Macarthur heights or Austral/Leppington

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by sunny nemkul, 3rd Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sunny nemkul

sunny nemkul New Member

Hello Guys!

I am a first home buyer, looking to build a new house. ATM, I am very confused about which area to choose. I am in my mid thirty with 2 kids.

My concern is which area is better to live. At the same time which property will make more value in 5 years time.

Just need some insight. Thank you in advance.

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

A lot of development happening in the region. Why limit yourself to those 2?
    Have a good look around.

3. Kite

Kite Member

If you're looking to build a place to live don't worry too much about value growth. Number 1, if you build where you love then you never need to sell so the price doesn't matter. Number 2, if you like it as a place to live, in general others are going to eventually cotton on and the values will catch up.

4. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

Don't buy anything new if capital growth is important to you, they under-perform. But if it's going to be your PPOR, buy whatever tickles your fancy.

Those areas you mentioned have a high risk of infill. They are greenfield estates loaded with new stock and more room for additional supply. Supply is the enemy of capital growth.

The following are house markets with a median under $750k and are all within 20km of Campbelltown. They have lower infill risk and respectable-to-high demand to supply ratios.

Suburb DSR+ Median
    HOXTON PARK 72 $708k
    EAGLE VALE 69 $589k
    GREEN VALLEY 68 $713k
    PRESTONS 65 $749k
    HINCHINBROOK 64 $726k
    MACQUARIE FIELDS 63 $587k
    BOW BOWING 63 $594k
    NARELLAN VALE 62 $666k
    CAMDEN SOUTH 62 $661k
    BUSBY 61 $572k

Scorpion, craigc and mitsui like this.
  5. sunny nemkul

sunny nemkul New Member

Thank you all for your insights ...

I have narrow down to :

I am looking to get in Macarthur heights , land size: 375 m^2, land price: $385000- $400000.
    Or

Austral , land size : 306 m^2 land price: $395,000

Looking to build a double story house ,

Which one will be better for future living and capital growth.

Thank you in advance.

6. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

I strongly urge you to look at other options if you're after capital growth. Both those options will have very low land to asset ratios (LAR). They are ridiculously small blocks too.

If the build costs you $400k, you're looking at an LAR <50%. That is very poor. I wouldn't touch anything with only 60% LAR.

On top of that there's room for more supply which will suppress growth in the future.

Buy an old house on a large block in a built up area if you're after growth.

But if growth isn't your interest, go with your heart or eeny meeny miney mo.

Scorpion, mitsui and craigc like this.
  7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

where do you think capital growth will come from?

how do you get around the huge potential supply, high building to price ratio, least potential for gentrification and redevelopment?

for 800k you could get an old house on a decent block of land on a trainline. Do you just want to live in new? Want the fhb new grants etc, even if it might mean less growth?

Your post comes across as ‘which new estate should i buy in’ instead of ‘what is the property that best fits my needs and wants’. You want to live in new? Fine. But have a think about why you think those who say new estates have little growth are wrong.

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2020
    Scorpion and craigc like this.