Making money from property in 1-2 years

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Magic, 9th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

Haha absolutely! Might even catch a plane next time. Just need to find the right airport ;)

MTR likes this.
  2. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Regional areas have a good track record of going up in value after capital cities rise, normally delayed a bit but they get there eventually. A lot of regional areas in NSW have gone up Bathurst, wagga, albury etc. Plenty of opportunity to make some quick money, as others have stated with buying below market value and doing cosmetic touch ups would be your best bet. Research, Negotiate and roll up your sleeves for some renovating. Good luck and let us know how you go :)

Toon and Magic like this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...just heard this from my broker at the moment...I have been saying that this is larger than people think. The trouble is in some areas things are just not valuing up...

What surprised me in mu convo with my broker was he mentioned that he was approached by an Asian client who bought 7 places off the plan...she is a mad panic about losing 2 properties becuase she can't settle...no financiers will lend to her. To use his words....she is in a world of hurt. She has another 5 more coming up for settlement over the next 2 years...

What also surprised me...it is not only apartments...but also houses......watch this space...it looks like history is about repeat in Sydney.......

4. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I'm quite worried about a unit oversupply and rents dropping due too much stock on the market. I'm starting to ask my PM's in Sydney to try and get 12 month leases on resigns. Going to be an interesting few years ahead.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep......I see this also happening in Brisbane and Melbourne where investors have heavily targeted

6. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I agree in apartment market.

But will there be contagion? Some people have tried to argue with me there will be. Going so far as to say it will be worse for H&L in outer suburbs if the apartment market tanks.

I can't see the fundamentals of a house in a mid or outer ring suburb changing because an over supply of shoebox inner city apartments built solely for overseas investors.

Yes it may get to a point where the apartment represents better value for money but I don't think it will significantly drag down prices of a completely different product in a different area.

JacM, larrylarry and radson like this.
  7. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

500k investment
    50k profit after 1-2 years

Like many have already said, this is more than doable. I'd almost go as far as saying its relatively easy.
    This type of investment budget is ideal for a very small development or a H&L build type strategy.
    As long as your research and due diligence is good, a 50k target would be very achievable.

I've actually got a similar strategy that I've been using although with slightly higher budget. Land sub div strategy.. 600k budget, with a target of 100k profit after approx 18 months. I then pull out the original deposit and go again.

Magic and Cactus like this.
  8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Ofcourse it can be done with a subdivision and renovation combination.

I would buy a 2 bedder somewhere in Melbourne (I would personally aim for North West) with the ability to knock down internal walls and turn it into a 3 bedder (Purchasing budget and closing costs of 700k). Put 30-40k into a renovation whilst in the meantime going through planning to subdivide the rear. All up 100k including holding costs for 2 years.

New independent values would be around 900k+. 30k selling costs for a gross profit of 70k.

All this without factoring in any CG.
    Easy Peasy lemon squeezy!....not sure why I have only done this once though...

Cactus and Gockie like this.
  9. Magic

Magic Active Member

Thanks albanga, I haven't done this before but happy to give it a go once I work out the numbers. I'm sure with more research and guidance from the correct educated people it is possible.
    Budget is 500k, not 700 so I can't see this method working above.

I like the ideas people have put forward of buying well, add Reno.
    I also like the subdivision ideas.
    Connor/cactus/sash, What's easier or the least risk way between subdivision or building h&l packages?

What about buying an older house on a bigger block that needs a cosmetic Reno, paint/carpet/kitchen- lower cost. And getting permits to build/subdivide an additional dwelling or 2, and selling it without developing. Would this method give you enough profit without building?

10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Do you have 500k in cash or 500k as budget when borrowing and if borrowing is this at 80% LVR or we talking 95% LVR?

11. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

For real ? Do you know any more details? Like where in India ?

12. albanga

The reason I say 700k is because their is a sweet spot I believe where the newly created land would be sellable.

Lower price points means less land value and as such people will be far less inclined to purchase land to construct. Developers are not also going to be knocking down your door to build 1 townhouse with probably very little profit.

Cactus and Magic like this.
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong

Well...almost .....India-nah!

14. Magic

Magic Active Member

Borrowings of 500k purely for example, to generate the 10% return within 2 years.

15. Magic

Magic Active Member

What price point are you thinking of buying regarding your example?

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I aim for $600K end product due to the FHB cut off, this is in Melb market
    Also attracts the lower end downsizers, gives them money in their pocket after sale of home

17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Absolutely but thats value adding not passive investing

Sackie and Perthguy like this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I would have no problem turning 500k into 50. It would be quite a challenge to not lose $450k in a couple of years.

legallyblonde and sanj like this.
  19. albanga

End product of what though?
    The existing house?
    The land?
    Or the combined value?

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

end product/development - townhouses