NSW Maitland: where are all the people coming from?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by bbinvest, 19th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bbinvest

bbinvest Member

I have been involved property in the Maitland NSW area on several fronts recently and am quite surprised at the market.

Registered land is being snapped up quickly (HomeBuyer somewhat explains that), but the rental market is very tight and your average family homes are also attracting a lot of interest with buyers. Overall it appears to be a seller's market (with some niche exceptions).

Everywhere you look there is a new estate popping up or existing ones expanding.

What I can't get an answer on is where all the people are coming from. There seems to be an exodus from Sydney (remote work becoming more normalised?), but it's not a jobs epicenter in its own right, but is well placed to commute (M1, Pacific Hwy, Hunter Expressway, not far from Newcastle etc).

There is also a snowball effect, more population, more industry, more jobs, more population, etc.

Interested in everyone's thoughts...

George Smiley likes this.
  2. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

I worked there for 2 years. There is a good secondary school, public hospital and well established allied health services. Lower Hunter area was a trial location for NDIS. Hospital has free public out patients clinics and there is a dedicated school for children with Autism, Special school for children with disabilities in the area.

George Smiley likes this.
  3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I sold my mums 3br place in what is locally known as "Old Metford " last year. lots of interest but the serious buyers were Sydney investors looking for a bargain and a young professional couple relocating from Armidale for work. It was sold to the young couple.

4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Possible from the rest of the Hunter region? Seems like the second hub for the region and commutable to Newcastle. Housing is a lot more affordable and convenient.

5. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

my neighbour from Sydney relocated to Maitland area last year. Sold house in Sydney which she had mortgage and bought house mortgage free. She was very happy.

6. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I have a client currently living in a beachside suburb of sydney about to buy at Maitland and will be commuting to the upper north shore each day. Their argument is that it's cheaper than south western sydney and possibly a similar work commute time.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Shamrock1

Shamrock1 Well-Known Member

East Maitland is an attractive area to buy I think with the expanded Greenhills, Maitland Private Hospital, New Hospital and not far from Newcastle.

It’s even a “catalyst area” in the Hunter Regional Plan 2036.

My only concern is the endless land out the back of Greenhills heading toward Hunter Expressway. Based on the age old supply/demand argument, If they keep building more houses it makes East Maitland less exclusive.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this and how can I tell if there are more estates planned out that way