making PPOR debt into good debt

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Excalibur1, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have read about debt recycling and love the idea.

Can loans be recycled between family members. For example, once i pay down my PPOR debt and split the loan, instead of investing in shares or more property. Can i loan the funds to lets say my parents, so that they don't pay the bank but they pay me the interest?

This in turn would make my loan deductible and parents will still have to pay it, but instead of giving the money to the bank they would be giving it to me? What are the limitations on this? Can it be done between family members assuming all correct contract terms are done.

I know... don't do business with family. Assuming all goes well with family members is this possible?

Cheers

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes you can lend to family members. And this can be done as part of a debt recycling strategy.

Get legal advice first as many issues

Gypsyblood, Perthguy and Excalibur1 like this.
  3. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Terry_w . Wouldn't do anything without legal advice :)

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes but what you are asking could well be a Part IVA issue. ie a tax avoidance scheme to obtain a tax benefit. Tax advice would be prudent as not all lawyers can provide personal tax advice

Gypsyblood likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.