VIC Macedon/woodend vs kinglake/St Andrews

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Barny, 11th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Hey peeps, calling Victorians or people in the know.

Both are about 1hr drive into the city, 60km. What do you think has the better potential for growth?

Which makes for a better living lifestyle?

2. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

It would depend on whether you're a hippie or not!

Barny likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Kinglake/St Andrews. I'd love a place in St Andrews or Kangaroo Ground. Or anywhere past Heidelberg for that matter.

I'm not sure what would drive growth in either place though.

Barny likes this.
  4. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I don`t think it is the right moment to buy in Melbourne unless looking to develop. 1hr becomes easily more with traffic. Depends what sort of property you are looking at. What do you want to achieve?

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

so true about the hippie comment, but love both areas for long term lifestyle move eventually.
    @Luca you bring up a great point, I personally agree with you about purchasing now in Melbourne as I think it's peaking.
    Not subdividing, this will be eventually be a new family home, and although it's a personal lifestyle choice and returns aren't the deciding factor, I am definitely curious what would achieve the biggest return over the years.

I've spent time in both areas and love them both, but I don't know these areas from an investment point.

But what are people's thoughts on these areas coming back in price too?
    Easy to understand areas closer to CBD within 20-30km, are areas much further out classified in the same class? And as @Bran mentioned, I don't know what will drive growth here either.

Looking at something like this..

39 Grandview Crescent Kinglake Vic 3763 - Lifestyle for Sale #7816378 - realestate.com.au

35 Elvin Drive Kinglake Vic 3763 - House for Sale #122186110 - realestate.com.au

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The view of the first is stunning, but is the land usable? (Even for kids to play)

The second... living room is cramped. If there is one thing you don't have to compromise on in that part of the world, it's space.

Where do you work/how long til retirement?

7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Macedon ranges would be my bet. Look at gisbornes growth, Gisborne is very commutable to the city too. Woodend and lancefield are lovely I would like to buy a weekender there.

Barny likes this.
  8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

The first property in king lake ticks a lot of boxes for me though. Air BnB income to boot.

Barny and Bran like this.
  9. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

All of them appeal to me for retirement.

Somehow I feel Macedon and woodend are more accessible...

10. Christopher and Jason

Christopher and Jason New Member

We live in the Macedon Ranges already. been in this shire for well over 20 years… If its a investment your looking for, will need to look else were, as the return is under 5%, as prices and rental yield don't work together. used to be a great place (10 years ) ago to purchase a great buy, but now we are getting the city people into the outer suburbs, as city prices become substantially high. We have a farm we purchased back in 2002 of 140 acres, 30 mins from Melbourne Airport, and 45 mins to the city…. We live behind Wallan (20mins) of the Hume freeway. We have noticed a huge demand for new homes and land packages from Craigieburn up to and including Wallan. Still a small chance for investors to get a good rental, as is a straight run down the Hume freeway to city, and a great train line service (Vline). Hope this helps… regards Christopher.. As per photo, Im the one on the right… ;)

Barny and Bran like this.
  11. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I wont be retiring anytime soon that I can see(maybe if my daveron park house triples in value), Work travel from Macedon is about 36min, and from kinglake about an hour. I might be working over in south east if I take a new role in another year, so that will be to far a drive from Macedon if I take the job, unless I rent near the new role and keep the Macedon house as a rental which I was thinking of doing initially anyhow.
    Good point about the land being useable, not sure till I go check em out in person. But Macedon seems to have much more useable land.

Here's one I love but out of my price range that we can afford.

130 Mountain Rd Macedon Vic 3440 - House for Sale #120501973 - realestate.com.au

I wish this had more land

66 Marshall Avenue Macedon Vic 3440 - House for Sale #121940138 - realestate.com.au

12. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Hi guys, appreciate the response. is the market hot in Macedon currently? Or does it seem to just plot along, I've checked growth over the years and it seems to plot along but perhaps you could share how it is from an insider living there. It will be a family home eventually, was wondering if it would be best to just hold off a couple years or more and then buy, or do you see it rising for some particular reason?

I know the herald recently published an article mentioning people are moving out from the city and buying in Macedon but I don't believe everything I read.
    Few work friends have been buying up in Macedon and mainly Gisbourne, Gisbourne isn't what I'm after, love Macedon.

13. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

Have a look at Beaconsfield Upper. 43km from the cbd and can commute via Wellington rd.

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Cheers, leaning towards Macedon.
    Called council today and blocks can't be subdivided which works well for me, don't won't neighbours right next to me, keeps the country feel for ever.