Masters....GONE!

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Bayview, 18th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

this is another STUPID comment.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hey Steadyrich, I see your point of view... but please don't take either of the comments personally. I'd rather be proud of the Chinese entrepreneurial spirit myself. :)

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2016
    Sackie and Doncossack like this.
  3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

thanks Linda, I just couldn't stand these racist comment, facts have been twisted, point of views are one sided, not good.

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Salty much? Settle down...

Doncossack, Bayview and jim1964 like this.
  5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Are they really racist? When people say this they're talking about mainlanders. I don't think anyone disputes the quality of stuff made in say, Taiwan for example. Is it even true of the mainland then? Well whether it is or not, it's not a racial thing then. It's like calling someone who said something derogatory against Muslims racist. Islam is not a race. It's a religion. My point being - you might be able to accuse him of something, but I don't think racism is the right word for it.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Relax a little. There is heaps of good chinese as well as crappy chinese stuff. So crappy that the chinese don't want it it themselves.

I'm chinese too, and I'll bag out everyone, chinese included. Some of these mainlanders are an absolute disgrace in which they carry on, and it affects those of us who share the same black hair and yellow skin, even if we don't share the same attitude.

Personally i don't give a crap about anyone's background, how they carry themselves as a person is by far more important.

7. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Most of masters stuff is probably all consignment stock, so these "closing down sales" will be dismal

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I found masters had slightly nicer stuff. I'm sad to see them go. Bunions sells a lot of junk

9. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Pull your head in:
    1. The Chinese are involved - and have been involved for sometime in this discussion
    2. My wife is chinese, she laughed. Racist? strong comment. There was a smiley face.

Cheers Ivan

Doncossack and jim1964 like this.
  10. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Interesting post.

Sorry, but no; I haven't been a racist, and that description of crap products can apply to a number of Countries around the world....I picked China because a large number of products we buy here in Aus are from there.

If it was up to me; we would all buy Australian, stop whining about the price, suck it up and support local businesses...but the vast majority of folks in this Country won't do that; hence we have very little production and loads and loads of imports, and an explosion in internet sales from O/S.

Typical handwring reactionby you; even though my statement is based on fact....don't like the description; call the author a racist. Standard, and very tiresome...but soldier on, buddy.

To call a lot of the Chinese products coming in as crappy is merely describing factual events and several thousand customers - nay; millions of customers - will no doubt agree.

It's not my faulty if a decent number of the products coming out of there are of a cheaper standard and thus a cheaper price to cater to a market.

Several decades ago, the exact same thing was said about a lot of product coming out of Taiwan, and even further back; coming out of Japan. I now cannot sell a Japanase made tyre due to it's price. Folks want them because of the superior quality; but won't pay the extra money. So; they settle for an Indonesian, Chinese, or other Country option which is far cheaper, and not as good in many cases.

Sorry to tell you; but this is fact..

Of course; it is not "all" products - but let's face it; companies don't relocate or set up in these Countries because they are having an emotional moment and want to help out another Country's economy.

They are doing it because it is cheap for them to operate their business from there.

You are preaching to the converted, Steady.

LOL! You need to go back and read my entire history of posts to see what sort of person I am;

I shop local to support the local businesses wherever I can. I very rarely buy products online, and have flown into folks here for doing it rather than support their local guys. But you won't know that because you don't know me at all. Sanj - who liked you post - and who knows me and should know better - should have done the right thing and called you out for your comments - poor form, but expected.

I could buy all my printer cartridges online and save a lot of money - and I should because I've had 4 very bad years financially, but no; I buy them from the local newsagent and never ask the price. I figure he needs the support, and even if he doesn't need the money; I will support him anyway....just one small example of who I am for your info.

But anyway; brief education of me for your records for the future; I do not haggle over their prices, because I want them to make a profit. I am a business owner too; and I know what it's like to have to sell stuff for next to nothing to appease the tight-arses (who are the greediest of all folks).

No; I would rather be the person who is rich enough (or at least; thinks like a rich person) to simply ask for the product; buy it and not even ask the price...just say; "How much do I owe you?" ;)

I've been alive for half a century, and have bought numerous items over that time made from a lot of places around the world...from a lot of different shops too.

But thanks for the education.

jim1964, neK, WattleIdo and 1 other person like this.
  11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

It's been a while since you used that one :p

jim1964, Bayview, neK and 1 other person like this.
  12. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

I went to Masters for something to do when I needed to replace the screen door handle and lock assembly on one of my IPs last year. The Whitco lock I needed was priced at $63, the same lock at Bunnings was $55. The only time I've ever purchased from Masters was when painting my Brisbane IP and only because the Bunnings at Manly West wasn't finished at the time and they price matched Bunnings Trade when I showed them my Powerpass card (only after the Masters trade card that said 5% off all purchases on it only applied to whatever items they chose that month, contrary to what was written on the card at the time).

The other problem I see is that there is no Masters store further east than Chullora in the whole Sydney basin. There are bucketloads of Bunnings stores east of Chullora. Why would any inner west, north shore or south side residents/tradespeople travel to Chullora just to go to Masters when it's not cheaper and not convenient? Too big an area with no store coverage.

The only plus I can think of is that they offer delivery which could be handy for some consumers.

13. Bayview

Yes; like to trot it out occasionally to whack the youngun's around the ears with it when they get a bit over-excited. :p

"Back in my day!" :p

Biz likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

15. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I really like Masters. The staff are so friendly at the Northland Store, they are glad to have someone to talk to. The kitchens appear to be better quality than Bunnings. I bought a load of light fittings and they were really good quality. I like that I can walk in and the staff know me and remember what I bought!!

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Bayview

Ted Varrick and neK like this.
  17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

This world would be a better place with more blokes with your thinking @Bayview. I have read this thread with interest,and the racist card gets pulled out.
    Having worked in the automotive industry for on 20 years,and my dad a Chrysler/Mitsubishi man for 45 odd years, i say bring back the tarriffs that protected local manufacturing,

Doncossack and Bayview like this.
  18. Bayview

Yeah; don't start me (oops :p)

I mean; even the frackin Academy Awards (and like; who cars about them anyway?)...boycotting them because there was not enough black nominees. o_O

Seriously?

One chick was not going to go to the Awards, and was not going to watch it on teevee...that makes two of us!!! :p

What about the "bros and ho's" music videos where there is not one white person in them (or maybe a single token whitey).

It.is.just.hilarious.

19. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Did you say that all <insert> are ho's? :eek:

(Joking)

Bayview likes this.
  20. Bayview

Yeah; I expected to cop a flaming for that already.

Of course; it is nothing like that in reality - I'm sure all those folks in those videos are just yer normal citizens - and not the way they are potrayed.

I don't know why they do it, or how they arrive at the decision that it is necessary to do it, or that it is even entertaining....maybe it is; and I'm just too old to get it.