert Quotes" and start writing your message.