Mandatory meth testing on the cards for WA rental homes in Australian first

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Redwing, 6th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Mandatory meth testing on the cards for WA rental homes in Australian first

Western Australia's ice epidemic could impact homeowners with the State Government set to consider mandatory testing for methamphetamine contamination in rental properties.

The move to test if houses have been used as drug labs, or had residue from meth use, would be an Australian first, according to the Real Estate Institute of Australia.

Compulsory testing will be raised in a review of the Residential Tenancies Act, with a consultation paper expected to be released in coming months.

Any legislative reform is likely to take two years, if introduced.

Propin likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Governments are lousy at solutions.

Why not require tenants to be meth/drug tested ? The tenant can affect the property so why not start where the problem starts.

3. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Didn't it come up last year , I thought REIWA managed to make it go away.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Jeez, out of all the things to make mandatory... I mean WA doesn't even have a minimum liveable housing standard for residential tenancies, but sure, some meth dust on the walls we can't have.

Normally I'm one of the lawyers they consult for WA rental tenancies reform so I'll be sure as hell letting them know what I think.

5. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of this? I don’t understand what it aims to achieve? Are the results to be given to the police? Are they for gathering statistical data?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed. So many better things they could concentrate on that would give positive outcomes to tenants and landlords.

All this will do is increase landlord insurance claims for rehab to remove meth effects.

7. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

It is good to see A Current Affair driving government policy. What a joke.

Michael Mitchell and dabbler like this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

every where I turn in the media and places where i visit, it seems at least one person I meet is under the influence of meth..

is meth in australia such a big problem on a global scale?

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I dunno about elswhere, but it is likely,,,,,

The problem is, heaps of people seem to be users.....

10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

For heavily contaminated properties, ( those used as meth labs ), they either need to be cleaned up or go on a hazardous chemicals registrar and treat it like contaminated land until its cleaned up
    The big problem for Perth was a big oversupply in rental properties and desperate investors being targeted by criminal gangs and drug manufacturers .
    They would target people that were self managing ,and in many cases paid upfront for a month or two in advance, and used(nice looking) people to actually get the rental.
    The banks even clamped down on lending to certain areas , as they were left with a heavily contaminated house that required lots of money spent , before it could be sold or rented out and disclosure.

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2019
    Michael Mitchell likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia