Making money from something free?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by albanga, 12th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    I have posted a few times about my hobby website which I have been slowly developing over the past couple of years.

I am not a developer myself but have a friend doing it for very low cost. It’s still not what I would call publicly ready but it’s finally not to far off.

I have many ideas to commercialize it as a paid concept but the one that resonates the most with me (and is legally the easiest) is just giving it to the public for free. Without going into too much detail it’s a site built around sports tipping in a style not done before. I actually know a number of people who operate similar concepts using spreadsheets so I want to be the person to deliver them a free platform to do it.

Now I know I’m likely getting ahead of myself as I currently have 100 members only (mostly friends) but thought I would ask anyway as it could play into some ideas and direction with future development.

So what’s ideas and guidance could anyone provide. I think of this very forum which is mostly free with a small fee to business members. But surely the forum operators are making money in other ways?

thanks in advance

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I expect that site will be receiving money from the ads at the top of the screen.

3. albanga

Yeah I know about banner ads but the click through rate is about 0.00000000002%.
    And for what I would consider to be somewhat clever users, I don't imagine they would have made much (if anything) via these?

I could be totally wrong though and I guess thats why I'm asking :)
    @Simon Hampel care to enlighten a total novice :)

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

years ago, I tried/trialled one of those horse betting/tipping softwares which give you tips and overall you come out in front,

I was skeptical from day one, and never proceeded , but the guy who was following up, called me and said as proof, lets go with his 3 tips did his 3 tips on 3 races over the phone, surprisingly, 2 out of his 3 came through and he was up, so I guess his product did work

but ive always been of the belief, if your product works that well, why would you bother trying to sell it, youd just be making zillions betting

im assuming yours is totally different

albanga likes this.
  5. albanga

I’m in the same boat. Always been interested but never actioned it. My mates and I semi regularly do a punters club. We have a running joke the surest bet you can make is whatever is against our last leg of a multi. Pre CV I did bump into a mate who was off on a holiday with 2 other mates in his punters club. They did a paid service started with 1k and the guy had them to 16k. In the end he went on a bad patch so they pulled out 8. Still a great result but if you started as they were ending you would be broke.

Nah mine is nothing like that. When I say tips I’m referring to tipping like footy tipping. As in you make selections of who will win something as part of a large competition.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Running this (and several other) sites is my full time job - I do make my living from this stuff.

CTRs for the adverts are quite a bit higher than mentioned and I do make good money from them :p

That being said - advertising revenue is less than half of my overall revenue right now - the bulk comes from membership payments.

Advertising generally only works if you have a niche that is in demand and you get very high traffic (millions of page views per month). It can also be fickle and seasonal.

The target audience for the advertising is not typically the members who visit regularly - around 80% of the traffic to this site comes from search engines - those visitors are who the ads are primarily for.

Either way, advertising is certainly not a set-and-forget passive income stream - the big advertising dollars come from direct advertising sales where you have to go out and sell your advertising space rather than waiting for advertising to come to you.

In my view, the best way to make money online is via a subscription based site - develop a product or service that people are prepared to pay for, then sell membership to your site. Understanding your target audience and your value proposition is critical to working out your business model.

Giving something away for free is great for "buying" market share - but it's obviously not a sustainable business model. A freemium model can work well in some cases - offer a base level for free to get people in the door, and then upsell them on advanced packages which give them more bells and whistles or access to content or functionality they can't get in the free version.

Finding the right balance between free and paid is the tricky bit. The free version has to be functional enough to get people in and keep them engaged - but if you give them too much for free, there will be no reason for them to upgrade.

charttv, willair, Perp and 6 others like this.
  7. albanga

@Simon Hampel what a fantastic and insightful post. Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

Maybe if the site gets some traction we can arrange for you to manage another one ;)

I do think about this forum and how wonderful it would be having a site where users create your content for you!

Tom Rivera and Perp like this.
  8. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I used to be a very profitable seller on Ebay selling an item that was actually free, but could gather up to 200 dollars a piece. It was great! I wasn't breaking any laws. They were from my own personal collection and in mint condition, yet my business partner (my mate) and I were contacted by Sony and threatened with action if we didn't cease what we were doing immediately. We contacted Ebay to explain our situation and Ebay sided with Sony... because they obviously didn't want to fight Sony. We had no choice but to stop. Sony refused to believe that we were getting the amount of dollars we were for what we were selling. We couldn't believe it either! People would go crazy bidding on our items and we'd often get a few sales from one auction as we'd always have multiple inventory of the item up for grabs.

So be careful. Some large corporation might come along and screw you over for no reason other than they can. Yes, I'm still bitter about it even though it was probably a good 10 years ago!

I guess apart from ranting, the moral of my story is to really think about what you're good at and what you have unique access to either via location or knowledge and put that to use.

datto likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

A word of warning on that side of things - this is called "User Generated Content" (UGC) and is considered to be far less valuable (from an SEO perspective) than content created by "subject matter experts".

If you have sufficient scale, it doesn't matter so much - eyeballs and engagement are what is important for advertising - but if you are relying on ranking highly for certain SEO keywords, then UGC won't typically outrank other sites which don't rely on UGC. Google is pretty good at identifying UGC and will take that into account in their rankings.

albanga likes this.
  10. albanga

@Simon Hampel this may be such a basic question but im going to ask anyway.

How many visits in your experience is required to translate to making money from direct advertising sales? e.g. what kind of numbers would you typically need to put up for someone to be interested.

TBH that is where I see where my site could potentially sit the best.

As an example its a sports tipping site so im sure if I could generate X traffic a month that could be enticing for betting agencies. e.g. The site is free to play but when someone is entering tips they could see the odds provided by sportsbet

So whilst I myself in no way want to be a gambling website, I have no issue in selling my soul for some revenue to place some banner ads :p

Again this is probably way too basic because maybe in my example because it is so targeted it could require less visits than something much more broad.

11. Simon Hampel

It is very much niche-dependent and I have no experience with sites in your niche, so I don't think I can really add much.

I would suggest that as a general rule of thumb, 100K unique visitors per month would be a good start - but you might get away with a lot less in some niches.

At the end of the day, what matters is performance. You can have a relatively small audience - but if they engage with the advertising and convert to sales (or whatever the campaign goal is), then you'll do well.

I know some blogs have done extremely well with relatively small audiences because they really understand their audience well and present them with advertising which adds value and has great engagement. If it converts well, the advertiser will keep throwing money at it.

Not all advertising is about sales - some is purely about brand recognition - some is simply to drive traffic. The type of advert and how they define success will vary based on the intent behind the campaign and the nature of the site and the audience you have.

You might find that you have to try a few things to work out what will work for you - your initial business model might not work for your niche but you won't know that until you try.

Be aware that you might have difficulty getting permission to show Google based adverts on your site because of your niche - especially if you are also showing adverts for any kind of betting or gambling. Again, I have no experience with this niche so this is only based on stuff that I've read.

albanga likes this.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Across a couple of precious metals blogs in ~2012 I had 20-25,000 page views/month, enough traffic and email subscribers to make $750-1500/month in revenue (combination of paid advertisers and affiliate income), spending only a few hours of my time each week. I never really started out to make money and it wasn't a focus, so probably could have done much better with it if that was a focus.

If the site is niche with a small amount of traffic I would forget Google Ads and go straight to related businesses, offering banner ads (provide the first month free and measure the clicks they are receiving to gauge an ongoing price per month) and look for affiliate programs that may be of interest to your users.

albanga likes this.
  13. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Hey mate,

How is your site any different to the espn footy tips one?

albanga likes this.
  14. albanga

Mine allows players to tip on the outcomes of every major sporting event and award around the globe in the same competitions.
    Think about it like a giant multi-bet but for tipping.

Optimus likes this.
  15. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

That is a great idea.

albanga likes this.
  16. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

When I saw the headline I thought 'bottled water'!

Then I thought you take something pretty ordinary and then market it with an air of exclusivity.

If you get 'exclusive' people flocking to it and they see other 'exclusive' people doing likewise then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. Eg private education, private health, elite clubs etc. You've take something of little inherent value but made it desirable so people will hand over money for it.

Firefly99 likes this.