Major plumbing issues post settlement

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Frosty123, 24th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Yes. We've had three blockages where our sewer backed up to the outdoor overflow. First two times the blockage was where our sewer joined the main line under the street and that is a cost for council to fix. Actually very first time we paid a plumber and he said next time call the council. We paid him because he did the work but we learned to call council next time in case it is on their land. Third time it was within our property boundary (inside our fence line) and we paid to have it cleared.

Be careful when you get them out. Third time was Sunday night. We had to decide whether to call council out and cop a $600(ish) bill if it was on our land. Or wait til morning and pay $200 if it was on our land.

We chose to wait thankfully and next morning first thing council arrived and showed us the tree roots via camera, clearly on our property and it cost us no more than had we got a local plumber.

2. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Always happens. Every house I've bought. I've started offering $1000 less each time

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Was the place previously rented? Call that PM and ask the history and then call the plumber that went out. He may have dated CCTV showing when he was there and the issue.

Either way you need it fixed by the sounds so get onto, anything you get back is a bonus but it won't be easy. Very unlikely council will pay anything.

Council will only look after the main, and often to the "first joint" off the junction is their responsibility, then it is private sewer. so they are worth a call to inspect the main, they may clear out some roots to make your plumbers job easier

4. bob shovel

What council is this?? They charge you for going out to check their main? What was the 200 for?

If its the main the neighbours upstream are going to be affected to. If it's in "unliveable" condition the neighbours would be swimming in it too. The plumber would have known if it was a council issue and plumbers just have toys they can't take on the council stuff

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is BCC. They didn't charge us for checking their main at all. They said each time we've had them out that they deal with anything from the main up to our fenceline. The last time we had a blockage they came out, put an eel down and cleared the blockage and the cost was $200. We would have paid a plumber a similar fee.

Time before it was a problem with the main - no charge to us.

First time this happened our plumber said had we called BCC they would have fixed for free. Second time that is exactly how it unfolded.

Third time we chose to wait til Monday morning and had we got them out Sunday night it would have cost us over $600 as the blockage (this time) was within our property boundary.

BCC guys used an eel the same as our plumber but they were in a big truck with other gear if needed.

One of the times we had the camera down (cannot recall if it was BCC or plumber) so we could see where the pipe is cracked and needs replacing or relining (soon).

I think BCC started the eel at the jump up near our fence and when that was clear they looked from our front two to the boundary and there was the cracked pipe and golden cane roots.

This is an ongoing issue until we replace or reline that old section of pipe but BCC certainly were friendly and did the job and charged us $200.

I was happy to pay them seeing this time it was our tree roots inside our fenceline.

6. bob shovel

TMNT and Marg4000 like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

8. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Unlikely you will get any joy from the vendor....so I hope you got a good purchase price...
    Get the pipes fixed and the tree root problem solved....got to keep the tenants happy otherwise the problem will snowball...!
    New pvc pipes will work.
    As part of due diligence I always flush the toilet a number of times and look for slow draining pans and any damp/mushy spots in the yard.
    The smell can be a good giveaway too.....:(

Recently look at one place where the stormwater was directed right at the side of the house above the damp course.....floorboard inside were watermarked and going soft but the agent said "it was normal wear & tear".....:eek:
    Good luck.

Last edited: 25th Feb, 2016
  9. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

So it's all fixed now, however, at a cost of about $4000. :( Live and learn I guess.
    The damage was at the jump up which required deeper excavation.
    I understand this is considered pre-existing, and so cannot be claimed as a deduction this year.

I have an offset account with surplus funds in it against a loan I used as the deposit of this property. Can I use this to pay the cost of these works, and claim the interest going forward? I assume this is not considered a mixed purposed loan if I go ahead and do this...?

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

See tax tip 1. Maybe

Frosty123 likes this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not the end of the world, glad to hear you have resolution.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

No.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I know how you feel but its like buying a second hand car privately

No warranty unless specifically mentioned

14. dabbler

Yeah, there is always something wrong too, but if you want to spend money you can have all trades inspect what they can, but probably better to save the money and expect at least a few K for some sort of repairs.

No one is perfect either, I had a place inspected, I also spend some time inspecting it myself, first night of settlement, went to turn on the lights in lounge, hall , bedroom etc....no lights.....they had been replaced by fans without lights in them, weird, but you think between us all we would have picked that up, but we didn't.

15. Kis Kis

Kis Kis Well-Known Member

Hi what is B&P??

16. dabbler

Building and Pest inspection, but do not count on a discount.....vendor not obliged at all.

Kis Kis likes this.