Manor Houses: Low Rise Medium Density Properties

Discussion in 'Development' started by Dapa, 25th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

I'm looking at building a manor house development in a NSW beachside suburb, the site would suit a duplex development however I want to try something different, particularly as I think the build to rent market is strong in this area and building to hold the majority if not all of the product would support my investment strategy.

I've spoken to a few building designers, all of whom are aware of the Low Rise Medium Density Code for NSW and the products within (dual-occ, manor house, terrace etc). However, I am yet to find anyone who has done a manor house design. Has anyone here come across a good building designer (or seen a building design) that would be classified as a manor house?

In summary:

A manor house is a single building comprising of three or four dwellings on one lot and is a new addition to the Standard Instrument(Local Environmental Plans) Amendment (Low Rise Medium Density Housing) Order 2017. A manor house can be up to two storeys in height (not including the basement), and each dwelling must be attached by a common wall or floor. Depending on the layout and design of the property, one dwelling will be partially or wholly located above another dwelling. As stated in the new legislation, manor houses are allowed wherever multi-dwelling housing is permitted in the Land Use Table.

Obviously, this won't be done under complying development due to the Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code implementation being deferred yet again in the relevant council that I would be working with, however preliminary talks with council planners indicate no issue with taking this design through the standard DA process (zoning, FSR, allowable uses etc are all checked off prior to land acquisition).

Any help much appreciated, anyone built anything that looks like the above description? Doesn't have to be NSW based.

Many thanks
    Dave

Scott No Mates likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've done 2 similar in Perth.
    One which is a small three storey dwelling which has an apartment on each floor. The other is two storey dwellings where there is a small overlap between the units so they are classified as multilpe dwellings not terraces. Think back to the older art deco walkups where there is 4 apartments - 2 on each floor - they would be good inspiration for a very normal style manor.
    The main thing to watch out is that when you go for Class 2 dwellings (which manor houses are) then the costs increase significantly.

3. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Thanks Westminster,
    You've hit the nail on the head, the Art Deco walk up, 2 per floor is exactly the product I'd seen and thought about re-working to meet the manor house brief for today's market. If you don't mind I'll drop you a PM to get maybe a link to the two projects you mention above.
    Cheers
    Dave

4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Can you sell the units separately?

Found this.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2019
  5. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Yes, under strata title. Spoken to those guys previously that you linked to. They haven't done any so far.

Archaon likes this.
  6. SteakOnThePlate

SteakOnThePlate Member

The council's that had an existing deferral got another deferral in the past week or so to July 1, 2020 to avoid these new rules (The Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code).

If you want to see examples of Manor Houses just read the design guide (Design Guides for Low Rise Medium Density) for some example plans.

Finding a Certifier might be harder than the Building Designer according to the recent Consultant Report (https://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/-/m...ium-density-housing-code-2019-09-18.pdf?la=en) done to inform the Government on the zoning.

7. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

8. Shan S

Shan S New Member

Fairfield council allows Manor house development, although i have tried looking for any examples but couldnt find any.

9. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

any more info on manor houses?

Alex-T likes this.
  10. Michael_G

Michael_G New Member

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The minister for planning NSW, Paul Scully, was on ABC breakfast radio this morning with the great revelation "oh, ....we can introduce terraces to increase density".

No credit to the existing legislation dating back to 2017 however there seems to be more of a push to make councils allow the additional densities.