Master Limits

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by albanga, 1st Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ideally the new split would be better as IO as the additional cash flow can then be used to pay down the P&I non-deductible debt faster...

KayTea likes this.
  2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Agree, unless that triggers a more rigorous assessment which may or may not be desirable depending on circumstances.

Where there's no non deductable debt, and investing in equities it's a good way to get P&I rates whilst keeping a constant total.loan amount and growing your total asset base.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

THe strategy of using interest only on a PI loan could potentially work well with the master limit. Borrow extra, park it in a new offset and get the relevant loan paid out of this offset account with the interest paid each month into that offset.

Needs further thought.

Lindsay_W and ChrisP73 like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Additional P.

Not usual that some borrowers see Term loans the same as a LOC.

Most LOCs are IO and many have an evergreen IO term.........hence any repayment can be recycled.

With a term loan the balance reduces over time and one can only recycle advance repayments

ta
    rolf

ChrisP73 likes this.
  5. ChrisP73

@Terry_w even simpler, leave the extra in the loan, cancel repayment direct debit, and simply pay interest directly into the loan each month, and the bank will reduce the redraw amount inline with principal repayments. No need to risk borrowed funds sitting in an offset account.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. ToddP

ToddP Member

I guess the main issue I have had is that IO loans with AMP are 5yr term and then P&I. So the LOC (being a 10 yr term) works a bit better for me. Even though the rate is slightly higher...

7. ChrisP73

You can get a master limit for 10 years. Then recycle principal per my previous post. All at P&I rates

8. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Famous last words.....eg St George set us up on something similar.....now no longer want expats on this loan type and refusing to allow additional loan or moving variable to fixed loans etc.

9. ToddP

ToddP Member

Sorry Chris can you elaborate further? I couldn't find details in a previous post.
    All the splitting can be created/assessed once you have the AMP P/O loan. That will be my first step to move over to AMP

10. ChrisP73

Hi @ToddP. I was referring to this post Master Limits

11. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Does this mean that, rather than having to add a new loan split, someone can just increase one of the existing sub accounts loan values? ie. If someone pays down their P&I non-deductible PPoR debt by $20K, they can just increase their investment IO loan sub account by $20K (as long as the total debt remains the value of the master limit amount?)

12. Terry_w

u can decease one and increase another - for example

13. Rolf Latham

be aware that only a few products allow this period, and even less allow limit swap to another repayment type - ie Non ded PI debt to Ded IO debt

ta

rolf

14. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Can an injection of cash funds (eg. tax refund, work bonus etc) be used as a deposit to help reduce the balance of a shares-related sub-account, then these funds be re-withdrawn from the loan, now making the interest now tax deductible?

Scenario example - Fred has a loan with a limit of $30K - this was taken out under the Master Limit facility, and these funds have been used exclusively to purchase shares. So far he has spent $29K on shares (the interest on this is now tax deductible) and he now only has $1K left available to buy new shares.

At Christmas, his boss gave him a $10K bonus (lucky Fred!) - rather than leaving the $10K sitting in his savings/offset account against his PPoR, he's thinking of paying this $10K into his loan account. This means that he now will have $11K ($1K + $10K) available to draw down and buy more shares, the interest on this $11K loan is tax deductible, and the dividends on the shares are at a higher interest rate than the rate he's attracting in the offset account (making it a better place to put his $10K).

Is Fred's thinking 'correct'? flawed? sound?

15. Rolf Latham

fred would take the 10 k, lower his PPOR limit by 10k and increase the the 30 to 40, and then draw the 10 from the new 40 split

ta
    rolf

KayTea and Lindsay_W like this.
  16. Terry_w

If Fred borrows to buy shares the interest would be deductible if the shares pay dividends.
    If he pays down the PPOR loan and Redraws this is borrowing to invest = and debt recycling.
    But Fred would be wise to split the loan before borrowing or borrow by increasing the existing $30k loan

KayTea likes this.