Managing the building process

Discussion in 'Development' started by BigKev88, 7th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BigKev88

BigKev88 New Member

Hi all

I am building a property and have engaged a builder. I have a simple question but one that I cannot find the answer to.

Question: What information should your builder give you prior to, during and after the construction? Obviously the contract but my question is coming from what sort of updates and details should I expect? e.g. how detailed is the quote? how frequent should status updates be and to what detail? etc.

Any guidance appreciated.

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

The building contract is a big one in that you need to ensure everything is included there. Anything not included can create variations later on so I think its a good investment in paying for a professional to review and provide feedback on what things to include in the contract. You need to be careful of "builder's range". I personally have a spreadsheet that I use where I have developed over the years to specify each of every item.

There is also a section on liquidated damages (LD) that you need to look at.

In terms of the process - this will be dependent on if you are dealing with a project home builder or a private builder.

Project home builders generally assign a project manager and they are your point of contact - they will give you a rough schedule and keep you posted with the progress of construction. They don't however allow you to come onsite.

Private builders are a bit more flexible in that they allow to come on site, are a bit more pragmatic with variations, etc however are nt as quick or structured as project home builders.

KateSydney, frank22 and Tufan Chakir like this.
  3. BigKev88

BigKev88 New Member

Thanks for the information!