Matching paint in an Owners Corporation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 1st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A reno is nearly finished. The fascias were rotted and had flaking paint (mid green), so I removed the dead wood, sanded, and put on several undercoats of brown to make quite sure that the paint would last. The reno has been going on for weeks and is obviously a work in progress. Paint and other items will be bought next week - hopefully. One owner (probably a resident) said that the paint did not match the OC colour scheme. The OC manager advised that matching paint was needed,

I'm curious. Is it a requirement that external paint match existing paint?

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Usually the OC will have a rule to ensure all the lots look consistent.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Usually.

4. Burramys

Thanks. I suspected that this was so but was unsure. It seems a bit odd as all that the person had to do was ask me. If the person wished to remain anonymous, leave a note in the mail box. Waiting until the job is finished and there is no matching paint was another option. In a few days the garage door will have metal undercoat until the topcoat paint bought, so there may be more interest.

5. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

In Vic, any changed to the external appearance to a property are supposed to be approved by the committee first.

Committee is also supposed to be notified of modifications.

Model rules as follows:

5.2 External appearance of lots

(1) An owner or occupier of a lot must obtain the written approval of the owners corporation before making any changes to the external appearance of their lot.

(2) An owners corporation cannot unreasonably withhold approval, but may give approval subject to reasonable conditions to protect quiet enjoyment of other lot owners, structural integrity or the value of other lots and/or common property.

5.3 Requiring notice to the owners corporation of renovations to lots

An owner or occupier of a lot must notify the owners corporation when undertaking any renovations or other works that may affect the common property and/or other lot owners' or occupiers' enjoyment of the common property.

6. Burramys

Thanks. I did not remember the model rules. The undercoat is temporary as it's too wet to paint at present, more delay. The undercoat is very close to colours used elsewhere, so it should be okay for a short time. Also, the original paint had flaked off, leaving bare timber similar to the undercoat.

7. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

The committee if organised should be able to tell you the colours. I would think you would want to match anyway for best look?

Vic didn't exactly help in changing the model rules last year and virtually not publicising it. Our owners corporation law here is not too bad mostly, but some things can be archaic (like how they ran the public consultation on proposed legislation changes to the act last year and virtually no one knew).