Macbank screw up - should I just pretend like I didn't know?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by jaybean, 25th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Macbank accidentally set all my investment loans to regular instead of investment. It makes a big difference if I want to get an equity release if all 3 homes are considered PPOR but due to the recent investor rate increase it could leave me better off to leave things the way they are. What do you guys think?

I have three main loans which I plan on refinancing, in the following order:

1) NAB - needs a refinance asap due to IO running out soon, 80% LVR

2) Bankwest - plenty of equity to unlock, 70% LVR

3) Macbank - plenty of equity to unlock, but unlikely I will be able to as my serviceability is already stretched and likely to be decimated after I finish with #2.

So if I may not be able to get an equity release anyway given my financial situation perhaps it's for the best. What do you guys think? I have proof that it's their screw up and my broker thinks I will be able to have them switch the types without any penalties, fees etc but perhaps I can pretend like I didn't know until such time that it benefits me...

The only reason this might be a bad idea I can think of is if I'm more likely to be able to extract equity from Macbank than Bankwest due to all the recent APRA changes, so I would have to reorder the plan above.

I should also add that a lot of my properties are shared, which limits my options (have to find banks that don't count the whole debt against me etc), which explains some of the bank's that I'm with (also have loans with AMP, who used to be decent...).

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It doesn't matter from a tax point of view. Whats the worry?

3. jaybean

When it comes to get an equity release from them won't it matter then? Do they have different calculators for PPOR loans? (And won't other banks look unfavorably at them too when they are assessing my other loans?)

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
  4. Terry_w

Tax deductibility is determined what the borrowed funds are used for.

5. jaybean

But I'm not talking about tax, I'm asking whether it will affect my ability to refinance.

6. Terry_w

don't see why it would

7. jaybean

Awesome so it's in my interests to just be quiet about it and get the lower rates:)

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just check your paperwork to ensure you did not accidentally give information that led the bank to believe it was not an investment application.
    Marg

9. jaybean

No here's how it went down:

They screwed up the initial setup (I think they gave us an LOC instead of an offset, or something like that). At that point in time it was all setup properly except this one issue. But they said to change it, they had to cancel all the accounts and recreate them with no fees, penalties etc. In the process of fixing this it seems they've screwed it up again. My broker says the initial application clearly spells out what we were after.

10. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Why Macbank anyway?