Mail bombs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lizzie, 27th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Mod note: split off from another thread

I gather my post was taken down - so will try again (please explain why if removed) as several on the forum seem to be of the opinion that it is "not" Trump that is stirring up violence and racism, yet the perpetrators of violence and racism seem to strongly indicate otherwise. That is the genius of Trump - he's brilliant at stirring up behaviour that is not acceptable

They've caught the bomber ... quote ... "... a troubled loner who showed little interest in politics before the rise of President Donald Trump

Sayoc's social media accounts are peppered with memes supporting Trump, denigrating Democrats, and promoting conspiracy theories about George Soros ... "

The 'loner' arrested over pipe bomb packages

To quote George Washington: "Example, whether it be good or bad, has a powerful influence and the higher the Rank of the Officer who sets it, the more striking it is"

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Oct, 2018
    Redwing and wategos like this.
  2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Lizzie and Ambit like this.
  3. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Yes we have seen a increase in vitriol, false accusations, prejudicial and hateful views since Trump has been elected, this hasn't been limited to one side.

The number of Trump threads on this site would be a prime example.

MTR likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The majority is from Trump - and the number of threads is no indication as you'll find most posts are polite, factual and simply concerned citizens of the world. No vitriol or inflammatory language

There has also been a large increase in unprovoked abuse (and killings) towards non-white groups in the US, which is incredibly sad

Ambit likes this.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Which data are you looking at to support this view?

MTR likes this.
  6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Because you asked.

The rises aren't huge but are significant, 12% year on year in 2017 - but then, this is after a decline following a huge spike after 9/11.

Again, a US publication. For some reason, Australian media doesn't cover this subject to the same depth of US media.
    New data shows US hate crimes continued to rise in 2017 (a middle of the road publication)

A UK publication: New figures have revealed an unprecedented surge in hate crimes during the year of Trump's election

Latinos, via npr: Hate Crimes Against Latinos Increase In California

Muslims, via PolitiFact: U.S. anti-Muslim hate crimes rose 15 percent in 2017: advocacy group | Reuters

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Ambit, Redwing, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

Interesting, but looks like the data was trending already. Would you attribute the increase in 2017 to Trump when the data shows it has been trending higher since 2013?

upload_2018-10-27_20-23-4.png

8. geoffw

That's a fair point - though actually it started upward from 2014. Trump's campaign started in 2015.

However, there is this from the same article: Screenshot_20181027-205959.png

Perhaps it indicates that Trump has become popular because of a rise in racial discrimination.

Last edited: 27th Oct, 2018
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Maybe Hillary won the popular vote because of a rise in anti-white hate crimes... being facetious of course, but the blame people are ascribing to Trump is ridiculous.

There is a lot of data to show the polarisation between Democrats and Republicans is growing. It is probably going to contribute to more extreme candidates at both ends of the political spectrum.

And continuing violence from both the extreme left and right.

[​IMG]

MTR likes this.
  10. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

It's not ridiculous at all, Trump often inaccurately attacks minority groups, and the consequence is some of his blinkered followers act on this unfortunately.

11. geoffw

I don't think that ascribing blame is ridiculous. There's been many statements which have been at minimum racially biased.

I started to list, but it was getting too long.

Racial views of Donald Trump - Wikipedia

Many more covert than overt.

Ambit, wylie, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  12. geoffw

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Cherry picking these types of comments out of context is one of the reasons voters are becoming disillusioned with the (primarily left-leaning) mainstream media.

Bannon is a nationalist. It's a huge stretch to suggest that his comments about wearing someone else's insults as a badge of honour was being racist. Do you have a more convincing (& less cherry picked) quote to show Bannon is a racist? There may be something out there...

Lizzie and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Voters Are Becoming deillusioned...... that happened 2 years ago...

Guest likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Disillusioned with what and who? Many are furious that Trump is allowed to run roughshod over things and isn't stopped or reigned in, even by those who clearly are opposed to his actions.

I wonder why the voter turnout for the mid-terms is more than double the usual turnout?

17. geoffw

I thought that was quite unequivocal, not cherry picked. Bannon was the apparent architect of the first failed Muslim ban, and his Breitbart has had some rather unpleasant views of Islam.

But Bannon is not the subject of the thread, I raised him only insofar as his influence on Trump, though I didn't clarify that.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Islam is not a race. It is a political / religious ideology.

People can be unjustly discriminated against as a result of their beliefs, but it's very different to being discriminated against due to something you can't change (e.g. colour of your skin).

From memory Trump's travel ban was based on high risk countries (identified during the Obama administration), there wasn't a blanket ban on ALL Muslims that I am aware of.. or am I wrong?

MTR likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Interesting that they were trending up, seemed to have stablised somewhat between 2015-16 ... but then doglegged up again in 2016

However. The comment was about abuse towards blacks and Latino's (mainly blacks) and this charts covers "all" hate crimes and hence doesn't distinguish and it is difficult to find any recent data.

Maybe it's just more social media reporting, but barely a day goes by when there isn't a posting about some white person abusing a black for (I'll post the actual video'd stories if you wish):

- attending their kids football game
    - sitting next to them in the allocated seat on a plane
    - starting their car in the supermarket carpark
    - walking down the hall to their upmarket condo
    - simply breathing

Perhaps this article explains their situation more fully - Black Americans are still victims of hate crimes more than any other group

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

What's that got to do with the mail bomber - and the fact that (asides from 9/11) only 9 "terrorist act" in the US has been carried out by LEGAL immigrants - but - by far the most attacks have been carried out by a white, male, christians?

White American men are a bigger domestic terrorist threat than Muslim foreigners

America since 9/11: timeline of attacks linked to the 'war on terror'

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.