Making my way to 34.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 23rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

How soon you can jump off is up to you. :)

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I agree to a point, but if investing is more like a hobby and forms part of a lifestyle then why not. It does not mean you don't enjoy life, or you wont mix with other things like join clubs, travel etc. you can do both. It also means perhaps it gives an opportunity to also help others that are perhaps struggling.

MTR:)

3. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

@kierank

Sublime thoughts .... beautifully articulated!!

kierank likes this.
  4. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 ,

Happy Birthday Leo .... here's to enormous happiness, love and wealth in every respect!!!

Sackie likes this.
  5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

this 'conveyor belt' is sending shivers down my spine, it's too graphical. It's 10 celcius in Sydney tonight and tomorrow is MONDAY

kierank likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I agree to a point :) :) but I have always treated investing as a business and a serious business at that.

Prior to retirement (at 55), I always said I would work (in business and investing) until I was at least 70. In hindsight, I would have blown 15 of the best years of my like.

I enjoyed life when I was working. I have just taken it to another level in retirement. When I was working, I didn't do much community work. Now I do a minimum of 4 hours/week, every week.

I was mainly alluding to people like some close friends of mine. They are close to 60, run their own accounting business for 25 years, own between 10 to 15 IPs (I believe), have a higher net worth than me, work 50 to 60 hour/weeks, ... You get the picture.

They say they love their work, they can't retire (I don't understand why not), ... Two months ago, he had a heart attack and had to be rushed to Emergency. This should have been a massive wake-up call. They have changed NOTHING.

This is what I can't agree with!!!!

Perthguy, ellejay, Marg4000 and 2 others like this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, I don't seem to have got a piece of Leo's birthday cake...

8. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Kieran strangely enough, once again I can't really like this, as this happened a while back to someone very close.

The wakeup call is the most important thing in your post.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2016
    kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

It is only a wake up call if you WAKE UP.

I am so concerned that my close friends didn't/can't hear the alarm bells ringing.

My local pool supplies shop (more like a warehouse as they had $5M in stock) was owned by a hard working husband and wife, both in their late 50's/early 60's. By hard working, I mean 12 hour days and 6 day weeks. They were well known in the industry for how hard they worked. Many said they needed to slow down.

About two years ago, I talked to the husband about their retirement plans. He said they couldn't.

About a year ago, the husband died unexpectedly, a massive heart attack. I was so devastated.

Even after all of this, the wife is today running the business on her own. I just wish she would slow down.

Perthguy, Foxy Moron and Marg4000 like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It was a coffee and walnut ice cream cake mate and it was ravishing :p

Ted Varrick likes this.
  11. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

If you're thinking kids at some stage, I'd consider starting sooner rather than later. Obviously depending when you're ready, but women's fertility drops off after 30, and chances of birth defects increase.

Also your dad/parents won't be around forever - and the clincher - if u wait too long you'll end being an old man with a teenager!

12. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Being a closet fan of English literature I was reading up on the life of William Shakespeare just the other day. Being from Warwickshire he made his way to the big smoke in his early twenties where he carved out a spectacular career as a playright, actor and small business owner – to the extent where he is regarded by many as the greatest writer in the English language.
    He is believed to have retired back to his hometown of Stratford-upon-Avon at aged 49, and died just three years later. That really got me thinking!
    Life certainly is precious, and unless you’ve got fantastic genes and great health, we should all be fairly sensible about longevity in our chosen career or business.
    Kieran in my mind you are heaps smarter than the two families you have mentioned here, even if they do have more loot. I would very much like to be out of our stressful business by early 50’s and then just dink around with a part-time gig and a few investment properties (It’s not far away either).
    Being substantially a business-owner for close to thirty years our superannuation levels are embarrassingly tiny, so hopefully we can be a bit smarter than that pool-shop couple you mention, as I too view age 55 -70 as a time for enjoyment if we last that long. Now if could just get Malcolm to budge on that 500k retrospective cap..lol.

Sackie, kierank and ellejay like this.
  13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Plus the risk of twins increase as she gets older. Found out the hard way!

Cheers,
    Inertia

14. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

If that is how they want to live, what they enjoy, what brings them happiness, gets them out of bed - then who are we to tell them otherwise?

15. Sydney_gal16

Sydney_gal16 Active Member

Oh dear, having palpitations right about now... What do you do when the things you want so badly in life are not coming your way....:(

16. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Like what for example?

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Heart medication... he's sooooo dreamy :cool:

ellejay and Sydney_gal16 like this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What's the matter?

EN710 likes this.
  19. ellejay