Marriage equality survey results will be released 15th Nov

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gockie, 14th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You mean like the friends and family of gay people? You make it sound like those people shouldn't have any say, any vote? I don't have to be gay to believe they should have the same rights as I do.

Do you think slavery should still be allowed? Abolishing slavery was a hard fight too... and those people were crusading to change the world.

And as for the rest of your comment. I detailed in an earlier post about the "yes" voters trying so hard (my own MIL) bullying people to vote yes. My own MIL voted no even with her own grandson being gay. She says it is against the church, against nature. She is clueless about nature. There is homosexuality in nature, always was, always will be. We are just part of nature.

I asked her if that was the same church where priests are (still) ruining the lives of young boys and girls by sexually abusing them, where the higher up priests running the show moved them around when things get awkward, so they can abuse even more little children in a different parish.

Her answer to that was "Do you really think these stories are true? I don't think they can be true." That is typical of many religious "no" voters. Give me a break!

Listening to country radio on a recent trip was sickening, with most callers either being no voters, or perhaps those were the calls that the station wanted to put to air for its own agenda.

And such stupid reasons... cake bakers having to make cakes for those who are sinning against the church. Would that same baker refuse to bake a wedding cake for someone who had sinned by sleeping together before the wedding? What about for a second marriage after a divorce? No... didn't think so.

Some were voting no because they didn't want to have to use unisex toilets. Really???

I would feel this strongly if we didn't have a gay son. We felt this way before we knew our son was gay.

Lizzie, Rugrat, Angel and 4 others like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Really?

I barely heard a peep out of "yes" campaigners. My world was full out loud, pushy, rude, bullying "no" campaigners.

I know the aggressiveness of the "no" campaign pushed a lot of people I talked to to vote "yes".

I firmly believe "yes" will win, a lot because of the bullying tactics of the "no" campaign.

James90 and wylie like this.
  3. wylie

This is my experience too.

If it fails this time, it will eventually win through.

4. Perthguy

Polls favour a "yes" outcome. I know people will respond with: brexit and trump but historically, polls are not always wrong

"Around 64% of the 1,729 people asked claimed they backed the ‘Yes’ campaign, while 31% are believed to have voted ‘No’. However, more voters over the age of 55 reveal they’ve voted in the survey (94%) than people under the age of 35, at 80%."

Final poll predicts massive win for equal marriage in Australia

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

This was the most stupidest thing the government has ever done.
    The only people that should be voting about gay people getting married are gay people who want to get married.
    Why everyone got to have an opinion, a rant, a chance to object and judge something that does not concern them is beyond a joke.

I voted yes because it’s not my place to judge what other people should or Shouldn’t be doing their own personal lives, but none of us should have ever been put in a position to vote anything!!

And the money spent on this entire ridiculous drama, omg!!!

6. Perthguy

Exactly how I felt about it too. Don't care, none of my business. I think they are crazy but if they want to get married it is up to them, not up to me.

I really think $122 million could have been spent on so much better than this.

Xenia likes this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The “need” for the plebiscite - which got voted down - and the hastily arranged postal survey, was because Malcolm was only in power because of promises to the hard right. He didn’t have the freedom to let a conscience vote without moves against his own leadership. The party has shown its diviseness more than ever before. Not that Labor is any better.

The citizenship debacle has shown sloppiness all around. The matter was first raised as an issue I think around 20 years ago. All parties just let a candidate tick a box, and didn’t check the facts. Ok, some were caught by some more obscure rules, but not many people bothered to check.

And now we have a senator who got 19 direct votes, standing on the One Nation platform, who immediately resigned when sworn in. It makes a debacle of the whole “democracy” thing.

Rugrat and TAJ like this.
  8. JetstreamVic

JetstreamVic Well-Known Member

Wow, let me know once you have gotten off your high horse...

FWIW I am actually in favour of gay marriage, so you seem to have misconstrued my message.

With the personal crusade, I have no issue with friends voting yes, wanting to see their gay partners get married etc. But where I do draw the line (as I thought I made clear in my post), is when people say words similar to, "Vote Yes, otherwise you are a homophobe bigot and not my mate".

Someone who thinks that (on either side), is someone that shows a complete lack of ability to respect someone else's point of view, the right to free speech and the complete inability to have a constructive debate.

If you vote yes, or if you vote no, neither makes you a 'bad' person - It just makes you someone with an opinion, we should all be so lucky to be able to have freedom of choice.

However as displayed by many posters in this thread, people who have had a 'Yes' or 'No' rammed down their throat has had the impact of making the voter consider the opposite point of view - almost in spite?

If we have learnt nothing from this - we have surely learnt, don't tell people what to do, because they will do the opposite

Marg4000 and TAJ like this.
  9. wylie

I seem to have misread your post in such a way that I climbed on my high horse. This is close to my heart and so if I did misconstrue, I'm happy to offer a sincere apology to you.

10. geoffw

61.6% yes

Perthguy and Gockie like this.
  11. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

13. geoffw

NSW does have the highest percentage of Catholics.

14. geoffw

And poor Tony didn't get his moral victory of 40%

chylld likes this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

EN710 likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Muslims too...

17. geoffw

50% of Australia's Muslims are in NSW. But they are only 2.6% of Australia's population. So they would have influenced the NSW result but not to a great extent.

ACT 74%.

18. tattoo

tattoo Well-Known Member

don't underestimate the mustering power of asian christian conservatives community
    can guess what will be the topic of this sunday's sermons

its great it was a clear result. And clear majority in every state, the country is fairly unified, and we don't divisiveness of 'conservative' vs liberal states like the US. The pollies of each state have clear direction from their constituents on this issue.
    Its also a psychological relief for the LGBT of slow acceptance and progression

19. geoffw

Wentworth, which starts just SE of Paramatta, polled just 25% yes. I can't see anything unusual in the demographics to explain why.

Edit: I got that wrong. Not Wentowrth at all.

Last edited: 15th Nov, 2017
  20. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Wentworth is 80.8% yes, the highest in NSW. Am I missing something?