Education & Work Managing people in the workplace issue

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 3rd Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Well, your silence may cost the business. That's your job gone.

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

im sure if the boss wanted my opinion, he would have asked me
    if the boss makes a business decision that he feels is the best and my job goes,
    thats life, and I would rather him make that decision, rather then make the wrong decision so that I have a job

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Definitely not going to comment on your managing style - and yes - I agree that some people can be very toxic to a work environment.

What I will comment on is the "boxes". Having just completed four loooooong modules of WHS (prev OH&S) - you really need to get a small stepladder. An issue has been identified and reported by a staff member - the height of the boxes - regardless of how much they weigh. Climbing on a chair is not considered a safe option under law (even if it is common sense and we do it all the time at home). If someone falls off the chair and injures themselves then the business is in for a world of legal pain.

As for the water bottles - was her suggestion legit? Are they cheaper elsewhere or closer and hence time-saving for only a cent or two extra? If not, then tell her straight out ... if yes then maybe she has a point.

But yes - start the paperwork trail, even though we all try to avoid doing so as we all hate paperwork

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

It's great to have feedback from all staff. Maybe she doesn't realise it's annoying you the way she is saying it, and you don't like feedback. As a manager you should welcome all feedback though.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

as for safety, yes I agree, it probably isnt the safest setup, admittedly we do have a step ladder but since there is a chair right next to the area, its just easier using the chair

as for the water bottles, no it wasnt a leigitmate suggestion,
    the thing that really gets to me, is that its none of her business, its not her area or expertise, or her responsbility. I dont need to hear smart ass comments and her opinion about everything.
    Yes, unpopular as this may be, no matter how many times ive told her, that its none of her business, she needs to be put in her place, and told that her opinion is irrelevant and not needed, and if she wants my job, she can apply for it

also, the majority of these suggestions are just to suit herself,
    the venue is small, we have to compromise on certain things, but she is the only one who complains that it doesnt suit her,
    the fridge broke down, and the owner repaired it rather than replace it (which is what I would have done as well) , and continual complaining that it would be cheaper to buy a new one

I dont tell her how she should do her job, however I do make suggestions, but only when I feel its necessary, as I am the manager

edit: as liz says, it also creates a toxic and disrepsectful environemtn

other staff will see her continually disrespect and undermime me , and will do the same

Lizzie likes this.
  6. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

@TMNT maybe the difference between big business and small business.

Small business seem to just do what they think is common sense, common courtesy, etc

Big business everything is written, documented like job description, what is expected, values and mission statement, etc.

You say she does her job well but there seems to be a miss match with values, behavior attitude.

Does the business have or could introduce maybe 5 Values by which the owner/you think are important.

Spend some time doing some research of big companies values/mission statements, write it up - just a one pager and introduce it to staff at a group meeting or one on if necessary, don't single her out and is important everyone is given the sales pitch of the values that are important to the business/workplace.

Ie one maybe to create a workplace that is respectful and harmonious...why is this important...why do you want staff here that will help create this environment.

Then everytime she asks you one of those curly questions where you feel undermined...answer her with a question of whether she feels it helps to create that value.

Constantly questioning a managers decisions is not respectful, if she is reminded that subtly hopefully she will catch on...but only if it is part of the businesses values/big picture/culture.

7. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

@TMNT another approach maybe just to have a formal chat with her, in the office over the desk...lead with a positive...your great at your job and do it very well...do you like working here?...we like having you here but...this constant back chatting, always poo pooing the way we do things around here, the tantrums....they've got to stop because it doesn't create a very nice environment here. You may be right about a lot of things, but your not going about it the right way, it's not your business and you're not the manager, you need to learn your place and to bite your tongue otherwise things just aren't gonna work out for you here, and I really hope it doesn't come to that because you are great at your job and we like having you here. One day when you manage your own business you can do it just the way you like, but for now I'm the manager and we do it my way.

From then on, everytime she questions...raise your eyebrows and tell her we've talked about this...hopefully she will catch on and find her place.

If not, you will have to carry out your threat and start issuing warnings that you won't stand for that behaviour as it is disrespect and not conducive to a harmonious workplace.

TMNT likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thats exactly, what we did, me, her and the boss sat her down and basically said that

also boss added in that, if you guys cant get along, one of you will have to leave, along with "I have to look after whats best for the business" and that this is the last warning, and there will be no next time

to be honest, thats probably the best way I could think of handling it, being a venue of 6 employees, all this documentation, courses I think are overkill and wont be approved any way

but that being said, if the next time the same thing happens, I will be pushing for dismissal without any excuses

shes been given enough chances, and I wont tolerate any more trouble making

Thanks for listening everyone!:D

willy1111 likes this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

p.s I will also say that , my indsutry is quite a low level entry industry, and you dont really need qualifications to be good at it, so you get a lot of people who for whatever reason do get a bit cocky and arrogant

my employee in question has improved 100%, however at times, I do still see the odd smart alec comment, not necessarily at me, but to others, so it will probably be a matter of time until the next incident

that being said another employee who has always been a bit overconfident and a know all, which has been minimal until now has been getting a bit argumentative recently, so yesterday I said "look, I dont need to justify my decisions to you, however ,had you done it the way Iasked you in the first place, we wouldnt be in this situation, so stop arguing with me, and just do it"

What got to me was his comment of "its a simple fix, it should be obvious, one customer is male, the other is female" (we only had 2 customers at the time)
    all because he didnt follow protocol of writing a customer number down on the document, so then the other staff dont have to try and match customers with profiles and documents

or it could just be me!;)
    /thank you for listening folks

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thought id update,

literally a week after she had calmed down, we had a very busy day at work , and she had a bad day, which wasnt very good, and my boss said, just get through this week and we will work something out, the following day , she had a major meltdown where I got called every profanity under the sun, I even had to move another employee from their section into mine in order just to keep the business running for that shift, I informed the boss and told her she has to go , he came in immediately and took her aside , and told her to get her stuff and take the rest of the week off,and shes done there,

in order to not get sued for unfair dismissal,
    hes moved her to another one of his larger business, where she is under 3 managers , and very little responsbility, and apparently she is doing ok

she dropped by my place a few weeks later, very sheepishly, and said , yeah sorry about everything, and now drops by weekly to say hello,

we ve replaced her with another emplyoee who is similar aged but non australian,
    and she is brilliant,
    makes my day so much better,
    and less grey hairs

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

A couple of things:
    1. Is she pretty? If so, you have a real dilemma :)
    If not, then warnings /write her up and explain just how unacceptable and unprofessional her attitude is.
    2. If she keeps doing it, despite the written warnings, you know what to do.

Moving her to another area/department.. That's unfair to the receiving department. Solve the issue.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Seems like you haven’t read the last few posts? This issue has been solved by the employee working in a different location.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.