Magnesite flooring - unit block

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Gockie, 9th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi people,
    I have a unit in a unit block and the unit above me has the floor with this issue. Pic attached. Can anybody recommend the course of action? Our body corporate doesn't have too much money in the sinking fund.

I also think its possible it will be extremely costly to fix, if other units in the complex have the same issue there are (72 units in the complex).

For this unit, no single particular incident is known to have caused this problem therefore it cant come out of insurance. :oops::(
    Thoughts welcome please.

Screenshot_2015-10-09-19-38-08.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It's hard to tell what I'm looking at. Is it a type of concrete coating that is crumbling?

3. Gockie

Yes, and it eats into the metal structural parts of the flooring. :(

4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    It does look like that indeed.
    What is the issue exactly? I assume you have concrete underneath as is usually the case?
    Can you resurface with a thin layer of concrete as used in tiling and tile/carpet on top?

Is the unit room/unit humid? Magnesite hates humidity and will bubble and dislocate in the presence of humidity.

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

How does it eat? Rust?

6. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

From the top left corner of your photo, it looks like the rods in the concrete structure of the building are exposed and rusted: it looks like you have concrete cancer - I have not seen it happen indoors before.

7. Gockie

More pics
    Screenshot_2015-10-09-23-34-21.png Screenshot_2015-10-09-23-33-59.png Screenshot_2015-10-09-23-33-42.png

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's well known in the industry that magnesite does cause concrete cancer. Looking at your last photo Linda, the reo has insufficient concrete cover. Your contractor will need to strip the magnesite (may have asbestos as a filler if you're @fullylucky). Treat the rust on the reo, then apply epoxy concrete.

Is it on ground or suspended?

Gingin likes this.
  9. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

Humidity and magnesite don't mix

10. Gockie

Thanks Scott. Its one level up.

11. Scott No Mates

In that case, you will need an ingunear to give you a report (push for BC to pay for it and the repairs since it is structural).

12. Gockie

I just read the related email... sounds like fun.
    :(

This is not my unit but the one above mine. I'm just thinking it could be very expensive if this is discovered in other people's units too, and with a 72 units in the complex, I'd say thats very possible.
    At least I can comfort myself, knowing that in the current market I can sell it for double what I paid in 2011...

2015-10-10 00.03.28.png

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Making me scared because I have to report to BC some issues in my unit too. Hope the damage is not going to be too much and keep us updated on how you go.

14. Gockie

What are your issues? Magnesite flooring too? I hope not... :(

Anyway, in our case, not good for the owner because now the place has been untenanted for maybe 6 weeks while it gets resolved. Hope they get the loss of rent back on insurance.
    And its not good for the rest of us, having this repair bill to foot. 2 companies quoted 30k+ to fix but another company said about 10k. We really wonder why there is this huge price variation.

15. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

As you know all the tradies are too busy atm with various projects in Sydney. Have a feeling that the 30k quote was someone who may have had too many jobs and was only willing to take it if someone was willing to pay a crazy price. One of my friend who does silicon work for various building companies started with only 3 workers this year, but now have at least 7 workers working for him and it's still not the end of the year! He told me that he is still working 7 days a week and thinks for his business he has a good solid 3 years of work lines up atm.

My issue at the moment is the bathroom on the ensuite is leaking and coming through the carpet and wall.

16. Gockie

Really good. :)
    See, the strata manager got the 2x 30k plus quotes, but the owner of the affected unit got the quote that was about 10k. So another idea is that maybe the 30k+ ones quoted so high because its a strata manager's request for work while the other is for a private individual? Just it makes me wonder if 10k will properly fix it. Or are the other 2 completely overcharging?

Better attend to that ASAP.

17. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Magnesite lifting is a common issue. It the sort of thing you tend to do as they occur rather than en masse removal across 72 units.

Even 10k is high, removal is not a difficult process (have done it myself) and treatment of spalling can be done by a remedial builder.

Gockie likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

+1@davem - it does require an ingunear's report to guide the repair but the work is not major.

Also need to consider reinstatement of sound proofing

Gockie likes this.