Master Bedroom/Kitchen/Laundry Reno Floorplan Ideas

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Penguin, 4th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Penguin

Penguin Well-Known Member

We're planning for a PPOR reno and thinking of putting in a new kitchen, laundry and master bedroom. Ideally, we want an open bright kitchen with ample storage, open plan living with a good flow to the outdoor area, and a master bedroom with an ensuite plus walk-in.
    Hoping to achieve this with the least amount of structural changes.

I've done a very initial sketch by just using the existing floorplan (so probably not to scale).
    This is my first time doing this so hoping to get some thoughts on whether anything in the design look unrealistic/impractical or weird (eg. is the spacing ok for the kitchen island? will it work with the pantry and laundry connected like that? should I add something to the empty space on the right of the kitchen and what can I do with it?)

If there are other better ideas to achieve what we want, please do share! Thanks :)

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2022
  2. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I can't seem to open the link - maybe others are having the same issue?

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Won't open for me either. Perhaps take a screen shot of the plan and post it as an "upload file"

4. Penguin

Oops sorry, first time uploading a file. I've updated the settings and hopefully it works now!

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My immediate reaction is to run the kitchen bench all the way along that back wall, even if you make a desk.

Penguin likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree - if the window on the right is not required for backyard access, then run the bench the whole way along.

I'd also be tempted to make the storage on the side of the dining room a walk in storage area (can get so much more in a walk in) - and don't bother with the return bench in the walk in pantry. Corner cupboards are a painful waste of space. But this is just a personal thought as I miss my walk in linen cupboard

Penguin likes this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Check the distance between the fridge and the island bench. Will the fridge door open fully?

Penguin likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Good pickup - I like to have a minimum of 1200 between benches and "anything". Any distance narrower means access, passing and two people working in the space is a pain in the proverbial.

If 6 burner cooktop is a must have, then extend the bench along the top wall - put both the cooktop and sink on that wall and move the fridge to the oven side ... make this a wall of "tall" - oven tower - quick access pantry for everyday items (breakfast cereal, condiments, spices/salt/pepper etc) - fridge ... with minimum 1200 between these items and island bench

Penguin likes this.
  9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I like it!
    I notice two things though, in the kitchen and in the laundry.
    I would suggest the fridge be located next to a benchtop to allow food to be put in and taken out easily from the benchtop. Secondly I believe the washer in the laundry should be adjacent to the tub for plumbing purposes and so users can take wet clothes conveniently from one to the other when required (soaking and handwashing).

Penguin and wylie like this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Mathematically you're going to have some issues so I'm going to assume that there is big scale issues

You're existing family/dining is only 3400mm deep. So we need to break that down for the new kitchen.
    1. 600mm deep bench along top wall
    2. 1000mm space to island bench
    3. 800mm depth of island bench. I do like 900mm for an island bench but you won't fit it
    5. 1000mm space to wall

There definitely is no room for a fridge on the other side of the island bench so I would extend the kitchen all the way along the rear wall and move things around for fridge to go next to oven maybe.

Ensuite/Robe and Laundry. This is 3000mm deep
    1. Laundry really does need 700mm depth for under bench washers if possible then 10000m in front of that. So laundry is 1700mm deep. At a push you can can get away with 1500mm for a laundry with machines sticking out a bit from the bench top.
    2. That doesn't really doesn't leave enough room for what you have drawn for the ensuite/robe at all.

You might need to run the laundry along the 3400mm length of the existing family/dining so that you can give 2000mm or more to the ensuite/robe. What yoou have drawn for those 2 rooms needs approx 2200mm of depth

11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

the kitchen is wider the 3400. it shows 3400 for the short wall. That finishes in front of the fridge.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think if you can draw it with accurate measurements, it will be much easier for everyone to give realistic ideas.

I don't like the fridge sitting there on its own and would try to get it on the wall somewhere.

Penguin, Westminster and Lizzie like this.
  13. Westminster

I am referencing the depth of the room which in it's original size is 3400mm. The dimension placed on the new drawing shouldn't be labled 3400mm. In the new plan from the window wall to the back of the fridge is 3400mm which is just not going to work with what is drawn.

Penguin and Travelbug like this.
  14. Westminster

Yup it does ruin the triangle workflow rule where it's proposed.

15. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

Symmetry regarding where the island and the kitchen bench finish would be good.

Penguin and Marg4000 like this.
  16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Actually, that was my first thought. To me it is logical to end the island level with the bench for that layout.

Or run the bench right along to the end. Move the sink along a bit to between the windows. Sinks were traditionally placed in front of a window for views while washing up, keep an eye in kids in the back yard etc. No longer necessary due to dishwashers.

If you don’t need/want that length of workspace, make the end 1.5m a breakfast bar with space for 2 or 3 stools. This allows you to open up the area by getting rid of the island which makes the kitchen walkways narrow.

Penguin likes this.
  17. Westminster

The best thing to do might be to move the proposed kitchen to the right and put the laundry to the left

This is very rough but I think the room dimensions would work
    Laundry 1700mm x 3400 with a door leading out at the top
    Kitchen 4700 x 3400 the island bench would be around 2100mm long. You could get rid of the cabinetry on the left and just have one lovely long 2700mm island bench in the middle
    Ensuite 1500 x 3000 with a large shower at end, toilet and double vanity all in a line
    WIR 1500 x 3000 with a L shape of hanging

This doesn't extend any external walls at all but if you want to you could extend out to the left if you wanted to make the dining area larger or the ensuiite/wir larger but it's very economical this way as no external walls move.

Floorplan Current vs Design - 1.jpg

Dave Radelaide, Marg4000 and Penguin like this.
  18. Penguin

Thank you so much everyone - so many helpful tips / comments!
    I've included an updated plan with dimensions (thanks a lot @Westminster for pointing it out) and made some modifications as well.

A few more questions:
    1. Will the kitchen bench along the whole wall be too overwhelming/out of proportion to the rest of the living space? I'm thinking maybe the bench area where the right window is could be something like this - Parakeet Cottage Project - Beach Style - Deck - Sunshine Coast - by Black and White Projects | Houzz AU
    2. Adjusted the kitchen - benches will be 60cm deep, island is 90cm. Hoping to have a 90cm cooktop and to keep the windows on the back wall for light. Walkways between sink/island and cooktop/island are 105cm. The measurements with fridge, oven and cooktop fits that 340cm wall, but not sure if it's too crammed?
    3. I've read that it's good to keep the doorway to pantry wider (currently using 80cm). If making it align with the space between oven and island (105cm), then potentially will move the little storage to the new laundry area and combine that space as the pantry.
    4. Adjusted the laundry with new tub placement. The laundry space should be sufficient and the 240cm wall can be extended further out if needed.
    5. Unfortunately the ensuite and walkin is only 150cm deep - will that be impractical?

19. Penguin

Wow thanks for this - didnt see this until after I posted and love your suggestion!!

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer Penguins option ... didn't mind the laundry sink being opposite the machine - can't remember the last time I used my laundry sink for anything ... only erk is the 840 from the island bench to the wall - and only 1050 between the island and main bench.

Both distances are to narrow to be really functional. At 840, no one would be able to access past anyone sitting on a bar stool at the island (no bar stool defeats the purpose) ... only 1050 between the two benches simply is to narrow and is one of the main complaints from people who have installed a kitchen. Needs to be minimum 1100 - and 1200 where the fridge/oven will open onto it.

Can you get rid of the "storage" cupboard in the dining room and simply have an end wall so the walk in pantry isn't visible from the dining room? Put the full height pantry facing the kitchen in this end space.

I'd move the cooktop to the space between the windows and leave next to the oven a free space.

The main thing to ask is "who does the most work in the kitchen" - who does the cooking, cleaning up, packing/unpacking the dishwasher etc etc? How to they actually "work" when preparing or cleaning up something.

I ask this because I wash up from left to right - was in a temp place last year that went right to left and did my head in ... I like enough room between the sink and cooktop to prep the food, so room for a board, compost bucket, vege packets, pots etc ... there needs to be space next to the oven for when one whips out the latest creation and it's heavy, or they burn themselves, resulting in a quick "put down", a space won't be clutter with something cooking on the stove or an uneven surface ... how are you going to prepare breakfast in the morning (everything at hand) ... what drawer are the cutlery/plates/utensils/pots etc going into (I like everything common to be within immediate reach, without taking a step, of the dishwasher for unpacking and to grab when cooking) ... ?

Penguin likes this.