Maitland area NSW v Brisbane Moreton Bay region v Brisbane inner south v Ipswich region

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by NewGuy88, 6th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peninsula Property

Peninsula Property Well-Known Member

wilso8948 likes this.
  2. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Personally I would avoid unit/townhouses in Moreton Bay. In general SEQ demographics still prefer houses with backyard over these. Plus lots of new townhouse supplies around the new uni since rezoning.

Cheers,
    David

NewGuy88, Propertunity and tommo c like this.
  3. tommo c

tommo c Well-Known Member

Certainly a lot going on in the Moreton bay area!

Paula Ospina likes this.
  4. jenno1612

jenno1612 Active Member

just as a real world example, we were renting a townhouse in Kallangur while renovating our new house (on Goodfellows road so would probably be considered prime Kallangur area i suppose as walking distance to the new uni / train station and close to freeway etc etc)

Owners bought it for $350K off the plan in 2008, renting it out for $340 a week. Now townhouses in the complex are selling for $300K. There is 4 for sale in the complex we were in. 7 in the identical complex next door, and 5 in the complex across the road.

We moved out in early Dec and it only just got rerented last week.

NewGuy88 likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What about in another area where there aren't any huge complexes, like the Redcliffe peninsula?

Last edited: 27th Feb, 2019
  6. Peninsula Property

That is changing in the form of height ( larger complexes) rather than a sprawl of 70 units at ground level , in Redcliffe.

Freestanding homes are still available under 425k on the peninsula and would appreciate far greater return than a 2-3 bed townhome/unit.

More high rise is submitted along hornibrook esp, marine pde and Landsborough ave.

I'd stick to the 3-1-2 style and add value. Townhome''s are a bit more tricky to add value to & solely rely on less of them to be available. ( Which isnt happening currently).

7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Just thought I would throw another possibility out there and suggest you have a look at the inner suburbs of Ipswich around Newtown/Eastern Heights. You could pick up a great house there, big block, close to all amenities. I had the same decision to make a couple of years back and was considering Moreton Bay, Logan and Ipswich and drove around them all. After doing so I bought in Ipswich. I liked the feel more than the others and the $$$ being spent there is quite astonishing.

NewGuy88 likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Actually - I live in that area and it's not overly reliant on mining. A lot work in tourism (wine region) or commute to Newcastle. Singleton, Muswellbrook and Scone are mine dependent - so I'd avoid them.

As said before, buy something already established and older. Avoid the new developments and the small towns like Kearsley and Abermain like the plague. Rutherford if good - East Maitland is good - even have a scour around Newcastle to suburbs like Cardiff.

NewGuy88, Islay and EN710 like this.
  9. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Actually - I grew up in that area. For 25 years. Still have family and friends in the area. Cessnock and Kurri are still overly reliant on mining and related industries. Although not all are directly in the mines, many still are in fabrication, boilermaking, fitting etc roles in surrounding workshops in the area. Taking coal out of these areas will still have an extremely detrimental effect. There is also plenty of useable land for housing. I agree that they are better options than say Singleton and Muswellbrook but was more pointing out these areas are more reliant on the coal industry than people think. They are better than 10 years ago certainly. But not as great as many Sydneysiders feel they are travelling up to wine country of a weekend.

10. NewGuy88

NewGuy88 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the real world example, much appreciated

11. NewGuy88

Thanks for the feedback, I'm researching into Rutherford

jenno1612 likes this.
  12. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

If you’re willing to look a little further north into the MBRC area you may consider Morayfield / Caboolture. Will likely take a little longer for CG to flow through but things are moving slowly up there. Don’t worry to much if someone puts up a graph showing the median not moving over time. If you look at comparable property type you will see the 4x2’s on 600m2 in good condition around 10 years old have moved from about $320k to $350k in the last few years. There is good rental demand and yield of 5 - 6% so CF may help your serviceability for IP 2. Some of the downsides are distance from CBD and availability of land. There is a train line but it’s about an hour to CBD.

13. NewGuy88

What attracted you to Newtown/Eastern Heights? Proximity to Ipswich Hospital & USQ ... I was originally looking into Redbank Plains but have gone a bit cold on Ipswich area

14. NewGuy88

Thanks for your input... Morayfield homes are still on my radar, still researching into a renovated 2 bed unit around Coorparoo/Greenslopes in a small block with low body Corp v 4 bed Morayfield home on decent land ...

15. Peninsula Property

Stay clear of Morayfield and Caboolture , to much land available for new builds, throw capital gain in the bin IMO. Also the demographic data is on par with Logan or West Ipswich

16. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

The proximity to those facilities yes, coupled with the fact that the entire CBD is getting an extensive makeover. Billions of Government spending in the area with the Air Force etc. Also it was the only area I visited that I though I could see myself living at that price point.

17. NewGuy88

Lots of differing views & interpretations of data on suburbs like Morayfield

18. NewGuy88

Cheers for your feedback, do you have any opinion on Redbank Plains $350K houses ?

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No, just no.

If considering Ipswich, you will want a property very close to the Cbd in Ipswich, RedbankPls is not that.

20. Peninsula Property

Redbank plains will give the same return as buying in Morayfield. Those suburbs are just that!

It's pretty much a dull suburb with no real growth factors.

We had an investment in Tivoli many years ago , great tenants and great performance but this was in 2002- 2006

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia