Market Check! Is where you live booming?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Jess Peletier, 23rd Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Is your local area booming?

1. Yes - going nuts

93 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Yes - better than previously

77 vote(s)
    35.8%
  3. About the Same

28 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Nah, it's pretty flat.

13 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Nah, it's falling

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our agent friend told me today his team has sold 126 houses in four months. He can't get enough stock. People are buying sight unseen at times and many people are moving to Brisbane.

I think he said at the start of Covid he thought prices might slip back, but they are surging in our area, by between 10 and 20% (I think that's what he said).

I was concentrating on several things but that is my memory of what he said about our local market.

chindonly, Toon, Codie and 3 others like this.
  2. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

I'm purchasing across Brisbane, Moreton Bay area and Logan. All areas are booming.
    I also started looking in Noosaville (Sunshine Coast) for a holiday home for a client, that market has jumped tremendously in the past 6 months. With all these areas it's driven by families and low supply, so anything that comes to market gets snapped up at the first open home.

icic and TAJ like this.
  3. icic

icic Well-Known Member

i am seeing over half of the listings has under offer label on it for a number of suburbs in Brisbane, don't think it was ever the case since i started invest there since 2014. reminded me of Sydney back in 2013 to 2015

4. ww2_nut

ww2_nut Active Member

Mildura market is going crazy here, agents cold calling in need of properties to sell. Properties are lasting no more than 7 days on market with multiple offers.
    Similar story for Bendigo, I get multiple calls a week from agents needing listings.

Toon likes this.
  5. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Yea it's always been pretty competitive but over the past 6 months I have noticed a massive difference when negotiating for properties. Agent's are now very aware of the market and prices have risen quite a bit. Zillmere is a good example.

6. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Carlingford has been doing very well mate! Look at the latest sales achieved for original condition houses

upload_2020-12-13_14-25-36.png

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Totally agree in this area Willoughby and surrounding, going nuts!
    See next door suburb in Castlecrag, 1 BED sold for $3.8M....!
    56 The Bulwark, Castlecrag, nsw - Property Sold Price
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-castlecrag-134689646

upload_2020-12-13_20-23-51.png

spoon and David_SYD like this.
  8. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i think its going alright a semi half the size sold same price as i bought mine 12 months back, slight difference is that semi u dont need to reno, mine u need to.

9. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member

10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree but still you need extra funds to redevelop or to renovate it. Can make it into $6M or even $8M home. As ECB (Established Capital Benchmarks), much higher priced properties exist in this suburb or street? One still needs such funds to buy it though, wouldn't you agree?

11. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I’d be very careful basing any forecasts around info from Martin North.
    One day it may crash the 40% as he predicts, but so far he’s 0/40 (approx) strike rate for every year that he’s predicted it to occur.

MC1 and DueDiligence like this.
  12. DueDiligence

DueDiligence Well-Known Member

I give him heaps on his channel. Even he now has a scenario for prices rises. Pretty sure an entire swath of bear followers have unfollowed him , furious at the n+1 market interventions Scomo and co keep cooking up.

There are no fire sales coming, it won’t be allowed, banks won’t allow it and have no need to since they can just keep changing the rules and taking QE and Wayne Byers can continue his navel gazing.

13. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Do you foresee a situation where international conditions dictate what happens with banks more than internal Australian conditions? At that point, Australian banks have to take action they don't really want to take but market conditions dictate they have to.

14. DueDiligence

Thats upon us now, but yes it could change. Being a sovereign nation , I believe we can just issue currency ad infinitum though and keep can kicking.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep engineering fiat they way they’re engineering virus statistics, the klaus schwab reset we “must have” , Ze post corona airah (era). Fiat to confetti, print , print, print, and stuff it into everything

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2020
    Codie likes this.
  15. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I agree. There’s no end to the ability to print. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a $2m Sydney median soon, with other states following % wise.

It’s not house prices running away as you know, you just need more currency to get the same thing. I think core inflation is and has been happening, headline & what’s reported has not. The US is Likley running close to double digits inflation yet only reporting 2-3%

Properties about to boom here, gold & metals will go through the roof. I just hope it somehow feeds through to wages sometime soon

Mulianto likes this.
  16. DueDiligence

I’ve noticed some groceries are up too. How’s the car market ... absolute madness, we are definitely seeing inflation in some areas.

The average punter on here should get a grip on the QE thing. There is no money being printed... it’s all just reserves created and thrown at the doorstep of corporate entities like banks. Those banks are then obliged to give up something in exchange and then lend the reserves out. The only game in town is mortgages and that’s working for now, but you have to consider at what point does this break down and for what reasons.

Here’s where it’s all going for now..

Australia Home Loans | 2002-2020 Data | 2021-2022 Forecast | Historical | Chart | News

Once the central bank can put money in the hand of the government itself, who can then put it in the hands (accounts) of citizens.. then it really starts to get interesting. The US Federal reserve act of 1913 currently prevents this but check out the FRED TGA, where is that 1.6 Trillion going?

It’s Bretton Woods 2.0 with cheap oil, such a weird time.

Last edited: 23rd Dec, 2020
    bobbyj, Erica and Codie like this.
  17. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

All these things are short-term. Government will stop if things go far better than they thought. It looks things are far too good. We will see the effect from March onwards.

18. DueDiligence

I don’t think there is a “far too good” anymore. If March looks dodgy, they’ll keep cooking it up.

MWI and Codie like this.
  19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

With the way the virus keeps popping up, things are going to look dodgy until there's a working vaccine and a good number of the population have had it, I feel.

mickyyyy, David_SYD and Shogun like this.
  20. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Melbourne inner east. Just bought a place this week. Not sure if booming is the right word - better than before maybe.

Empire and Codie like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia