Making a trust and buying property with 2-3 others

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by jai collier, 26th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jai collier

jai collier Well-Known Member

Hi all i have had many different ideas about my next property move & am taking my time planning my next as i want it to work like my first property move has.

heres a idea i have recently thought of, i have 3 friends that all earn lets say 3-400k a year between them but dont own property yet, i have a duplex i built and now i rent out and earn about 100-110k a year plus my passive income, & about 700k in equity.
    What if i was to make a trust and have my 3 friends in it too, using all our incomes and pulling equity out of my house to buy property and it be split in equal ownership between us.

the extra income of the 2-3 others could mean i could have MUCH bigger buying power and it could benefit us all by buying and renting propertys in a trust.

it may not be a trust we would do this in?? Im pretty sure it would be, ifnot a company i guess?

any advice & personal experiences doing this would be great all!
    Thankyou.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Nothing really new as a concept - you are forming an unlisted property trust.

Out of curiosity, how will you (for your friends sake) outperform say BrickX (or Centuria or Charter Hall for that matter)?

The Y-man

jai collier likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Before you start - you need to think about how you will end.

What is the exit plan?

What if someone needs their money urgently?

What if someone loses their job and cannot afford to pay the loans?

At what point do you sell the property? What if selling causes tax problems for one of the friends?

What if one of your friends becomes bankrupt?

What if someone gets married and then divorced and their share is part of the settlement and so one of the parties is no longer a "friend", but someone hostile?

What if someone dies?

Who is going to administer the trust? Who is going to make the decisions? What if you can't agree on important decisions?

Why would you use equity in your house and then have equal ownership? It's your equity - surely you get a greater percentage of the ownership?

Don't do it. It sounds great in theory - but the practical realities and difficulties can be really difficult to overcome.

It can be done - and I've heard of people making this type of thing work - but you are also introducing a million new variables for things to get really really complicated because **** happens.

If you are going to do it - you would probably want to use a unit trust so you each have exactly the same rights based on the units you hold. A company loses CGT discounts, so might not be the best choice.

Be aware the financing can be a little more tricky because of the structure - and you need to be careful because a lender may require all of you to be jointly and severally liable for the debt - which means that if one of your friends stops making payments, the bank will make it your problem.

JacM, Player and jai collier like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it is certainly possible to set up, but something you need legal advice on. It could be done via a unit trust, one discretionary trust, 3 discretionary trusts or a company or a combo. A unit trust wouldn't be recommended generally. Finance needs to be considered before forming the structures and structure it in a way that maximises serviceability.

jai collier likes this.
  5. jai collier

I guess you mean how we do as well as a big scale trust & make better profits? We might aswell join brick x/charter hall?

Good question mate haha well 2 of us are tradesmen so that could help in regards to renovating/building

it would definitely be less risk joining a bigger trust, but we could make better money with 4 of us then joining a large trust surely?

thanks y-man you reply to alot of my posts so i appreciate your expertise

6. jai collier

I see mate thankyou for the advice, deffinitly some risk involved in it then

7. jai collier

& yes if i was to front something like this with my money i would deffinitly hold the biggest share

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not always the case.

Remember large trusts have:
    • access to cheaper and bigger finance
    • capability/expertise to doing (really) big deals
    • more liquidity (for unit holders to sell down or exit)
    • larger portfolios to even out vacancies
    • Ability to land bank - buy huge tracts of land, hold, and then do subdivisions, land sales and H&L when the market is right.
    amongst other things....

Other questions that come to mind:
    - How will the 2 tradie partners be paid? In shares?

In terms of performance examples, let's take Charter Hall DOF as an example...

I bought in at 72 cents per unit in 2014
    They are currently worth $1.57
    They have paid me consistently around 7% pa in rental return (net of all costs) throughout.

There have been bigger performers, but they are a bit harder to find these days.

The Y-man

jai collier likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Some risks? I see LOTS of risk. Not saying don't do it, but get legal advice and think of ALL the potential things that could go wrong.

jai collier likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Is that mostly from a financing perspective?

Ignoring the finance aspect, I would have thought that a unit trust makes the most sense when it gives everyone clearly defined specific rights basd on their unitholding? Unlike a discretionary trust where by-definition there is flexibility and thus is subject to the discretion (whim?) of the individuals involved, which could lead to unfair outcomes?

Speaking entirely theoretically of course - none of these may be the best choice for their specific circumstances - while also recognising that we can't actually ignore the finance aspect unless they happen to be buying with cash only!

Helen Cheng likes this.
  11. Terry_w

A unit trust can work but can result in more cgt but it can be simpler for 3 separate trustees of discretionary trusts to be tenant in common owners with each family discretionary beneficiaries of all trusts and each trust controlled by one family. Easier to finance too

jai collier likes this.
  12. Calder&Scale

Calder&Scale Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to get finance for a property purchased via multiple discretionary trusts in 'partnership'?

It would be my choice of structure, but I don't know how the bank would view it.

13. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

unit trusts work very well where the property is subject to revenue account.

some potential stamp duty savings as well where unitholders need to exit.

also a good structure where you have smsfs involved

Helen Cheng, jai collier and Terry_w like this.
  14. Terry_w

Yes

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Unit trusts have many applications..and limits Eg typically one lender may use the security or unitholders may use other security and still get neg gearing. disc trusts in partnership may be limited to that trustee seeking lending