Masters....GONE!

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Bayview, 18th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You should watch Straight out of Compton @Bayview.

mrdobalina likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

See my thread on it in Entertainment....great movie.

Biz likes this.
  3. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

What about Menace II Society?

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Boyz N the Hood!

mrdobalina likes this.
  5. mrdobalina

New Jack City!

6. Bayview

He can accuse me of saying that a lot of stuff coming out of China is sub-standard and built to a price at Bunnings or wherever else..

Look at $10 deck chairs for eg.

Or; we bought an umbrella for outside on the deck - $99. Lasted for about 6 weeks and got destroyed in the wind.

Ended up buying the $400 version from one of the local traders down my way.

Do we need to show millions of examples to get the point across that China does make some dodgy stuff that Bunnings sells, and to declare that in a statement is not a racist slur; it is just stating a fact? o_O

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I import goods from China. China gets a bad rap because people use it to source cheap stuff that there is no way you could make in Australia for the same price. It doesn't mean it is bad but because going cheap is an option that sells that is what the majority of people choose to use it for. The Chinese are actually very good at making basic products of which you would find many in Bunnings. The only reason Australian goods are better made is because that is the only angle the can sell from now. If things could be made here cheaply the market would be flooded with cheap Australian goods. Can't compete on price so they have to compete on quality.

2x things I would avoid from China - Anything electrical or anything with a motor in it.

8. mrdobalina

sanj and jim1964 like this.
  9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Big companies I give a pass because they basically run the whole factory, have their own QA system, nothing comes out of there but their products. I meant more the no name mowers, quad bikes, vacuum cleaners, heaters etc that you would see on Ebay or sold in the hardware stores.

Last edited: 20th Jan, 2016
  10. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

After visiting numerous factories in China I can say I was actually blown away by the numerous QC as the products moved along the production line.

The issue is our desire as consumers to have an almost disposable product and in turn have it at the absolute lowest cost.

The balance with this is individuals own perception on value,is a $20 boom box that lasts 3/4 years value?

I would say yes other would say that the product is cheap s#^#€!!

charttv likes this.
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't like seeing the "racist" word thrown around incorrectly.

12. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

They can make decent products too if you throw enough money at them. Your typical importer/exporter just grab the cheapest nastiest crap from Yiwu market and plonk them onto the next available boat aren't helping them to build up their credibility.

Back to this Masters thingie, they aren't helping themselves. Initially I thought they walk all over Bunnings but things have gone south in the last year or two. Both the Canberra airport and Rouse Hill stores think they're doing me a favour by selling me things there, their refund process suck which involves bank chargeback to get my money back and when you have staff telling you they're about to leave in 5 minutes I have 0 interest in serving you, why would you shop there?

13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bring back tariffs? Good lord. Is this the Donald trump thread?

Ted Varrick and charttv like this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

No, made your point, nuff said.o_O
    And keep in mind that anyone around your age brought up in China couldn't say things like that. Now they can.

15. Bayview

What do you propose the car manufacturers do to get back to operational in Aus?

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not being s#it is a good start.

I'm talking about the australian economy as a whole not 1 single industry when I say bringing back the old protectionist, heavy tariff model is stupid.

charttv likes this.
  17. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Nothing, the horse has bolted. Unless everyone from the top down in every industry wants to take a massive pay cut and we all adjust our lives for a cheaper way of living because we would only be on 15k a year this is how it is. The market place is global now, we have to compete with other countries in ways other than manufacturing.

sanj likes this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

A lot of well known companies either get stuff made in China or have factories there

Made in China may one day be a good thing, like Made in Japan (pre Jap-Crap days), its all part of the ever evolving Global Village

19. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

The problem with the car manufacturer in Australia.
    The car manufacturer cries poor, thus the manufacturer have been receiving financial assistance from the government.
    It does not make business sense when the company are receiving assistance but paying the production line / process worker WAY WAY above award wage as well as providing company benefit such as best price offer when purchase or lease a car.

20. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

1. Get all the "highly skilled" workers, that have be promoted ad nauseum, (and which Holden/Ford/Aus Govt has allocated big bucks to retrain), together to work out what kind of salable vehicle could be designed (or not) and manufactured in Oz.

2. These workers reside (or used to) in SA, somewhere (and I mean this with the greatest respect to our colleagues in SA) where logistics would be considered a large component of the business plan, and perhaps relocation might be considered. (Note to any rock throwers that I said "considered"..)

3. Is specialization (no, I don't like the way the spell check likes a "Z" in it, as it shouldbe an "S") a worthy participant, ie. Police/Fire/Ambulance vehicles, Armed forces vehicles, or even niche RV, Offroad, and Small/Large Transportation vehicles and trailers?

4. The commodity prices and $A are so cheap, surely there is a manufacturing opportunity for someone to step up with and OEM engine and drive train?

5. The major dealerships, AP Eagers and AHG, I'm talking to you.. surely there is room for a "Special Projects" offering for your niche customers?

Really, there is an opportunity just staring everyone in the face, so maybe even a worker equity share could be in order.

But wait, there's more!

There is a tire business on the Mornington Peninsula who could provide the expertise in the most important part of the process, where the tire hits the road, for an entirely agreeable fee.

And, not only that, but unlike a bunch of Woolworths Masters (just to get back to the OP...) managers, who don't understand the fundamental maths of retail in the definition of what a "Stock Turn" is, a new manufacturer should have confidence in the new regime.

Bayview, care to step up?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia