Maitland area NSW v Brisbane Moreton Bay region v Brisbane inner south v Ipswich region

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by NewGuy88, 6th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Please dont limit your trip to the main road - ensure you go into all the residential areas to.,

jenno1612 likes this.
  2. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Hospitals are always good hubs to buy close to. The lower Hunter ticks quite a few infrastructure boxes. The best deals imo are the established renovators on bigger blocks with infill development potential.

Archaon and NewGuy88 like this.
  3. NewGuy88

NewGuy88 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry to much about he negative & judgmental comments ... as long as you are happy living in Deception Bay

4. NewGuy88

I will definitely visit Redcliffe & check out neighbouring suburbs like Kippa-Ring

5. NewGuy88

Thanks again for your advice on infill development potential ... What's your opinion on Singleton, Muswellbrook & Scone ? ... I've read a few articles promoting their potential for CG ...

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I spent a lot of time looking at Hunter, South of Syd rural areas, and Central West, Mus and co are dead ***** holes, South of Syd ok, depends on where though, but nearly all of Central West is great, very busy, lots of shops - that stay open !

So forget Musa.....it is a dump and even when mining picks up, will still be a social dump......go there yoursel and try and do shopping or buy a coffee after mid day sat......dead....yuck, and the minig has made so much of the surrounding landscape so ugly, it is truly a shame, gotta love coal !

Tony66 likes this.
  7. NewGuy88

Whereabouts south of Sydney ? What were you thoughts on Maitland area?

8. dabbler

Between Syd outskirts and Canberra way, or more to the point, around Goulburn etc...

I have no thoughts on central coast area, I was forced to slave away there for near a decade, so hate it and the south coast down to Nowra way.....

I have spent a lot of time along the coast and inland, down to Melbs, Adelaide, all central west to border and to Adelaide and lots of time in SE QLD....

Central West NSW is the best, so moved there, some places I liked the rural areas, but they were let down by the larger towns.....

I am in Orange, and Bathurst, Lithgow, Cowra, Dubbo, Wellington and a myriad of other towns are close, they are all doing pretty well, good towns and good rural land, good access to Syd too.

9. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@NewGuy88 I agree with Dabbler that the upper Hunter is riskier and more mining dependent. It can work if you time the cycle but much more risky than lower down closer to Newy and the coast. Goulburn not a bad town but much of my investor/developer work these days is in Shoalhaven as it contains all of the above infrastructure growth you are looking for (for the 3-5yr growth based around new hospitals etc) plus has the coast which is drawing the natural influx of lifestyle migration. Going full regional out west of the mountains is an option but TBH I mainly see people with local knowledge buying well or multi-property investors using towns like Dubbo, Orange, Wagga, Albury to diversify their portfolios. If you can only afford 1 and it is in a country town its harder to predict when the growth will come as so many factors impact their economies including the weather patterns.

10. dabbler

Yeah, if it is one and only IP, you will have to do some real hard thinking, in a year or two it may be time to pick up something in Syd.....

Anyway, I suggest checking potential places out yourself and get a feel for them.

Also look at growth and try and nut out potential, a lot of places have already sailed....some are more constant growers at a moderate rate, and some places I looked at are basically same price as 2 decades ago !

11. NewGuy88

I was just wondering why the media reports give the Upper Hunter good wraps for potential CG ? Personally I wouldn't go further than Maitland ... being closer to Newcastle + the coast definitely fits in with my criteria ... You mentioned Nowra, which other suburbs in Shoalhaven do you recommend?

12. NewGuy88

Will definitely check out the places to get a feel for them ... I've been up to Cessnock & Maitand suburbs like Rutherford & Telarah already, I'll be going to Brisbane in April

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What media reports?

14. NewGuy88

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Na, you need to read a lot more than that article.

16. NewGuy88

Very true @Angel, but it's a very good starting point for a 1st time PI like myself, that's why I'm this forum trying to learn as much from experienced PI, Mortgage Brokers, Buyers Agents etc ...

17. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Think it’s funny that people say steer clear of areas with abundance of land and reliant on mining then suggest areas like Cessnock and Kurri. Most workers there are either in or directly related to mining industry and there’s land aplenty..

18. NewGuy88

Thanks everyone for your advice & opinions ... I have still have lots of learn as a first time PI ... I have an understanding of the micro & macro economics side, but need have a better understanding of the demographics side ... so you may see further posts from me ... enjoy the rest of your weekend

19. Paula Ospina

Paula Ospina Active Member

Hi :)

I personally like Moreton bay for the following reasons;
    - Located between 2 employment hubs- The Sunshine coast (which is expected to have +100,000 new jobs over the next 20 years) and Brisbane CBD
    - Roughly 30min to the airport which is having major upgrades (2nd Runway and Domestic terminal redevelopment)
    - Its in a strategic location benefiting from the Mill new uni, which will generate employment opportunities.
    - Redcliffe Hospital Upgrades
    - Strong population growth, 618,000 residents by 2036
    - 10,000 students expected by 2030
    - Redcliffe foreshore master plan

As mentioned above I would consider deception bay as it has a lower entry point close proximity to the water and amenities.

tommo c likes this.
  20. NewGuy88

Thanks for your input Paula :) ... I also like Moreton Bay region & believe there will be good growth opportunities for houses, however for my price point of $350K maximum, I could only buy a unit or townhouse IP ... What's your opinion on Unit/Townhouse growth in Moreton Bay region ?