Major water leak

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chill, 10th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chill

Chill Active Member

Hi There,

I had a large water leak somewhere inside my rental property resulting in a water bill of 3K charged to my tenant. The leak has been repaired and the tenant applied for a leak allowance credit on the water bill. This reduced the bill down to 2.8K, so not much of a credit. The tenant has now requested that I pay 2.4K of the bill as their normal water bill is $400. They are a good long serving tenant.
    What is reasonable given the circumstances?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you addressed this with the water authority? Does the tenant get billed directly by Melbourne Water or do you pass on the charges?

How long did it take for the tenant to notice a leak? Did they report it immediately? A $3000 water bill is something like 1.5ML - this would be the equivalent of 25-30 backyard pools :eek: - did the house float down the street?

You need a letter from your plumber advising the fault, that it was repaired ASAP after the PM was advised of the leak.

Last edited: 10th Jan, 2020
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Which state is the IP in?

The Y-man

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ring up your landlord insurance and let them deal with the problem..

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

This is a landlord problem, you cannot hold a tenant responsible for a fault in the plumbing.

Unless the water was pouring down the street or visible on the yard, the tenant may not have known until the bill arrived, which is how many water leaks are first detected.

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Chill

Chill Active Member

Property is in Victoria.

7. Chill

Chill Active Member

My tenant has followed this up with the water authority as have received a small credit. South East water bill the tenant directly.
    Tenant did not notice any leak. It wasn't until the bill arrived that they realized there must be a problem. Yes they reported it as soon as they got their bill.

8. Chill

Chill Active Member

I think that I will go down this path.

9. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Serious question. Where did all the water go? Under the house? To the garden? What other damage did the escape of water cause? Rot?

10. Scott No Mates

What was the fault?

11. Chill

Chill Active Member

The fault was a burst 20m copper line under a tree near the front door.

12. Chill

Chill Active Member

Good point. I have asked the property manager to provide a copy of the water authority bill for the water usage. The huge quantity of water may have caused other damage to items such as the stumps under the house that may not be showing any signs of issues at the moment at least to the tenants.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not trying to funny as i see this will be a costly outcome for some-one and i hope it's not you..

If you installed a new line in ,then it may pay to use who ever checks the metre's and see if it running as it should it could be at fault..

With amount of water and at the front door unless the tenants used the back door this would have been like-quick sand ..imho..

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  14. Chill

Chill Active Member

The situation is actually much worse than expected. I have discovered that the size of the water bill was actually 8K!!! and the water authority deducted the bill down to 2.8K. I think that the water authority were actually very generous and probably thought that the tenant must have been walking in water outside and yet they failed to raise the issue with the property manager at an earlier stage. They must have allowed a flood to continue for months. I am now more concerned about other damage to the property as a result of this huge water leak.

15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe they were running a carwash business!! :eek:

But seriously - there would have been a river running down the street at that sort of rate!

The Y-man

16. Chill

Chill Active Member

Yes I'm starting to suspect a faulty meter however the tenant is no longer complaining about large water bills since the repair to the burst pipe.

17. Scott No Mates

What made the tenant think about contacting the PM? Was it that their car had washed down the road or that Noah had made a visit to collect their two cats?

datto, TheRayTracer, Beano and 4 others like this.
  18. Chill

Chill Active Member

Actually the tenant has not had a new water bill since the repair of the pipe. It is not due until March. If that shows another massive usage then I can assume that the meter is faulty.

19. Scott No Mates

Even simpler, they can check the usage before they go to bed (or to work/out all day) & write it down. When they get up (or return home), check it again - there should be minimal change if anything.

20. Chill

Chill Active Member

I think that the water meter reading guy must be reading the meter wrong. He is probably out by a factor of 100.

PFA Property Expo is designed in a way that visitors can gather maximum real estate knowledge with added benefits. Different speakers will be presenting on different topics as where to buy, when to buy in this market...