Travel & Holidays Malaysia

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 18th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We will be going to Malaysia next year. We're also going to the Middle East, but that's more easily planned.

Time is limited, so we want to spend some time in just 2 or 3 places.

We have just over a week. We will arrive near the end of March. We're not planning on hiring a car- we will be on a bit of a budget anyway.

I understand it's still pretty wet in March, so perhaps KL isn't great. We don't like the big cities anyway, and shopping isn't really a priority.

My wife has been to KL and Malacca so would like to see other places.

I enjoyed the Cameron Highlands many years ago, but I've heard that a lot of it has been cleared, and it's nowhere near as good these days. Does anybody have any feedback?

Given the tail end of The Wet, is it worth while to head to the East Coast? If so, which destination?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The Kuching part of Malaysia's nice. It's a place that I reckon I could have stayed a lot longer than I did. I think it appeals to people from Sydney.

Pumpkin and geoffw like this.
  3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I was planning to visit kuching in early January but had to can it. Sigh. @geoffw I have a friend there and if u r visiting I can connect you both and he could take you around.

geoffw likes this.
  4. geoffw

Thank you. But I guess I was only thinking of West (peninsular) Malaysia at this stage. Flights might take a chunk out of limited time and budget.

larrylarry likes this.
  5. Beanie Girl

Beanie Girl Well-Known Member

The North-East Monsoon strikes between November and February and so the East Coast are generally best avoided during this period.
    Yeah, East Coast like Terengganu in March may still get the tail end of the North-East Monsoon especially if the Monsoon is late.
    But Terengganu has got beautiful, pristine beaches.

The rains are a lot heavier on the east side of the peninsula and they can disrupt boat crossings, and some of the resorts close during November - February, re-opening in March.

Some places that would be nice to visit are Langkawi island (sun and sand), Penang (culture, food, historical town like Georgetown, history as British Straits Settlement ) and Ipoh.

6. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I have been to Malaysia about four times, it has the best food with its Malay, Chinese and Indian.

KK is good for shopping and food and big city stuff. I enjoyed Langkawi as was in a nice resort, but lacked a little authenticity. Penang probably my favourite island stay as has fantastic hawker food at cheap prices. Kota Kinabalu was ok but I was just passing through. Sabah was very relaxing but more remote.

geoffw likes this.
  7. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I really liked Sabah... but that's not on the mainland. Travelling from Kota Kinabula to Sandakan was a good little adventure. Lots to see & do.

Pumpkin likes this.
  8. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I've only been to KL and Malacca, but I've heard good things about Penang - especially if you are into eating. (This was from a Malaysian too, not a tourist)

geoffw likes this.
  9. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

From a tourist perspective, I really liked Penang (the island ). Easy to get around & see the sites in a few days with great food but then again, everywhere in Malaysia is a foodies treat. I'd certainly recommend to anyone who wants a short stay on NW Peninsula.

geoffw likes this.
  10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

You have a week which is very good. Since you dislike the city, why not skip the Peninsula altogether and go to Sabah? As your family grows and life becomes more hectic, you'll find it even harder to go in the future.

Have a look at Lonely Planet Thorntree.

geoffw likes this.
  11. geoffw

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

I'm glad I sound young. We are in our early 60s, with grown daughters and no grandchildren at this stage.

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That you, or your children are aware of.

Cactus likes this.
  13. geoffw

I would only have grandchildren I'm not aware of if I had children I'm not aware of. I'm quite sure my two known daughters haven't had children.

14. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Sorry my bad. No, not sorry. The logic remains: hubby and I tried to go to 'more challenging' places first. .

15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Fair point!

If my sex-ed at high school is correct I'm certain I have no kids or grandkids.

16. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Putting a raincoat on a banana or a carrot won't stop you having kids.