Make offer higher than pre-approved purchase price?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by izzy16, 11th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Hypothetical scenario...

Let's say I have a pre-approval for $1M purchase price and then I make an offer which is accepted at $1,030,000.

If I manage to pull together the $30K difference (e.g. continued savings while looking / family gift / dividend from my Pty Ltd) would lenders be OK with this sort of thing?

I'm assuming the lender would come to the table to get me to the $1M as long as I can fund the $30K shortfall, but I have no idea...

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What if the lender values the property at 900k?

3. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

My lender okayed ongoing weekly savings into my savings account with proof that it's coming from my usual income. But you need signed letters that it's a gift from someone else & I guess they just need a paper/electronic trail to prove that it hasn't come out of nowhere.

izzy16 likes this.
  4. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

Good point.

OK, assuming I'm in cooling off and the lender values it at $1,030,000.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Preapproval for 1m at what LVR? Can you increase the LVR, for example?

This should be a conversation with your mortgage broker.

6. izzy16

izzy16 Well-Known Member

90% Base LVR + LMI. No option to go any higher with current lender.

My first guess was that this sort of thing would be common (people overcooking bids at auction comes to mind) and they need to find the remaining funds to complete from somewhere.

Haven't been able to reach my broker today so thought I'd quickly post to sense-check this.

I'm in a position where there seems to be quite a few properties going for the $1M to $1,050,000 range that are the kind we're looking for which prompted the thought.

Thanks.

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Your pre-approval relates to the loan amount not the purchase price,
    So if you go $30K over your budget regarding the purchase price you will still be able to get the loan amount you're pre-approved for however you will need to come up with the $30K shortfall from somewhere else. Your LVR and LMI would be reduced in this scenario, assuming the property valuation is all OK.

craigc, Toucan and izzy16 like this.
  8. Ravi Gupta

Ravi Gupta Active Member

Lender would ask you to show evidence of funds to complete. Some lenders ask you to provide stat dec if it is a gift. Cash gift may only be accepted from sibling/parent. Gifts of large cash amount from friends may not be accepted. It is best to have a word with your broker/lender and have a plan ready.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Wise to understand what is approved. Eg is it 80% of 1m? In which case you will need 30k plus 20% x 1m....plus duty on 1.03m etc....

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF