QLD Mackay/Airlie Beach - suggested suburbs for owner occupier purchase

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sporadik, 26th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sporadik

sporadik Member

Hi folks,

I recently settled on my first IP in South Brisbane. I'm now looking to make to the move from NSW up to QLD and purchase a new owner occupier for myself. I've been looking around the Mackay/Airlie Beach suburbs, predominantly because I'm a fisherman and there's heaps of islands around those areas to explore.

I'm looking for a quality 3 or 4 bedroom family home with 700+ sqm and to spend upwards of $750k. I work from home mostly but still need to travel to Sydney a few days every quarter or thereabouts. Which means I'd like to be close enough (max 60 min drive) to a regional airport.

I'm wondering if anyone could share some suburbs they'd suggest I take a closer look at and any others that I should stay clear of for certain reasons (e.g. demographic, flooding, etc.). I'm planning to make the trek up to QLD in the next few weeks on a scouting mission. So it would be great if I had a list of suburbs to focus my time on.

Not settled on Mackay/Airlie Beach. Happy to entertain other suggestions.

wilso8948 and 27649 like this.
  2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ummm, its for a PPOR. How would anyone else know what's suitable for you?

When we were looking, we flew up almost every weekend for several months.

3. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

The Northern Beaches of Mackay have some good areas. Your budget will stretch well there and not so well in Airlie Beach.

T-Money likes this.
  4. KieranMcInnes

KieranMcInnes New Member

It depends what you are looking for in Mackay:
    - Older house 800 square + block Mackay West, however street by street for flood zone. I feel over time this will all be a flood zone anyway.
    - I live at the Northern beaches of Mackay - lots of infrastructure happening out this way.
    - We are in Richmond hills (Richmond) lots of professionals good community, block size is 600-1000 (700+ for a house). Sugarview the next suburb over 1000m+ blocks however no blocks and minimal houses sell but when they do 1mil+
    - Plantation palms/pioneer - are new estates also.

Mackay is ~1 hour 15 - 30minutes from Airlee beach.

5. Sam123456

Sam123456 Well-Known Member

Tell people what lifestyle/family facilities the need/want.