Food & Dining MacDonalds and the Humble burger

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 5th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Come on mark, let's be reasonable here. It's got nothing to do with being perpetually aggrieved, I'm a long way away from that.

I just don't think jokes about bill Cosby potentially raping 50 different women are funny. Maybe you and xanh do but I don't.

If someone's going to make a highly inappropriate joke let it at least be funny for God's sake, there was nothing particularly witty about this at all

2. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

I know this. I'm just tired of anytime anyone says something even *slightly* controversial getting shouted down with accusations encompassing a wide spectrum of labels.

3. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Studdup, Mark! :p

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

All this talk of burgers made me hungry! I went to Macca's and created my taste - 2x slabs of meat, 2x slices of cheese, pickles, lettuce and tomato sauce!!!!! Was in a food coma after that! haha.

MTR likes this.
  5. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

My top burgers places in Melbourne are Bad Boys in punch lane (wagyu Pattie, awesome chips), and Simpson's burgers and chips (more aussie bbq style, really good). I hear good things about Rockwell & Sons and Tuck Shop takeaway but haven't got to them yet.

Huxtaburger, meh... Misty's diner in Prahran is ok if you like American style, but when they get busy their service goes down the gurgler. I don't like waiting an hour for my burger.

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Lucky! I've never been to a regular season game. He's gotten pretty far, damn the Aussie NFL 'fans' for hating on him, hope he makes the final roster.
    You should get a pretty ordinary burger for quite a substantial amount in New Orleans? Hold out and get some authentic gumbo after the game.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I will rely on my new found American friends to give me an intro to all things American.

Azazel likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Coolness. Had a quick look at the schedule, will you be in New Orleans?

9. larrylarry

No, I won't be. I will be in SF city for a week and Bay area for a bit then spending christmas in Lake Tahoe before going to LA etc.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ah, very nice. Is it a SF home game? Dec 20th V Bengals?
    In that case, skip the overpriced burgers/dogs at the game and get a clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at fishermans wharf ;)
    Are you driving down the coast?

11. larrylarry

We will be driving. Yes, Levis stadium is a home game. You are right, it's 20, a Sunday game. I wasn't into clam chowder when I was there. We'll do some fun stuff with kids, like cycling over the GG Bridge and ice skating at Union Square. Disneyland and other stuff. I have planned our schedule up to the time in Lake Tahoe and thereafter, my wife will do the planning. We'll go to Hawaii for a week before heading back to Sydney.

12. Mombius Hibachi

[​IMG]

13. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Had the most delicious burger and chips ( I don’t normally eat burgers) at
    Flip on York st Launceston last nite. Wasn't expecting much but was blown away. Highly recommend.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't describe Maccas like that- but a custom burger with extras could easily cost more than that. Daughters built one with not too many extras and it came to $12.95. For a crapburger!

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have romantic memories of this, many years ago.

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I definitely want to go to SF too, I've had a man crush on chris cosentino for years, his food looks amazing.

And I want this god damn muffin, a bacon muffin with a half boiled egg inside it. Seriously.

I sent a friend there when he was in uber school and it apparently tastes even better than it looks which is some achievement

Attached Files:

Azazel likes this.
  17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There should be a law against it.
    There's a weird disconnect between quality and price. You can make an awesome burger pattie youself and whack it with some salad, bacon, egg, pineapple, cheese, steak - whatever floats your boat - on a bun for pretty cheap. The bigger lot of it you make, the cheaper it gets. I could sell the same thing from a food van from $5 to probably $8.50 for a massive one with everything and still make money.
    I don't get how these wanky burger chains charge over $12. And that's without even chips or a drink.
    Actually, I should say I don't get how people pay that for an average burger.
    I guess the difference is all the advertising costs and hipster fitout.

18. larrylarry

I don't know about burgers. Unless they are really bad, I can stomach most burgers.

19. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Anyone for Merrywells in Melbourne (convention centre end of crown)...very juicy tasty burgers with nice soft buns

20. Mombius Hibachi

What's that about nice soft buns?