Mail bombs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 27th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Seven countries were banned - Why these 7 countries are listed on Trump's travel ban

Which doesn't seem to correlate where the actual terrorists come from - Where America's Terrorists Actually Come From - The Atlantic

But again, this is nothing but deflection from the fact that the mail bomber was a white male who had no interest in politics until riled up by the rhetoric espoused by Trump

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    wylie likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Was about to post on the killing ... Now the president is blaming the victims for not having an armed guard. By cripes. It' a place of worship and peace!

Four armed and trained policemen were also shot - not sure how a civilian armed guard was supposed to prevent a madman

Last edited: 28th Oct, 2018
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Probably not much? It was a response to the comment before mine suggesting that Bannon being involved in that policy decision was "racism".

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

He was - refer my post three above yours. The bans weren't really about religion, but rather origin

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds like you probably need to stop reading fake left media, seriously silly stuff.

MTR:)

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Oct, 2018
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Which highlights the absurdity of media and others referring to it as a "Muslim ban".

Neither is it about race per the reasoning in your link.

8. geoffw

I'm not sure what your problem is with this. Even the more right wing media are saying the same thing
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/27/trump-says-armed-guard-might-have-stopped-synagogue-slaughter/

Edit: New York Post, which is a strongly Trump leaning newspaper, not NY Times.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay so what was the ban about if it wasn't banning - people of Muslim religion - or people of a particular race - or people who come from a country that has caused terrorist acts on the US ... ?

11. geoffw

The original order blocked entry of people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.
    Executive Order 13769 - Wikipedia

Not all Muslim countries were banned, but all banned countries are Muslim.

You argue that bias against people of a religion is not racism. While that is correct, I would argue that bias against anybody on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual preferences or anything else is wrong.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And why not ban entry from those from the country the 9/11 pilots came from. Could it be due to oil and money?

Ambit and Lizzie like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Oct, 2018
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Deflection from the point at hand yet again ... what a sad reflection on what the US society has become that it needs armed guards at school and churches.

What is a beat up over nothing? The fact that 11 people were killed in a church during a child naming ceremony and all the President has to say about it is that it's their own fault as they should've had an armed guard? Four policemen were also shot so don't think an armed guard is the solution.

Please explain exactly what the beat up is supposed to be? Eleven people just got killed by a hate crime, in the same week a dozen pipes bombs were sent, in the same week that an armed white man tried to break into a black church and when foiled killed two innocent black bystanders what yelling "kill the blacks".

And barely a few hours after the synagogue shooting, Trump was at yet another rally - said some sympathetic words - then was back to inciting an undercurrent of hate. Do you not see the link?

15. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Pretty sad reflection on society as a whole to think people attending educational facilities and now churches need armed guards to protect them from gun wielding nutjobs.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Trump stopped the ban on refugees from 'high-risk' countries earlier this year but they will still face risk-based assessments

Meanwhile in China..

China's hidden camps: What's happened to the vanished Uighurs of Xinjiang?

China is accused of locking up hundreds of thousands of Muslims without trial in its western region of Xinjiang.

The government denies the claims, saying people willingly attend special “vocational schools” which combat “terrorism and religious extremism”.

Now a BBC investigation has found important new evidence of the reality.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Go back and read the link that you provided? Why these 7 countries are listed on Trump's travel ban

Or try here: Full text of Trump's executive order on 7-nation ban, refugee suspension - CNNPolitics

e.g.

Exactly. So how can you claim that it is only about Islam?

I would suggest it's more about the way it is practiced in specific countries.

So would you:

* Initiate a ban or stronger vetting based on another country's borders (not race / religion)? or
    * Let in people from any country when there is a high probability they will be a threat to the very ideals you espouse?

It's not an easy decision.

Do you think America should have let German Nazis immigrate to it's country during WW2?

MTR likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I have read it - my question is why only those countries and not the actual countries the terrorists who have perpetrated acts in the US actually came from?

If they aren't banning from the countries the actual terrorists came from, countries that have the same criteria and history as those actually banned - and you claim it's not about religion or race - then what is the actual ban about?

Getting off topic

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Saudi Arabia? Perhaps there should be a ban, but I suspect monetary / economic / political interests here are too substantial to rock the boat.

But none of this is specific to Trump... why didn't Obama put such countries on the 2016 "countries of concern" list?

As above I think it's more so the way it is practiced in some countries and higher likelihood of extremists i.e. not Islam as a whole, rather countries where it is practiced in specific ways. Just because an attack on the US hasn't yet been successful by citizens of a particular country doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a risk...

Same question to you, do you think America should have let German Nazis immigrate to it's country during WW2?
    Even though many of them would have been good people and not agreed with what was being done to Jews?

MTR likes this.
  20. geoffw

The original ban in January included only Muslim countries. It was thrown out by the courts, and a new ban came out some months later with a slightly altered list of countries.

To completely ban anybody from a given country I regard as inherently racist. It implies that everybody from that same country is the same.

Extreme vetting based on a probability is different. It's not a blanket exclusion, but looks at the circumstances and character of each person.

America let many Germans into its country. But very many Germans were not Nazis. To imply that they all were is wrong.

The US interred many people of Japanese descent, ossibly German too. That was wrong. Yet some of the interred Japanese, when given the chance, volunteered to fight for the US. I knew one of them.

Lizzie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.