Marriage equality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Perp, 2nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps it's the divorce lawyers pushing the strongest for gay marriage?

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's insane.

Folks are still thinking like humans from 2000+ years ago.

Anyone who is against same sex marriage is living in the dark ages.

Actually; longer ago than that.

Two of my customers are in their 60's, and are both fathers with grown up kids, but "came out" many years ago...they have been living together for at least 15 years that I know of.

Both are extremely active in local Council affairs in our area, are terrific blokes and a credit to the human race.

They are basically a married couple, but without kids in their care. Why should they be denied the same rights as any other couple in marriage? They've bloody earned it, in my book.

I have other examples too.

Conversely, my 13 year old son has lots of his friends come around for visits/sleepovers etc, and many are dropped off by Mum, picked up by Dad, or Mum's partner, or whatever...it's quirt astonishing how many there are in these arrangements. Very few are still married and in the traditional family unit.

What's the big deal about whether it's two men, two women or either?

Pull yer minds into the 21st Century and stop acting like Neanderthals, I say.

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2015
    hobo, LibGS, Perthguy and 5 others like this.
  3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

All I know is that somewhere out there in the land of freedom, sits a gay man, terrified of commitment, who just lost hold of his last excuse. Spare a thought for him.

PrG, LibGS and Perp like this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Okay, I guess these are all reasonable and valid opinions to hold; however, if people of the same sex get married does it impact on your day to day life? Because stopping two people entering into marriage because of these opinions has a huge impact on the gay community.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to recognise its legitimacy, but come on, supporting a ban on same sex marriage for these reasons has real, lasting and negative impacts on real people. Supporting it has no impact on you at all, other than suffering through the discomfort and lost nostalgia for an ancient institution that has now changed.

sanj, Perp and wylie like this.
  5. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

Just legalise it.

Surprised this is even up for discussion... what year is this?

Perp, wylie and Toon like this.
  6. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

LibGS and wylie like this.
  7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Perp and Toon like this.
  8. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

9. Hoffy

Hoffy Well-Known Member

Haha, s
    haha so true. That is one of my mates. He says one of the best things about being gay is no weddings!

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

As the Irishman said

"I'm in favour of same sex marriage, why not, I've been having the same sex with my wife for 30 years"

And if you need to explain it to the kids...

Son: Dad, what does 'gay' means?
    Father: It means 'to be happy'.
    Son: Are you gay Dad?
    Father: No, son. I have a wife.

Bran and 4point5million like this.
  11. Norwester

Norwester Member

IMO....

Symbolic and hysterical lusting by the LGTB collective, assisted by feel good social media campaigns, and all for just one word to just stick to the hetero populace.......end of story.

Really surprised that we haven't had a rainbow outbreak around here yet.....:rolleyes:

Ciao

Nor

12. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Wow. Just ... wow.

13. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I truly feel sorry for you for how much pointless hatred you carry around.

Perp likes this.
  14. Norwester

Norwester Member

Exactly what I thought any replies to my post would be........

I was also going to mention pro homosexual / lesbian intolerance in my original post on this thread, but there is really no need to expand any further as that's just been proved by the above posts playing the man and not the ball...:)

Perp,

Stuck for words........just spit it out,I don't mind.

How about outlining the many benefits that allowing homosexual and lesbian partners to marry would bring to the institution of marriage or perhaps even the wider community as a whole? Could this be regarded as a continuous improvement to what is often upheld as a declining outdated concept? You could also investigate and factor in the rate of promiscuity in the homosexual and lesbian populace versus the general heterosexual population and how that would affect the success/of any proposed marriage. You could also look at the sterility issue......default population control..??

And just for fun try doing without using the words; equality and discrimination or saying "its not going to affect you...why do you care? No playing the anecdotal I have a friend or know of...blah blah blah either. Just some facts will do nicely.

Andrew,
    So let me see......because I have an opinion that is diametrically opposed to yours that makes me a hateful person?? You really can truthfully say that, just based on what you have read? If yes, then you need to chill out mate........:)

Ciao

Nor

15. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

It's not about the benefits it brings to the wider community, it's about rights. It's like asking blacks: "What's in it for white people to free you?"

And no, obviously homosexuals aren't enslaved, my point is that it's inappropriate to deprive a group of rights, then make them argue that they should have to earn the rights - the same rights that members of other groups get by virtue of simply existing - by way of explaining what's in it for the already-privileged.
    Neither of those have anything to do with marriage, but to do with sexual activity and fertility. Both of those aspects have already been addressed by the law - homosexual sex is legal, as is homosexual access to fertility treatments - so those are a done deal. The only thing being argued about now is whether the kids of homosexual couples have the right to see their parents get married. Is your position that these kids are better off, and their families more stable, by preventing their parents from marrying?

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

My first cousin is gay, and got married to his partner in England some years ago.

Two of the best blokes on this planet, a credit to the human race, both teachers and love kids.

Saying that gay people are promiscuous is a very broad and not relevant; considering that promiscuity is alive and well in the hetero-sexual community as well....was reading yet another article just this morning about Tiger Wood's latest dumb-ass manouevre.

Gay people - once in relationships - as a group - are committed to their partners; from my experience.

There will always be a percentage of affairs and so forth, but that happens in the straight world too.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2015
    wylie likes this.