Marble Tiles on wet area floors

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by albanga, 24th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Keen to get feedback from anyone who has laid stone tiles on wet area floors.
    Basically my wife and I are 100% set on a look and the only way to achieve it is via marble tiles (hexagon cararra marble)

Example Inspiration: 2013 Spring Parade Of Homes - Traditional - Bathroom - minneapolis - by Highmark Builders

Now apart from being expensive we have been advised they will require sealing twice during laying of the tiles (not concerned with that additional cost of this).

We have however been getting mixed feedback regarding ongoing maintenance.
    Some people say you will need to seal them every year as they become quite porous. They do say this is actually a fairly cheap and easy task to perform as you basically roll on the seal like painting a wall.

Other's however say they never seal it and never have any issues. Some have said they do this all over Italy and actually love the look the tile takes on over time.

So I thought i would ask my most trusted PC colleagues and see if anyone has actually laid marble tiles in wet areas and what they have found? Any issues such as bad staining? What if any maintenance you perform? Anything I may be missing?

Thanks in advance!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Calling @pinkboy - what's going to be more of an issue: slip resistance (use a honed finish in lieu of highly polished) or stain resistance?

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Marble tiles on my PPOR bathroom floors, no maintenance and no slipping. We actually have a bath mat that we nearly threw out as it kept slipping on our previous PPOR's ceramic tiles, but on marble they seem to have more than enough grip and have never slipped.

albanga likes this.
  4. albanga

Heya @chylld that is great feedback.
    Can I ask what marble tiles you laid? Care to share some pictures?

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what tiles they are as I think they were laid when the house was built 15-16 years ago. Much bigger than your hex tiles too, here's a photo from the listing:

[​IMG]

One downside of marble tiles we've found is that they are REALLY COLD in winter!! :eek:

albanga likes this.
  6. albanga

Love that bathroom! Looks awesome and of course the marble tiles look amazing :)

7. truong

truong Well-Known Member

We had damage to our bathroom marble floor due to acidic substances such as pee, cleaning products etc… These stains are quite unsightly and hard to remove because they go deep into the stone. I wouldn’t leave it unsealed.